gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 03:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Frame snap query.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Frame snap query.  (Read 2461 times)

Beckyboo

Frame snap query.
« on: May 19, 2007, 06:57 PM »

Izaak has snapped his ripper frame today (by literally breathing softly on it according to him) but it is only 5 months old so is it likely to be under warrenty? Or is that it and we are buying a new one :(

Phil says that because it is aluminium it might not be?  :-\

zed4130

Re: Frame snap query.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 07:02 PM »
thays very unlucky  :'( i know lots of people say ali breaks alot ,but ive owned loads of ali frames ,and im no light weight ,and ive never broke one yet , is it a new ripper ,it must have a warrentyof some sort ? funny though ,i was reading this little sticker on my daughters fnf jnr it says the warrenty if void if used for trick riding ,jumping or off road riding  :wtf: is that all about  :idiot2:

Beckyboo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 07:11 PM »

It is new, we bought him it for christmas from Alan's.

If it is under warrenty I hope he doen't want the whole bike back as he has sold most of it and replaced it with bits he wanted :(

zed4130

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 07:17 PM »

It is new, we bought him it for christmas from Alan's.

If it is under warrenty I hope he doen't want the whole bike back as he has sold most of it and replaced it with bits he wanted :(
ive allways wondered what happens if you change all the bits (as we all do) and then the bike brakes ?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 07:41 PM »
Where did it break?  The frame should certainly be under warranty, I don't think there is anything in the warranty that says it is void if you change the parts, it's usually only void if you admit to racing or jumping it which is what BMX bikes are all about isn't it? or am I being an  :idiot2:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:43 PM »
They'll take the bike back and swap your frame for a new one and put your old parts back on again.

T34418L3-1

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 07:44 PM »
it sounds like you have a good case for claiming the warranty, alans are usually pretty good about it,

more than likely they'll ask you to strip the bike and send in the frame,

if they send you a replacement i'd be tempted to sell it as brand new on e-bay and look out for a steel frame for him,

if he's learning and casing stuff regularly a steel frame will give more warning of catastrophic failiure,

he's lucky he wasnt landing at the time the frame gave out!

one of my biggest riding nightmares is the headtube shearing off and the following face plant,

good luck ,

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 07:45 PM »
just have a word, alans is usualy on the ball,if he needs something to borrow
i got something im sure he can thrash to death.get a pic up so we can see where it went.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 07:48 PM »
I bet it was the back end snapping off  :buck2:
 :) DINGO :)

Beckyboo

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 08:24 PM »

He was landing at the time!

So he has a very swollen arm and wrist which we are waiting to see if it goes down otherwise we are off to casualty :(

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 08:38 PM »
holy crapola thats bad ass  , matee he was lucky .

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 08:49 PM »
Looks like that frame was not annealed properly to me, stress fracture, due to flex of tubes, always snap where stress is in tubes.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 08:50 PM »
For the record - I'm told that the new SE stuff is absolute crap.....  It's SE in name only unfortunately. I was warned off a floval flyer by several people.

I fancy that's good advice you've been given. Get rid and sort him a cromo frame  :)

T34418L3-1

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 08:51 PM »
oh man thats harsh! hope he's ok like!

sounds like he got his hands off the bars in time to brace himself a little though which is a bonus at least,

i'll be straight up, i've seen loads of alloy frames go at this point, i've torn the rear ends of three but luckily never had a heatube let go,

alloy frames are great for racing as theyre stiff and light,which is great if youre smooth and dont case much, the downside is alloy tends to be more brittle and fatigue quicker, which if youre learning you tend to case and crash more,isnt good.

the alloy 90's gt and robinson race bikes suffered many problems with the headtube arrangement , 3 re-calls if i remember correctly!

its worrying as i've recently bought my son an alloy framed bike, he is only tiny though but as soon as his wheels start leaving the ground he's straight on a steel frame!

tell the shop/distributor about youre sons injuries aswell, they should offer him some kind of bonus be it parts or whatever,

and tell him he's earned hie "red wings"!!

glad he's not injured too bad, best of luck :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 08:55 PM by T34418L3-1 »

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 08:57 PM »
shit not good mate hope he ok
and looks like the welds aint taken to me aswell

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 09:08 PM »
Tubing has failed , welds very rarely fail as they are stronger than the tubes i.e. Very good claim for a replacement if you say he just used it for the purpose it was sold for. Glad to hear he is ok, play on it and get plenty free stuff. I concur that steel frames are the way to go.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 09:13 PM »
Hope he is ok, But the bonus is he has joined the Frame snappers club  :daumenhoch:

A long time ago, in a land far away!

Haley

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Hope your ok little man!!!!!!!!!!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 09:41 PM »
Blimey thats bad!!!
contact Alan AND Shiners and see what they have to say?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 10:20 PM »
That could have been a lot more serious, looks like major failure of the tubing and as Issak is only a young un I'd say they would find it hard to say it's from miss-use.  Back to Alan's me thinks and a replacement frame for sure as it should not have failed after 5 months.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Beckyboo

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 10:30 PM »
Phil says I should send them a link to this thread when I am doing my complaining ;D

I must admit he did look like he was enjoying the kudos of snapping his frame at the park in front of the other young uns.

He was staying at our friends house and like a real trooper after hurting himself started trying to drag his two halves of his bike back until his friend phoned his dad who collected them then phoned us when he saw his arm.

Have just had a panic feeding his new hamster as I thought it was dead for 10 minutes and was just thinking this woud be the icing on the cake if I had to tell him that but thankfully that is made of stronger stuff than his frame and was just in REM sleep bless it ;D

thanks for all your messages and suggestions  :)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 10:33 PM »
snapping a frame when you are yong is cool, I had a top tube shaped scar in my chin as a kid after my Murrey snapped and stuck in my face  :daumenhoch: luckily its gone now
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:38 PM by dingobmxer »

Beckyboo

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 10:39 PM »
I bet you enjoyed your battle scar for a while though ;D

Got the pm thanks and your very kind offer - have just replied :)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 10:48 PM »
I bet you enjoyed your battle scar for a while though ;D

Got the pm thanks and your very kind offer - have just replied :)

It was great as a conversation starter but I am glad its gone now  :LolLolLolLol:
Still have plenty more biking scars/stories though, this is just his first  :coolsmiley:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 11:01 PM »
phil  that is so bad it's not funny >:(  can you imagine if my billy was riding that frame with the speed and tricks he does,

a very seriously hurt boy,  trouble with pk and all these alloy frames is that there not made to with stand any impact,

judging by your pic the frame gave way and not the weld, that says that the alloy is cheap and mass produced,  that should not

happen >:(    send it back mate and get your lad on a chromo frame,  todays frames are strong, light and safe :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Frame snap query.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx