gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  pk ripper
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: pk ripper  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
pk ripper
« on: May 21, 2007, 03:11 PM »
pk ripper looptail brought new when at school(around £500)back in the 80's,it was my favorite transport and used to go 5-6miles nearly everynight to my local bmx track after school,worse bit is houses now built on track even worse than that is i live in one of them :'(
i need help on wot pedals to fit since i put redline flight on my original shimano dx from 1 piece crank dont fit,i like the idea of hutch bear trap,but difficult to find them?which pedals do you think? :-\
i also have mx1000 fitted but only have rear,i cant decide if to fit my dia compe 880 and 901(brought a few years after the bike(stamped 85 on brakes) insted with tech3 or 4 levers or to leave the mx1000 on http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z105/nicfred/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 03:43 PM by nicfred »

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: pk ripper
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 03:23 PM »
pk ripper looptail brought new when at school(around £500)back in the 80's,it was my favorite transport and used to go 5-6miles nearly everynight to my local bmx track after school,worse bit is houses now built on track even worse than that is i live in one of them :'(
i need help on wot pedals to fit since i put redline flight on my original shimano dx from 1 piece crank dont fit,i like the idea of hutch bear trap,but difficult to find them?which pedals do you think? :-\
i also have mx1000 fitted but only have rear,i cant decide if to fit my dia compe 880 and 901(brought a few years after the bike(stamped 85 on brakes) insted with tech3 or 4 levers or to leave the mx1000 on?
cool
you are very lucky to still have your loopy ripper mate. they Are getting very pricey.
you will need 9/16" pedals. shimano sx's are still reasonably priced.
id keep the mx1000. again very desirable at the moment as to are the dx's.
post up a pic :daumenhoch:
oh and  WELCOME :) :)

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:26 PM »
hi
i m tyring to post a picture but dont know how :crazy2: :idiot2: any ideas? ?

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 03:28 PM »
hi
i m tyring to post a picture but dont know how :crazy2: :idiot2: any ideas? ?
is the photo hosted on line?
pm it be and i'll put it up for you :)

Paulo

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 03:42 PM »
i also have mx1000 fitted but only have rear,i cant decide if to fit my dia compe 880 and 901(brought a few years after the bike(stamped 85 on brakes) insted with tech3 or 4 levers or to leave the mx1000 on?

Mmmm a ripper survivor...oh lucky man.  :smitten:

Yeh agreed what DD said 100%. Keep DXs and mx1000. Very desirable but you'll need to get another set of pedals for the 3pc crank with 9/16" thread. Hutch pedals are rare and pricey. But this is the tricky bit of restoring. Whether to spend hard earned cash on the rare items that will make your bike a jaw dropper, or go for the more reasonably priced items. You'll be just as chuffed and it will look good, no question. Are you restoring it to be a rider or a show bike? If you're building a rider you may not want to spend £100 on a set of pedals.

Looking forward to the pic.

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 03:51 PM »
tried to put picture on via photo bucket but could only do it via a link ? now attached to original post? ? :crazy2: :'( help me  :'( :'( :'(

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 04:30 PM »

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 04:31 PM »
really nace bud :smitten: :smitten:
what stem is it??

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 04:56 PM »
Another nice Ripper  :)
I think I read somewhere on here that SX spindles fit into DX so it you want to keep it original you could put the DX pedals back on.

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 05:36 PM »
really nace bud :smitten: :smitten:
what stem is it??
hey dd,thanx for putting picture up, :angel:the stem is tuff neck same as the seat post clamp?(it has the stem bolt out at the min as just threw the bars in for picture)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 05:43 PM »
If you still have the DX's I'd buy a set of Wellgo's in 9/16's and swap the spindles over, Hey Presto survivor DX's back on your bike  :daumenhoch:

Nice ride btw, evern cooler it's a survivor  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 07:33 PM »
Very very nice bike  :daumenhoch:

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 08:36 PM »
If you still have the DX's I'd buy a set of Wellgo's in 9/16's and swap the spindles over, Hey Presto survivor DX's back on your bike  :daumenhoch:

yo marty c,wot are "wellgo's"?you said buy some in 9/16 and swap the spindles? ??? :-[

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 08:39 PM »

yo marty c,wot are "wellgo's"?you said buy some in 9/16 and swap the spindles? ??? :-[
they are really cheap pedals readily available on ebay for about £10-£15

Paulo

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 08:46 PM »

Nice...really nice  :daumenhoch:

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 09:57 PM »
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

selfpreservation

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 10:33 PM »

there is no way thats a survivor + stupid question something fishy me thinks

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 11:04 PM »

Thats what I was thinking :coolsmiley:

absolutley 200% no way is that a survivor,  rode 5/6 miles every night to the nearest bmx track,

no marks no dents and from a kid :idiot2:  as a painter,  no way,  somethings not right ;)
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 11:34 AM »

Thats what I was thinking :coolsmiley:

absolutley 200% no way is that a survivor,  rode 5/6 miles every night to the nearest bmx track,

no marks no dents and from a kid :idiot2:  as a painter,  no way,  somethings not right ;)
bike is 100% straight and genuine and have owned since new so should no,no cracks or welds only marks are on inside of frame where chain came off and scuffed frame?i am only around 5 foot 6 and only weigh 8 1/2 stone now at 37 so back at school was even smaller and lighter?i also raced mx every weekend so never raced the pk and it has just been stored at my parents for the last 20 years till now,just had a operation and not working yet so plenty of time to restore,ref the stupid questions,i dont even know wot nice ride "BTW" or "survivor" means(guess im just stupid,1st forum i have joined so take it slow)and  also not to good with computers?(picture was even put on site by dwain dibbly,thanx)i have only just got back into bmx and forgot most of wot i knew back then so just needed advice on which way to go to make the best of my bike ,which pedals,where to get them etc?  :2gunsfiring_v1: :Aresehole:  >:D  :smitten:

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 11:47 AM »
dont take it personally mate :)
theirs a few of us on here that are a little twitchy
at the moment with newbies due to the fact
that we have had a few recently that have tried
to stir up shite >:D
and keeps coming back under new ID's.
this forum is very friendly and has some very knowledgeable
(and not so) people ;D
again welcome hope you stick around its a great place and
you  have a sweet ride IE.....nice bike :2funny:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 12:55 PM »
My ones a survivior, sort of. I changed the forks as I always wanted some and I have put some DX style GT pedals on it at the moment. I had to change the tyres so I could ride it, the original ones were very cracked . I'm lucky with the frame as it has had a few scratches over the years but I always really looked after it. Being ball burnished it is easy to polish out small marks so it didn't need painting. It took me long enough to save up for it in the first place so I had to look after it.
Thats probably the reason I have kept it all these years and I deffinately couldn't replace it now.

SaMAlex

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 01:05 PM »
I was about to ask a question about "survivor" but I though it might be worth its own thread:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=35948.0

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  pk ripper

gfxgfx
gfx gfx