gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 10:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Battle Ready
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Battle Ready  (Read 1451 times)

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Battle Ready
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:04 PM »
Rady for the second annual Roseville California Hack Race.  We had 1/4 finals even last year

I will be having the honor of monkeying the hack for the Red Baron AKA Dennis Dain

This is just for fun 
From a conversation I had with gOrk last year.  We looked at each other and promptly banged hacks hard at the first corner.

With the Red Baron at the helm and the RBS lucky WASP 11 numberI have a feelings , things will be a LOT different this year

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Battle Ready
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:12 PM »
You have to stick the video footage up if you get a chance, now the old school racing is gettin bigger over here, its about time we had some hack racing :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

nic968

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 02:02 PM »
 Good luck dude..
 Love the leather 'arm-rest' on the wheel guard... ;)
 Look forward to seeing some videos...

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:39 PM »
That's no arm rest.  :)

Well, maybe now that I'm old and decrepit it is but back in the day there were times at Rancho and Corona when that thing was used as padding for my butt or back as I was leaned way out with my helmet about a foot above the  ground trying to keep the hack upright
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:21 PM by reilley1 »

dj_benice

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 03:42 PM »
lol love the suicide pedal clips  >:D

romboijon

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 03:52 PM »
nice like the arm rest  :daumenhoch:

have fun  :LolLolLolLol: :daumenhoch:

tdoublejj

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 05:10 AM »

lets have some hack racing over here then!!!!!

im ready    >:D

tjj

:daumenhoch:

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 03:46 AM »
(before I continue, the Red Baron is Dennis Dain, former Factory Redline rider and perhaps the best hack pilot ever)

"CORNER! CORNER! CORNER!"

I have a flare for the obvious. I knew Dennis was aware that the we were pushing the ragged edge of the decreasing radius turn that we were 3 wheel drifting into at over 30 MPH. I also knew that we were going to come out of the rutted corner without mishap, nevertheless, the adrenalin and the rush of doing something that I have written about endlessly had me going back to the habits of screaming out the obvious like I did at Rancho and Corona not long ago.

Well, perhaps it was long ago, but it sure didn't feel that way yesterday morning.

I had the exhilaration and the honor of seeing The Red Baron in action saturday morning. I had seen it before, but it was from a spectator point of view, a magazine or worse, from behind, as he and Ruiz won yet another race.

This time, it was different. It was up-close and personal. As a hacker I looked up to legendary hack pilots like Dennis Dain and John Palfreyman and sometimes wondered how it would be to ride with them. I need not wonder anymore. I seen one of the masters at work. Not fawning over Dennis. It is just a statement of fact.

In my line of work, trust in your partner means everything. I knew that I could trust Dennis, but as we pushed the hack up to the top of the gnarly switchbacks I thought to myself "Does this cat trust me?"

All doubts were erased as we pushed down the hill, hit warp two and carved through the first corner. The old muscle memory kicked into place, I grabbed the sissy bar and leaned way out like the old days. Even the embankment on the right side of the corner looked hauntingly familiar. It looked like Rancho. I was 14-16 again and the rush of the wind hitting my face was back!

After that adventure, I headed on to Rick Twomey's place. Legendary monkey Doug Takahashi (John Palfreyman's hack partner) was there. I told him excitedly about my experience. He looked at me, smiled knowingly and said "Yep, I know"

Dennis is right, not real preparation for a track like Roseville, but I didn't care and I'm sure he didn't care. The memories of racing the legendary tracks that our adventure brought back makes everything secondary.
The memories of all those first corners at all those tracks that I hold so dearly became even more vivid yesterday.

"CORNER! CORNER! CORNER! indeed"

Thanks Dennis

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Enuff said, Quality!! :4_17_5:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 07:29 AM »
The Thrill and the pain

(Pics by Mrs Red Baron)

We were in third going into the 1st corner...

We crashed hard.  My ribs are severely bruised but it was worth it..

This was right before the moto.  We had 17 hacks and had 1/4 finals!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:32 AM by reilley1 »

ronnie360

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 08:55 AM »
great info great story and some ace pics

thanks for shareing them with us all

:4_17_5: :4_17_5:  :4_17_5:  :4_17_5:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 09:00 AM »
Great thread, great story and great pics!  :4_17_5:

hooga1975

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 09:12 AM »
That looks the nuts, real cool pics :4_17_5:  I bet you had a proper laugh blast round the track on those hacks.

I think we should try and get some hack racing into the OSSS

Are those race shirts you are wearing the ones your mate is getting made up?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Battle Ready

gfxgfx
gfx gfx