gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing chain links
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Removing chain links  (Read 788 times)

highrisedrifter

Removing chain links
« on: May 18, 2007, 06:56 PM »
Hi all, I am nearly finished buiding my next rider, an 85 Master, but I need to put the chain on. I have a strange looking tool that looks rather like a torture device but Halfords assures me is a 'chain tool'.

My question is, how do I remove links in the chain so that it fits, please? I can see how the chain fits into the device but I can't see any way of popping out the rivet to remove the links. Do I need to use a bradawl and hammer of some kind and punch the rivet out, or it the above tool the right thing for the job?

I need a quick answer as the bike is in the lounge at the moment and the parents-in-law have just come to stay. My other half is looking at me in 'that way' that some of you must be familiar with.  :2funny:

On the plus side, Retrorb has delivered the T/A frame and Forks to me today. So now I have the three bikes I always wanted as a kid, the Gen 1, GT Pro Performer and the T/A. I'm as happy as a pig in sh1t now. Can't wait to get the T/A and the GT built up. This is going to be a good summer!

Thanks

HRD

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Removing chain links
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 07:03 PM »
turn the handle and it pushes the pin out
then in reverse wind it in after ya took the links out

highrisedrifter

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 07:05 PM »
Odd, I must be doing something wrong then. I can't seem to get the pin to push out. I'll have another go, thanks mate.

HRD

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:15 PM »
You're turning the handle damn hard yeah?  you need to.

It might be that you have a Fisher Price chain tool.....  some are better than others.  :)

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Not sure what the bolt on the left hand side does, my one has just got a hole. Might be worth taking it out unless it is hollow. Put the chain in up against the step on the left hand side. Make sure the pushing pin is lined up really well with the pin you want to take out. It will take quite a lot to start the pin moving but once it does it will go easily. If you stop pushing the pin just before it pops out on the floor you can use it to rejoin the chain if you need to.
Makes perfect sense to me, but I just wrote it so ask again if you don't.  ;)
Hope it works

gt0733

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 08:57 PM »
it might help to put the fixed handle in a vice so then you can drape the chain over the tool. i've found this particular tool to be a little bit small and fiddly but still does the job.
make sure the push pin lines up spot on with the chain pin or you'll end up bending the link  :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 08:59 PM by gt0733 »

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 09:03 PM »
I've got one of them from Halfords and it works OK. Just turn it quite hard.

highrisedrifter

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 09:17 PM »
Not sure what the bolt on the left hand side does, my one has just got a hole. Might be worth taking it out unless it is hollow. Put the chain in up against the step on the left hand side. Make sure the pushing pin is lined up really well with the pin you want to take out. It will take quite a lot to start the pin moving but once it does it will go easily. If you stop pushing the pin just before it pops out on the floor you can use it to rejoin the chain if you need to.
Hope it works

Tried what you suggested and it popped out. I removed the black bolt on the left first to create the hole for the pin to go into and it slid out fairly easily.

Thanks for the help everyone, it took a lot of buggering about with it trying to work out which way up it went and which way it faced but after the help here it went through smoothly.

I should now have some pics up of my next build before the end of the weekend hopefully, if I can find the blue pedals.

Thanks all

HRD

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Cool, glad you did it. I still don't know what the bolt is for. Maybee its something to do with reconnecting a a chain thats already been split. Thats a pain as the link often goes tight and you have to push the pin around a bit to loosen it off.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 11:38 AM »
if after pressing the pin back in and the link is tight(normally will be),use the "teeth"on the right of the two sets.Place the chain over the tool as if removing a pin,then wind the handle a tiny amount,just enough to slacken the joint.

digitaltransfer

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 01:24 PM »
Hope it works

Tried what you suggested and it popped out. I removed the black bolt on the left first to create the hole for the pin to go into and it slid out fairly easily.

Thanks for the help everyone, it took a lot of buggering about with it trying to work out which way up it went and which way it faced but after the help here it went through smoothly.

I should now have some pics up of my next build before the end of the weekend hopefully, if I can find the blue pedals.

Thanks all

HRD

Keep hold of the bolt you are suposed to wind it out so that you do not completely push the pins out otherwise that is a complete bugger to put back in !!! looking forward to seeing the build !!  :LolLolLolLol:

bof

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 02:42 PM »
digital transfer is right, it is a stop.That stops a pin from being pushed all the way out. so you can reuse the link that you are splitting.

Haley

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 07:02 PM »
I use a hammer and nail. But i'm not all that bright.....   :uglystupid2:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 09:01 PM »
Thats what the bolt is for, makes sense. I lent my splitter to someone and they broke the "teeth" so I never got a chance to find out what they did.
It's a good job someone knows how they work  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing chain links

gfxgfx
gfx gfx