gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 11:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  CLASSIC BMX SENTENCED TO DEATH
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CLASSIC BMX SENTENCED TO DEATH  (Read 2330 times)

Timmeh

CLASSIC BMX SENTENCED TO DEATH
« on: April 28, 2007, 01:16 PM »
'I was doing my recycling' said Timmeh, 'and I saw this chrome f&f, a bit rusty but salvagable in the skip'.
It had straight GT bars, original Blue Mushroom grips, Suntour power stem and a one-piece crank with spider.  AND one of those old 'Mushroom ODI' stickers.  It had a pierced top tube where the seat tube ran up; all tidy welding and one of those headset 'dust skirts'.
Yes, I asked: 'Don't commit that BMX hero to a fate of recyclement- save it so that others may marvel at its beauty'.
'No' was the reply, 'company policy says not even a screw can leave the compound'.
I protested 'it's a classic, it needs saving.  I don't want a screw, just the F&F'.

It's still there, on death row, let us hope it fins a cool 360 air and daily rock-walks in BMX heaven.

:(

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: CLASSIC BMX SENTENCED TO DEATH
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 01:20 PM »
you will find it will go to a massive collection area for crushing and sorting.
if you can find the place its going to you could be in luck.most council run tips
now dont let stuff go as you might fall of said bike and take the council to court
which has already happened.norfolk are ok at the moment but suffolk say NO

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 02:12 PM »
friggin lunacy.... Our tax £££ pay for these Council waste places too... You think they would be happy to let someone take stuff to re-use it... South Yorkshire says no too... even when bribed with money and beer  :angel:

highrisedrifter

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 02:31 PM »
friggin lunacy.... Our tax £££ pay for these Council waste places too... You think they would be happy to let someone take stuff to re-use it... South Yorkshire says no too... even when bribed with money and beer  :angel:

You're right, that's crazy. Bloody jobsworths.  :tickedoff:

HRD

Flying_fox

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:48 PM »
I didn't realise that was the case with councils...  Idiots. >:(

dannyboy

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 07:22 PM »
a cash offer will normally make said man look the other way whilst you rescue that old girl from crusher

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 08:26 PM »
our local tips usually charge a fiver for bikes,i just havent found anything apart from this ammaco >:(
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Timmeh

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 10:58 PM »
Council waste sites are contracted out up here 'North' of FuNMoNsTeR (a clue)...and they have 24-h CCTV; not to protect waste but to catch fly tippers.
Really don't think we can save this one...just looked at some piccies on BMXmuseum.com...I hope it wasn't a GT pro....defo had a pierced top tube...

>:( :(

selfpreservation

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 11:13 PM »
call the cops and say someone stole your bike and you spotted it at the tip and you want it back

winnit93

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 11:16 PM »
our local tips usually charge a fiver for bikes,i just havent found anything apart from this ammaco >:(

is that not a mongoose

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 11:51 PM »
that's a pre 83 mongoose, with shitty forks, almost race inc forks, but not quite.

give us the serial, and we can tell you what it is. :daumenhoch:
ding dong

theRuler

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 09:16 AM »
that's a pre 83 mongoose, with shitty forks, almost race inc forks, but not quite.

give us the serial, and we can tell you what it is. :daumenhoch:

look close at the bottom bracket "wishbone"
recess for a stand.

aint no mongoose!

tezza

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 11:15 AM »
this is stupid bloody cancil waste of time using our money to do wat NOTHING but annoy us :knuppel2: :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1:

ronnie360

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 11:35 AM »
it is a shame because all you want to do is recycle it you

would have fought they would be all for it.......

rarman1

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 12:02 PM »
yeah contact you local councelor and tell him its a GREEN issue, if that don't work offer him a lunch

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 01:29 PM »
ITS NO GOOSE,ITS MIG WELDED ITS AN AMMACO 20 IT STILL HAS REMAINS OF OLD DECALS ;)
British race frames and race clothing wanted

mark 2

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 05:06 PM »
I was at the tip in Hull last week getting rid of some sh*t from my garage and saw some speakers next to a skip, about 1m tall, saw a Bowers and Wilkins logo (B&W), thought ooooooh!  Solid teak and just stuck them in the car. Had a look on tinternet, from 1968, studio monitors that the BBC, EMI and Decca used in the 70's, got a bit of Marvin Gaye on, fully working and sound the business. I thought you could just take from the tip, no one said anything....Anyway, a real result for me, I do a bit of producing and music twiddlings, perfect find for my home set up :4_17_5:

Timmeh

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 10:01 PM »
So did I...contractors are different...made me wonder as 'behind' the metal waste skip is a stash of other copmplete bikes...wonder what happens to those...?

garethgeezer

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 10:34 PM »
@ Timmeh - you're not near Cranleigh in Surrey are you? I saw a similar bike in the metal bin there last week. Nearly dragged it out and stuck it in my car but then I remembered the pile of junk I already have at home! Why they don't let you take stuff before it gets crushed is beyond me, what harm can it do?!

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 10:36 PM »
i know my local wont let you take feck all once its in their skips
even offered him "a drink" and gezza pointed at the CCTV and said nope

odd though theres always a little stack of half decent, useful things next their hut . . . . .
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 01:12 AM »
Jobsworths.

Timmeh

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 10:15 PM »
Garethgeezer, North Yorkshire dude.  North of Thirsk, south of Darlo~ not that Darlo is in Norff Yarksharrrr...

I must continue my quest elsewhere...that and finish decorating the house!

:tickedoff:

greentoad

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 02:53 PM »
Hi all

There are ways around this - Talk the Talk and Walk the Walk.

So some of my tips - (please do not abuse them though)!

You have to get the right person on the site and suss them out and also most importantly give fair prices - all things are worth money, even scrap.

Old men bought BMX for their kids, and younger workers may have rode grifters, choppers, bmx etc too, they are not dumb - so play fair! Would you risk something for £5? Get the notes out and let them do the talking!

Many methods work and I still get many bikes and items this way.

You could ask a local scrap metal person to purchase all the bikes, then buy direct from them (most refuse sites have regular buyers).

You could set up your self and get a license to buy. This is quite easy.

You could wear a hood and jump the fence (ladder and then sheets over the wire) and rope the bikes out.

You could have a word with the site manager / workers and they can get you the items out at closing time (there job is to move stuff).

As much as you are led to believe, most of the CCTV is not 24/7, so you need to visit on weekdays (NOT WEEKENDS) and 5 minutes before closing, this way you are last there and can get in and out quickly.

Do not haggle, look to much at the item (look for damage, dings etc). Take a gamble and get going ASAP.

Hope this helps, this and more works for me!

Nothing can be taken for FREE, this is theft. Also most sites have a Salvage Licence, so you can buy!

J.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:55 PM by greentoad »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  CLASSIC BMX SENTENCED TO DEATH

gfxgfx
gfx gfx