gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 05:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  History lesson.....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: History lesson.....  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
History lesson.....
« on: May 07, 2007, 02:51 PM »
.......I'm looking for your help chaps.

I've kind of kept my ear to the ground a bit over the years and know where some old schoolers are and what they do now but I was wondering if any of you can fill in some gaps for me. Just be nice to know what most people are up to these days. I used to ride with Dave Slade and all the Sheffield and Retford lot, the Hudson brothers, Dino Squillino, Jason Ellis and Sid to mention a few but what's some of this lot below up to these days if any of you know. I've found out quite a bit from other websites but there are some stones unturned for me. I hope you can help me. I'm a curious person, ok I'm nosey!

Mike Canning?
Nick Phillip?
Dave (Action Zone) Currie?
Crazy Eric Steele?
Neil Ruffell?
Glyn Lewis?

Thanks in advance.

Daz.

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

highrisedrifter

Re: History lesson.....
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:00 PM »
Unfortunately, Neil Ruffell committed suicide.

" 80s UK Freestyle Legend Neil Ruffell passes away.      Wednesday, September 22, 2004
Just got the story from Tim March Skyways UK Freestyle lengend Neil Ruffell the brother of the great Andy Ruffell has passed away.Neil was a very big influence on the freestyle scene back in the day and the shoot outs between him and Craig Campbell were legendary. Very sad. Neil was the star of the UK Kelloggs TV show on channel 4 in 1985 when he beat the great Eddie Fiola to do battle with Haros Ron Wilkerson on National TV in the Freestyle finals."

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Mike Canning is a member here, and still rides.  And rules   ;)

Dave Currie is around, quietly keeping involved.

I last saw Glyn in the very late 90s, he's been in and out of jail......  don't where he is now, but last time I saw him, he was still riding a DP and going high.

That's all I can help you with I'm afraid  :)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Unfortunately, Neil Ruffell committed suicide.

Oh man, I had no idea!

That is a huge loss, he was an awesome rider! Probably one of the best I've seen ride the main keyhole bowl at Southsea - he rocked in that place. I rode that place loads of times while he was there and he just seemed to so wired with it. I considered myself good in it with 6-7 feet out but he blew me away. I called there about 3 years ago while I was down there on business and just stood looking at that bowl and wondered how the hell we we did it. I always found the performance bowl at Rom a lot more forgiving. I know the pool at Rom and the one that was in Gillingham was very tuff but Southsea wasn't the easiest bowl to get the hang for none locals.

I always remember a picture of him busting a massive can can at Southsea, I'm sure it was when he was on Skyway and had his orange tuff II's on. One of my all time favourite pictures. Those memories will always stay with me.

You rocked fella - R.I.P.

I'm quite sad now, I had absolutely no idea.

:(
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 03:25 PM »
Yeah, a real tragedy....  I barely knew him  ( i was retired by 84) but rode Rom with him a few times.  I think the news hit us all quite hard   :'(

Trev

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 03:36 PM »
yep, a sad loss.  neil was the reason i started riding.  saw him ride in the kelloggs and blew me away. i wanted to be able to ride like that.  got to see him ride live a couple of times, but never met him.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 03:45 PM »
My mate tells a story about Neil;

Back in the days when there was a lamppost overlooking the performance bowl at Rom,  he saw Neil sat on his bike right by it. He was sat there for ages, not really speaking to anyone or seemingly doing owt.  Then without any warning, he got up on his pedals and simply rode straight off the edge of the bowl.  He didn't bomb drop to the bottom though, he hopped and tucked and rolled down the face, barely leaving the concrete.

I can see hopping back in from a tyretap these days, but I don't fancy just riding off the edge....... This must have been 83-84 sih.  Rad.   :daumenhoch:

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:34 AM »
yeah sad that Neil is no longer with us.

From the rest of your list, Ive read that Nick Philip is in San Francisco. I think Ramprat knows more details.
and I think i remember Billy Stupple  mentioning that Dave Currie drops in here as a guest.
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Trev

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 05:41 PM »
I think i remember Billy Stupple  mentioning that Dave Currie drops in here as a guest.

he's on here more often than you think  ;)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 08:51 PM »
he's on here more often than you think

Well next time he is on here tell him his Action Zone bars were some of the best ever. I had a set which I inherited and I loved them. However, I do remember him giving Dave Slade a set and telling him they were indistructable and then Dave proceeded to wreck them two weeks later - lol! Slade was a mad f****r though when he had his head on, anyone remember that pop out he did on to the balcony at Holeshot and nearyl wiping Gaz Top out who was stood on the balcony - old Gaz Top sh*t himself! Very funny!

Trev

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:39 PM »

i remember him wrestling with his bike at one of the holeshots during his run.  :idiot2:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 03:25 PM »
I always remember a picture of him busting a massive can can at Southsea, I'm sure it was when he was on Skyway and had his orange tuff II's on. One of my all time favourite pictures. Those memories will always stay with me.

This is that picture I was on about.....just love this picture.....RESPECT!

Trev

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 03:35 PM »
that's a cool pic.  i had that poster on my wall for years....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  History lesson.....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx