gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 07:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  What did you invent.....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What did you invent.....  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
What did you invent.....
« on: May 19, 2007, 10:31 AM »
As the post would suggest....what freestyle trick did you invent.

Many may dispute this but I THINK (and if I'm wrong don't jump on me) I invented the Tailwhip Jump. Southsea Skatepark around 83 I was trying to do a Can Can jump out of the bowl just in front of the main key hole bowl that everyone jumps out of. As I was practicing them my foot slipped off the other pedal as I stepped over the frame and the frame unintentionally spun round which gave me the idea. Next time I tried to do it and I meant to kick the frame round but didn't get my feet back on the pedals. Anyway, after many attempts I managed to get my feet back on the pedals and ride out which I think was probably one of the first Tailwhip Jumps. Albeit not as high or as stylish as they do it these days. Jess Dyrenforth did witness it if he remembers but no photographer was there at the time so you only have mine, Dave Slade's and Jess D's word for it.

My mate Sid (Warren Siddall) who was one of the pioneers of street invented the BB grind which he first did on a bench, the pictures were in Action Bike at the time. I remember all the fuss that was made about it, Nick Phillips was the one who made the most fuss about it but it was hugely different and original for the time.

As I said, if I'm wrong about the Tailwhip Jump then please accept my apologies but as far as I know no one had done it before then, in fact, Mike D had only just done it on the floor on BMX Beat.

So come on guys - what's your claim to fame?

:daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

zed4130

Re: What did you invent.....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 10:39 AM »
the falling off with style trick  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 11:18 AM »
i think i invented the "no handed face plant" :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

ronnie360

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:24 AM »
i think i invented the "no handed face plant" :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

thats a great trick dwain and it has so many variations  ;D

christhejob

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 01:15 PM »
barspin roll-in.. documentary evidence on the 20 video! 1990... my one and only contribution.....

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 01:48 PM »
in the mid 80s whilst i was into the racing scene.
we would jump the big step ups at ipswich track
before and after meets.i did a variation table top
360 very high and round the wrong way,never rearly
saw anyone else do this as it was hard sketchy
and rarely pulled ,but the bike would end up flat
but facing inside.not outside like the norm.
so 360 table top airing to the left with bike facing inside.
maybe it was crap so it never much caught on.lol

YGT

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:44 PM »
when i was a kid i used to do steam rollers holding onto the rear peg ....... this was arround 1988/89 i believe.
Not sure if anyone else did them back then

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 06:37 PM »
i didnt invent it, but I mastered the Bale >:D
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 06:38 PM »
dan that sounds like a untable top

i used to do the no handed endo bitd
ie footjams they called now
that was untill i snapped me knee cap in two doin em
and macmark was there aswell
was in 83 or 84 i think
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 06:40 PM by Lazychubs »

Trev

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 07:48 PM »
there were quite a few tricks i "invented" but most had already been invented, but i hadn't seen anyone else do them before.  so although they had been before, i'd never seen them and therefore in my own mind, made them up.

one was the vasquash or swivel, which came to these shores in 86.  i had done them before then, but am sure riders were doing them in the states before me.

there were plenty of linking tricks which i use to do which i had never seen anyone else do at the time, but then they became common practice.  squeaker to decade - pedal picker to decade - framewhip to woody hops to name but a few...

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 08:39 PM »
Myself and Steven Dalet both learned and pulled suicide no handed kickturns in (probably) 82.  83 at the very latest.  :)

andy619

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 03:02 PM »
there were quite a few tricks i "invented" but most had already been invented, but i hadn't seen anyone else do them before.  so although they had been before, i'd never seen them and therefore in my own mind, made them up.

i agree, definate gray area, some documented and some not

Can-can Lookback
Decade kickturn
Inverted 540

teamsano

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 06:17 PM »
so many things have probably been invented across the globe at the same time, thats the problem.
i remember reading bmx plus in about 89 and it was marvelling at how a dirt jumper called chris daily was the only guy who could do candybars on a straight jump(previously only done on vert) i was surprised because i had been doing them for over a year, and was also doing no footed ones on dirt at that point. i also recall doing things like barspin tyretaps, barspin fakies, double seat grab barspins, barspin to tailwhip, tailwhip footplant to fakie, and fakie footplant to 180 out before i saw anyone else do them. theres probably more but i don't want to sound like im blowing my own trumpet lol! :LolLolLolLol:

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 08:21 PM »
all that and you can blow your own trumpet as well

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 08:47 PM »
The ` stupple` how original  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

teamsano

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 11:05 PM »
i guess a tricks not officially yours till its named after you, lolZ.

Trev

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 11:48 PM »

Can-can Lookback
Decade kickturn
Inverted 540

don't know about the others, but i'm pretty sure the inverted 540 is yours... 

but saying that, i think your can can lookbacks might have been the first proper ones i'd seen as well.  craig c had done the can can x-up but not sure if he had stretched it to a lookback. i'm sure i saw you do them before i saw hoffman do 'em.

mattnice

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 01:37 PM »
i invented a trick called the s'express,one foot over the bars on the peg the other foot on the toptube.

what a great trick i can't think why it didn't catch on.

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 01:52 PM »

Can-can Lookback

but saying that, i think your can can lookbacks might have been the first proper ones i'd seen as well.  craig c had done the can can x-up but not sure if he had stretched it to a lookback. i'm sure i saw you do them before i saw hoffman do 'em.

Andy, even if anyone did do can can lookbacks before you, not many came close! That trick is YOURS!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 02:25 PM »

I know its crap but it is mine and I never saw anybody else do it bitd , but that might be because its crap. Oh yeah I can still do it .

:LolLolLolLol:

I've got a video of me from BITD doing that trick!!! How fecking funny is that.

Jamie C

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 02:06 PM »
As the post would suggest....what freestyle trick did you invent.

Many may dispute this but I THINK (and if I'm wrong don't jump on me) I invented the Tailwhip Jump. Southsea Skatepark around 83 I was trying to do a Can Can jump out of the bowl just in front of the main key hole bowl that everyone jumps out of. As I was practicing them my foot slipped off the other pedal as I stepped over the frame and the frame unintentionally spun round which gave me the idea. Next time I tried to do it and I meant to kick the frame round but didn't get my feet back on the pedals. Anyway, after many attempts I managed to get my feet back on the pedals and ride out which I think was probably one of the first Tailwhip Jumps. Albeit not as high or as stylish as they do it these days. Jess Dyrenforth did witness it if he remembers but no photographer was there at the time so you only have mine, Dave Slade's and Jess D's word for it.

My mate Sid (Warren Siddall) who was one of the pioneers of street invented the BB grind which he first did on a bench, the pictures were in Action Bike at the time. I remember all the fuss that was made about it, Nick Phillips was the one who made the most fuss about it but it was hugely different and original for the time.

As I said, if I'm wrong about the Tailwhip Jump then please accept my apologies but as far as I know no one had done it before then, in fact, Mike D had only just done it on the floor on BMX Beat.

So come on guys - what's your claim to fame?

Are you trying to say you learnt tailwhips to the pedals in one day in 1983 and then didn't bother to do it again?

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 02:20 PM »
cool get it on here , I would love to see old footage of somebody else doing it. :daumenhoch:

I'll need to copy it to DVD...bear with me...

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 04:39 PM »
Are you trying to say you learnt tailwhips to the pedals in one day in 1983 and then didn't bother to do it again?

Yes mate I did learn it in one day and I did again many times after. However, because I wasn't a high profile rider no big deal was made of it. Action Bike rarely ventured up north as many will testify so after doing it at Southsea no one else would see me when I got back home. I had a feeling someone would question this that's why I put it in my opening sentence. It wasn't a post laying full copyright to the trick. Like many of the replies have said all the tricks have probably been pulled somewhere in the world at some point and some before others.

It was meant as a light hearted post.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 07:49 AM by Flatcap »
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

the_cyclops

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 12:14 AM »
Im pretty sure that I invented the 'Aggro-fast plant'

It was basically the same as the Dave Currey 'Aggroplant' as demo'ed by him in the Vincent Airzone test in BMX Action bike but taken onto the mini-ramp and as part of a fast plant!

Sort of a fastplant one handed barspin affair!

easyroller

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 05:02 PM »
I was pretty sure I had invented  disasters like in 92. i was livin in newie OZ ridin skatepark quarter, I'd been doin' 'em for like a week getting em down, and i was thinking the whole time that i was gonna call em "frame stretchers", cause i was pretty sure i was stretchin' my frame every time i came down heavy. Just then some numpty rolls over and suggests i  throw a barspin in the air before i land that "Disaster" and i would have a well sweet move, i was shattered not only did it already have a name that was obviously in common circulation(i mean c'mon aussie doesn't get much first) but people had moved on to combo's on my move already??? Bugger

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  What did you invent.....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx