gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 12:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Hutch pedals
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch pedals  (Read 1771 times)

Lawrie

Hutch pedals
« on: November 11, 2005, 11:04 AM »
I can't for the life of me work out why Hutch pedals are advertised for so much money these days. Granted, they are beautiful pedals and would be pretty high on my list but at 250-300 quid????

The thing is, they can't be all that rare, as I see them NOS on e-bay quite regularly, all nice and shinny, untouched in their boxes. And they can't be in that much demand for that amount of money, so where do these mad prices come from?

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch pedals
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 11:06 AM »
They are that high in price as people chose to pay it. I personally recon Shimano DX are the best pedals on the go.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 01:33 PM »
They were big money back in the day, so buying them today is going to cost you , they are the sought after pedal imo , but yea DXs are better but you try finding some LOl

Rich

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 03:00 PM »
i have beartraps on my trickstar and they are a work of art but as a functional pedal the dx is the best and most copied pedal ever ! end of   ;)

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 11:39 PM »
I bought a set of Hutch Pro pedals back in 1984 for £100.  They were definately the best racing pedals you could get back then.  I still used mine up until a couple of years ago, then sold them for about £60ish.  I've just bought myself a new set of Crupi Pro Squares and, to be honest, the quality of the Crupis blows my old Hutch's out the water.  The Crupi bearings are way smoother, they are bigger and feel much better when racing.

BUT....For any '80's resto race bike, Hutch pedals are just the icing on the cake  ;)

greentoad

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 09:35 AM »
Hi,  ;)

Hutch look great but where not really that good a pedal, one allen key for the cages and they usually came loose, a better pedal and well under rated was the Suntour. It was a great pedal for race, was large, sturdy and had 2 allen keys so the cages stayed put!

For using a normal ride around the streets and for Freestyle at parks and bowls, I did like graphites (and wouldn't mind a set again) and DX.

However, I agree the DX did rule and still does overall.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 10:49 AM »
I think with the Hutch your paying for the kudos of having a set on your bike.
The Shimano were a lot more user friendly and practicle.
However new school I like the Crupi pro rounds (hutch copies, but better) and the Odessey Sharkbites.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 11:46 AM »
Bitd, for racing, nothing came close to a set of Hutch pedals.  They were the best pedals around.  I tried all sorts of pedals when I raced and nothing was as good as Hutch.

Granted the DX design is the best and most copied and probably overall, most user friendly.  But for a pure race pedal that you could trust would stick to your Vans no matter what the weather, it had to be Hutch beartraps.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Hutch pedals

gfxgfx
gfx gfx