gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 09:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Open vs sealed bearings
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Open vs sealed bearings  (Read 618 times)

highrisedrifter

Open vs sealed bearings
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:30 AM »
Could someone explain to me what the main difference between open bearing and sealed bearing hubs is please?

Why would I choose one over the other, for instance?

I understand the concept of open and sealed but i'm not sure how it relaltes to hubs in this way though. I'm tempted to lace a set of wheels myself for the first time ever, and need to know things like this to make sure I get the right bits.

Thanks

HRD

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Open vs sealed bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:42 AM »
Open Bearings are normally loose balls or with a cage that then run in a 'race' or set of 'races'. They can be easily stripped down, removed, cleaned and regreased. The problem is as they are 'open', they are more susceptable to the ingress of dirt, grit, water etc all of which can have a detrimental effect to both balls and race.

Sealed Bearings are usually where the balls and races come as one unit, pre-packed with grease (supposedly) and sealed buy a rubber or plastic seal. These are less susceptable to the ingress of foreign objects, but are designed to be disposable items (ie not designed to be stripped down). They can still be removed, cleaned and repacked with grease, although you will have to remove the seal to re-pack and then they won't be sealed any longer.

Sealed bearings are seen as the standard due to their resistance to foreign object ingress, although a a meticulously maintained set of open bearings can work just as well  :daumenhoch:

highrisedrifter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 05:05 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, Moose.  :daumenhoch:

HRD

digitaltransfer

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 08:34 PM »
Sealed bearings all day long are the better ones to get they can be re greased etc.. but no need for the weekly monthly maintenance the open bearing will need !! I rode on sunday in the pooring rain my head set open bearing internal unit needed stripping new HS en route Sealed of course !!

:4_17_5:

Paulo

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:58 PM »
Open Bearings are normally loose balls or with a cage that then run in a 'race' or set of 'races'. They can be easily stripped down, removed, cleaned and regreased. The problem is as they are 'open', they are more susceptable to the ingress of dirt, grit, water etc all of which can have a detrimental effect to both balls and race.

Sealed Bearings are usually where the balls and races come as one unit, pre-packed with grease (supposedly) and sealed buy a rubber or plastic seal. These are less susceptable to the ingress of foreign objects, but are designed to be disposable items (ie not designed to be stripped down). They can still be removed, cleaned and repacked with grease, although you will have to remove the seal to re-pack and then they won't be sealed any longer.

Sealed bearings are seen as the standard due to their resistance to foreign object ingress, although a a meticulously maintained set of open bearings can work just as well  :daumenhoch:

Good explaination Moose.  Spot on.

Don't forget though that most of us got by on open bearings bitd, so they'll do the job well. It's just that sealed is better if you can use them.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Open vs sealed bearings

gfxgfx
gfx gfx