gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 03:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Coventry 1982ish
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Coventry 1982ish  (Read 1685 times)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Coventry 1982ish
« on: May 27, 2007, 11:16 AM »
I know this is well random but...
In 1980/1/2 I spent a few weeks in Coundon Sp in Coventry with my uncle, I met a few BMXers on my stay and we rode solidly together for a few weeks, The highlight being pool jumping in a big park!! Does this bring back any memories for anyone
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Coventry 1982ish
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:23 AM »
i have alot of family in coventry.
lazarou would no about all the places to have ridden but hes vanished.
my aunty had a hotel parkview ,on park view road and i rode a few times around
that area but there wasnt alot of bmx stuff around that i noticed.till a few years later.

Voodoocars

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:34 AM »
I'm from Coventry and we used to ride a place called 'Devils Dungeon' which is over the road from the memorial park.Its still there and I've ridden it recently.I used to live quite a few miles from there so mainly (in the early days-1981/2) rode in Caludon Park in the Wyken area.Later on we had a 1/4 pipe behind the Tiger Moth pub in the Earnsford Grange area.Spent many days there getting high airs off that ramp.If my memory is right ,the ramp was given to us by a bmx club that was ran in Coventry at the time.It was metal framed with the main ramp part painted blue.I also remember the ramp being in a car park under the ring road (before we got it) and a lot of kids went there-at night as well 'cause it was lit up.
I also rode on a track and a ramp that we built behind Henley college.We also built a 1/4 pipe in the car park of a rugby club at the bottom of wyken croft road.I dont think kids would get away with things like that now! Ian. 

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 12:47 PM »
I'm from Coventry and we used to ride a place called 'Devils Dungeon' which is over the road from the memorial park.Its still there and I've ridden it recently.I used to live quite a few miles from there so mainly (in the early days-1981/2) rode in Caludon Park in the Wyken area.Later on we had a 1/4 pipe behind the Tiger Moth pub in the Earnsford Grange area.Spent many days there getting high airs off that ramp.If my memory is right ,the ramp was given to us by a bmx club that was ran in Coventry at the time.It was metal framed with the main ramp part painted blue.I also remember the ramp being in a car park under the ring road (before we got it) and a lot of kids went there-at night as well 'cause it was lit up.
I also rode on a track and a ramp that we built behind Henley college.We also built a 1/4 pipe in the car park of a rugby club at the bottom of wyken croft road.I dont think kids would get away with things like that now! Ian. 

fook me devils dungeons - spent half of my child hood there - being a  cov kid

maddo

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I also remember the ramp being in a car park under the ring road (before we got it) and a lot of kids went there-at night as well 'cause it was lit up.

This car park was my second home during the early-mid 90s.  It was my main flatland spot, and it was also ridden frequently by the local street riders (Daz, Steve, Toves, Philbert, Tony, Fraggle, Chris, Sonny, Colin).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:44 AM by maddo »

JT71

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 05:30 PM »
still Philbert's favorite skate park that car park, back of the boys club, he loves it.

maddo

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 05:37 PM »
still Philbert's favorite skate park that car park, back of the boys club, he loves it.

Yeah, he was there on Sunday when I saw him for the first time since about 1998.

Lazarou

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:26 PM »
I also remember the ramp being in a car park under the ring road (before we got it) and a lot of kids went there-at night as well 'cause it was lit up.

This car park was my second home during the early-mid 90s.  It was my main flatland spot, and it was also ridden frequently by the local street riders (Daz, Steve, Toves, Philbert, Tony, Fraggle, Chris, Sonny, Colin).

Andy?

Voodoocars

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:21 PM »
'Toves'   I knew Ian Tovey well- he lived over the road from the Tiger Moth pub in Earnsford Grange where the blue 1/4 ramp from the boys club car park ended up.I'm still in touch on Farcebook with another old rider called Rick Hubbard. He keeps threatening to come to creation with me but I dont think he's got the bottle! :daumenhoch: There was a few I think I can remember from about 84 ish-  Ian Tovey,Rick Hubbard, Ian Reay (me), Paul Faulonbridge, Brian Jarrat (he bust his leg at the indoor racing in the sport centre and never rode again), John Bowden. By the way, did anyone go to the GT freestyle show in the Cov sport centre to watch Eddie Fiola etc. I did and I got to meet Eddie but I've lost his autograph. I think he still has mine tho'....

maddo

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 10:59 PM »

Andy?

yes, tony.

maddo

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 11:06 PM »
'Toves'   I knew Ian Tovey well- he lived over the road from the Tiger Moth pub in Earnsford Grange where the blue 1/4 ramp from the boys club car park ended up.I'm still in touch on Farcebook with another old rider called Rick Hubbard. He keeps threatening to come to creation with me but I dont think he's got the bottle! :daumenhoch: There was a few I think I can remember from about 84 ish-  Ian Tovey,Rick Hubbard, Ian Reay (me), Paul Faulonbridge, Brian Jarrat (he bust his leg at the indoor racing in the sport centre and never rode again), John Bowden. By the way, did anyone go to the GT freestyle show in the Cov sport centre to watch Eddie Fiola etc. I did and I got to meet Eddie but I've lost his autograph. I think he still has mine tho'....

Yeah, I know Rick - in fact I may see him Saturday night - a few beers for Daz V's 40th.  Remember Daz V?  PK Ripper?  I'll mention you, Ian.

Check this http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2012151&id=659650035

Oh, and I guess this is the ramp @ the Tiger Moth  http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1868543&id=679837293
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:11 PM by maddo »

Voodoocars

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 12:04 PM »
Yeah I remember Darren. Had a look at the photos and yes that is the ramp. Have a word with Rick and get him out on a bike...

ROX

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 03:27 PM »
I know this is well random but...
In 1980/1/2 I spent a few weeks in Coundon Sp in Coventry with my uncle, I met a few BMXers on my stay and we rode solidly together for a few weeks, The highlight being pool jumping in a big park!! Does this bring back any memories for anyone

I grew up in the Allesley Park area which is only down the road from Coundon.

We used to do lots of pool jumping in the big Allesley Park pool before they filled it with water for the summer hols!

I don't have any specific memories, but we often used to hook up with anyone with a similar interest at the time (I was 10/11/12 in those years btw).

The pool wasn't big enough to get serious air out of, but it was always good fun!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Coventry 1982ish

gfxgfx
gfx gfx