gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 06:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  OSSS race bikes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OSSS race bikes  (Read 7640 times)

DR VINOAH

OSSS race bikes
« on: May 26, 2007, 03:57 PM »
not sure if we done this or not

can we see all the bikes in the OSSS class
basically for those who havnt been to the series yet
or for those who maybe curious as to enter the possible winter series OSWS
also just a chance to view the fine 80,s craftmanship thats still being used today :coolsmiley:

there,s 25 plus bikes in all

so lets se those berm battle machines :4_17_5:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: OSSS race bikes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 04:58 PM »
OK, Steve here's my chosen weapon for berm warfare.  It's not quite as old as maybe it ought to be but meets the 1" threaded steerer and caliper brake rule.  It's an Anniversary Edition frame I got off of Ratty after my HAWK tried to kill me.  The cranks are Redline running in a DMR WonderCup bb bracket adapter with a 45t TNT chainring.  Tyres are 1.5" Intense on some rims I had lying around off a Mongoose.  Very much a build of convenience because most of the parts I have are NuSkool but I'm looking around for an old lever and caliper, preferably in green if anyone has - not concourse as this is a functional ride not a showpiece.

How about a short profile of the riders too??  Real name Alan Humphrey born same year as Festival of Britain.  When BMX was born I was racing cars on the oval tracks but started riding BMX at Braintree about eight years ago in dads races.  Have ridden a few Regionals on my cruiser and stacked at Norwich after realising that jumping is easy; landing isn't!!  Love the OSSS races and will carry on competing for last place as long as I can.

Who's next??  Humps

magna13

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 05:29 PM »
heres mine... whatch out its a bomb waiting to expolde  :LolLolLolLol:

magna13

KGB Matt

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 05:34 PM »
Right then

Here is my weapon of choice , She is a KGB Race frame made to order in 1984 ( 14th Birthday present )

Recently re powdered and re built for the OSSS 07.

4130 cromeoly frame and forks with extended top tubes ( 19 1/2" ) remember i was 14.

Araya 1.5 wheels

175 crank with 44/16 gearing.

Profile :Real name - Matthew Oaten , born end of 1970 ,I started racing after going to watch a m8 ,borrowing a lid and getting hooked.
Retired after 4 years and having badly damaged knees @ 16 yrs old. ( the philosophy of win or crash trying is not a good one.)
Having a laugh and ill fight Humps all the way for the last spot.
 :2gunsfiring_v1:

Matt
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:42 AM by KGB Matt »

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 05:49 PM »
Here's mine  :2gunsfiring_v1:

:) DINGO :)

Offline SE MARK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 06:58 PM »
Heres mine its a Harry leary survivor and its my third bike of the series, my other two being a Pacer 500 and a Pk Ripper, but im gonna stick with this one from now on i think .                                                                      My profile Real name Mark Leetham born August 1971 and i never raced bitd and never realised what id been missing untill recently . Loving every minute of it .    :smitten:                                                                                                     

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 07:16 PM »
Heres me on my beloved Redline PL20, which was my first Old School buy off San Marco just over a year ago. I change the parts all the time trying to "dial it in". It has developed a few stress areas round the welds so I am keeping a close eye on it to make sure it dont crack. I will be gutted when I finally retire it for good.

In the OSSS there is some serious metal being raced including bikes that most would "hang on the wall" So hats off to you guys that race the real beauties.

My Bio, Real name Tony Waye I am 41 years old. My first race was at Buckmore Park in Chatham in 1981, on my mongoose 2.

I scored a few podium places in my racing, but my age group included Andy Ruffell, Keith Wilson, Tony Slater, Mark "Sid" Salisbury, Kev reviere, Jamie Vince to name a few.
My best memories are staying with some of the americans when we went to Holland in 1982 with Hotshot and Getting 3rd place in a National at Ipswich
I got sponsored by Masons bike shop then ACE racing and then by Hotshot.

I retired in the Winter of 1983 after dislocating my Knee, I was on crutches for nearly 6 months, in that time I started enjoying women drink etc.

I am now back, and this time Im gonna hand around, with Alan Humps leading the way at 55, I guess I have a possible 15 years left racing and hopefully more :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 07:18 PM by RATTY »
A long time ago, in a land far away!

DR VINOAH

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 08:02 PM »
ace

now thats the stuff we need

alan i did forgot to even think of bio,s,great idea "man and his bike" :daumenhoch:

ok fella,s who,s next?

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 08:05 PM »
Here's my weapon of choice.  :2gunsfiring_v1:

se

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 07:20 AM »
I haven't got a single pic of my bike other than this kindly taken a few weeks ago.

Anyway, it's a Ripper I bought about three years ago and has Flites, UKAIs, SE Wing Bars, Suntour stem, Lightning Bolt seat etc. I never had a Ripper in the 80s and always wanted one.

Dead right about racing these bikes rather than treating them like museum pieces. I always treated my bikes like sh&t, so why stop now? The corner of my street has a few bits of Hutch beartrap ground into the tarmac but I can still live with myself.

Real name Steve Earl, started racing in 83 on a lumpy on Cycle Pro, did Pontins that year, raced a few club races in the Midlands the next year, club was Malvern Rebel Force, the track in the abandoned military camp. Then in 85 I didn't race much, can't remember why, probably too busy with a BBC Model B. Then did UKBMX in 86 with Wordsley Warriors the best club in the UK at the time although me being in it probably dragged them down a bit. Quit racing at the end of that year as it was getting too expensive to travel so I got into skateboards instead. Born May 1973 so was in the same age group as Jamie Staff, Nathan Lunn, Lee Pickstone.

I still have the GT that was my bike back then and after several nasty run-ins with Hammerite it's now back in chrome and souped up. Might race that if I get to the MK thing. I am off to France for a few weeks now so not coming to any of the races for a while, and then it depends on Baby #2. I was hoping to get away from it all and forget about the OSSS for a few weeks so I don't miss it too much but I just checked and the place we're staying is called Les Vans.

DR VINOAH

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 03:20 PM »
thanks for the great info steve

the ol hutch beartrap gag ;D

best of luck with baby #2 ;)

Flaz

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 05:26 PM »
my  kuwi laserlite

martinp

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 05:58 PM »
Here's my battle machine, it's all 100% pure USA Hutch, and it likes to be thrashed. I bought it in 1984 and raced it until 1990, it gets an outing every once in a while.

Pro-tec

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Owned since 1984-5. Ladies and Germs, I give you......... My 1983 GHP

Here's my old GHP in action at Hersden. (this probably won't be the last excuse I'll find to re-post this pic)

Real name: Tim O'Regan. Born in the Summer of '68. Grew up (to a fashion) in Sarf London. Currently residing in a tiny Kentish village just inside to M25. Was offered a free ride to the races by my local bike shop in '81 but my old man in his wisdom refused to let me go  :idiot2: cheers pops. Had a ball racing the odd regional though, took home a little shiny stuff too. Knocked it all on the head late '85.

nishiki14

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 11:15 PM »
OK peeps, for those of you who don't know me or my machine, here's my wheels, '89 Robinson Pro, Blue Z's,  GT bars, GT one piece crank (none of that 3 piece crap), red renthal post (was a lay back)

As for me, my name's Sam Wonfor (although my real name is Daniel) I started racing in '81, first race at Albury, I got the 19 plate for the '82 season and full factory Nishiki sponsership (hence nishiki14), No. 5 plate for '83 with full factory GT and No.4 for '84 with full factory Peugeot Levi's, came 6th in Euro's '83 Birmingham/Dijon was invited to Tokyo for the World's but my tight arse team would only pay half and we couldnt afford to go and Louis Meres went and bloody won (not bitter though after 20 odd years :tickedoff:) Retired from national and international racing at the end of '84 and raced at Braintree and Eastway for a few years and had some bloody good times (me and my brother), tried to get back into it in '91 but it just didn't work, finally bought a lovely GT Fueller in '96 and took it to Slough where I came a cropper on the killer camels there and put myself in hospital for quite some time :10_2_12: and thats when I lost my bottle and thats why my wheels rarely leave the ground, anyway after speaking to Ratty after 22 years and meeting up with him and 796 at MK last year, I got 2nd in the B final and havn't looked back yet! Quallity Racing from a wicked bunch of lads (and lassie) with some nice machines, long may it continue and just for your information Steve, I started the same thread at the beginning of the season with no fooking replies. :LolLolLolLol:

DR VINOAH

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 11:35 PM »
tim
i gotta make you right
i show that pic in all if it was mine :smitten:

ace air over the rollers
by the way

ace info sam
as for the no show on your thread,maybe to early and no one had the fever yet
seeing as were now at round 5 and tings are hotting up
peeps now getting the itch

and yes long may it reign :4_17_5:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 09:02 AM »
Having never raced BITD I didn't have a clue what to get as an OS race bike. So have condensed 20 odd years of track testing into the last year

My first ever race at MK last year was on my trusty old TA

I then started the winter series on a Kuwahara KYZ. From there to a Taiwanese built Hutch Pro Racer, then a US built Hutch Expert Racer

Still not content with my choices I started the summer series on Mongoose Pro Class which is a fantastic race bike and took me to a B win and some fairly good placings for a newbie to racing. The only problem i found with it was that it was a bit TOO light, even for little old me.

So....

i downgraded to the heavier Supergoose 3, same geometry as the Pro Class but a bit heavier, I feel very happy on my bike, finally.  :smitten:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 09:10 AM »
nice bikes dudes, wish i lived closer by, lovin the ghp getting an airing  :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 11:00 AM »
do you still have your skyway jimwise68?

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 12:53 PM »
do you still have your skyway jimwise68?

Sorry mate, sold her last year.  :-[

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Jim, I gotta say mate, you have come on leaps and bounds, Im not so sure its because of the bike, probably more your confidence and race skills, even so, you have put some great metal on the track these last few months :daumenhoch:

Rooonga

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 07:06 PM »
I'll be posting my bike details once I get the framest back from Superbikedan, having it done in the baby blue colour of the 80's factory team so it should look the nuts when I get it back. (Tomorrow - I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas! :D )

One question about the OSSS bikes though..

I am changing my tyre for the series, (I was running a max daddy on the front, with original 80's compe 3 on the rear) However it looks like there are a few bikes running new rubber. My tyre should be here tomorrow anyway so gonna put a nice NOS compe 4 on it - but I thought I'd ask what tyres you all are running. (IE - proper old school ones - new versions of old school ones, or are you running mid/new school tyres?)

TA!!

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 07:30 PM »
Paul, we keep as much old school stuff as we can, the exceptions are chains, brake blocks and levers, tyres and tubes :daumenhoch:

QuadPaul

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Here's the bike I have been using for the series.
1982 GT Pro 4, With GT Pro bars & GT layback, Ukai Chrome Rims & Redline Flight Cranks.

I used to race BITD, I started racing aged 6 in 1984 riding a GT Mini (Hence the current ride) and raced through until I was about 9 or 10, packing up racing in 1987. I used to race for Woodham Warriors and my greatest achivement in BMX that I've been able to find evidence of was winning the 1985 club championship.

I was just stepping up to race National in 1986 but my Dad broke his collar bone at the 1st National of the year at Slough and that put an end to us racing any more nationals. After that the momentum had gone and I only raced regionals & club meets through 86 and into 87 before packing it in completly to play football.

Here's a Pic of me on my Old GT

Re-found BMX in 2003 when I got offered a 1999 GT Pro Performer on the cheap, Started riding that on the local half pipe and got hooked again, then when I was looking for parts I found Alan's BMX and a NOS Baby Blue quadangle, the misses bought that for me for my xmas present and I spent the 1st 9 months of 2004 building up parts. I used that bike for an Oldschool race organised by Humps at braintree in Jan 05, then in the lead up to Bournemouth 05 I started riding it every week at Braintree club nights, 1 Night though turned up and a bloke said, 'that's like the bike I used to race, do you mind if I have ago' It was only when he got half way round the track I realised I was stood on the gate talking to Craig Schofield and that it was actually Sid Salisbury riding my quad round the track, Awesome!!!!! :4_17_5:

Rode at RADBMX Bournemouth 05 & Mk 06 finishing 3rd in the A Final at both events.

Absolutley loving racing in the OSSS, The crowd involved make it, and they are a top bunch. The series is going from strength to strength and it is really getting noticed by the rest of the racing fraternity which is a credit to Ratty, 796 & Sam!! :daumenhoch:

se

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 08:50 AM »
Paul you'd be winning everything if you didn't have all those stickers weighing you down. :-)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  OSSS race bikes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx