gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975610 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 19, 2024, 08:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  My first build (85 Sport) is finally complete!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My first build (85 Sport) is finally complete!!  (Read 1715 times)

supra_DT

My first build (85 Sport) is finally complete!!
« on: April 21, 2007, 02:56 AM »
Well the time is here and I finally have my first project 99% complete.  All I have to do is put on the chain and adjust the bars a bit more forward up and it'll be 100%.  I'm really really happy how it turned out.  I plan on changing the chainwheel to something a bit more Haro style.  I'm on the lookout.

I would like to thank the following people for helping supply the parts for the build:

--Biaggio at Vert Ego for the F&F, brakes, tires, pedals
--Virginia at Ginny Rini for the numerous parts I ordered, returned, reordered, returned.  Really appreciate it.   
--Trent at Sportwheels in Halifax for helping me out with questions etc and telling me about the forums dedicated to vintage and old school BMX.  And for the acs freecoaster.
--AJK Bikes for the Kneesaver bars
--Ebay for the auctions I won....lol

I would also like to thank the members on the boards for the great suggestions, ideas and tech information. 

Detailed parts list breakdown (All parts are NOS with the exception of the ACS wheel hubs)

1985 Haro Sport Frame and Fork (NOS orig)
Haro kneesaver handlebars
ODI mushroom grips (baby blue/white signature series "Tommy Brackens"
Forklifter stem (knockoff) polished
Tioga Bear Trap 2 headset
Odyssey Gyro
Baby Blue Upper Gyro cable
Baby Blue Lower Gyro cable
Dia Compe front brake cable (blue)
Brakes - Dia compe 880 front and 901 rear calipers (blue)
Brake Levers - Dia Compe Tech 6 levers (chrome)
Odyssey Excalibur 180mm 1pc crank
Tioga sealed bottom bracket for 1pc crank BB-2205B
Sugino Snowflake 46T Chanwheel (blue)
Pedals - Shimano SX pedal (blue)
Viscount Dominator bmx seat (white)
Blue Snakepost seatpost
Redline seat post clamp
ACS Z rims "Mike Buff" (white) with blue ACS hubs, white spokes,long shank spoke nipples (blue anodized)
Tires - Panaracer freestyle (white) 20 x 1.75
ACS Z pads brake pads (white)
Peregrine Axle nuts 3/8" 26TPI
IZUMI chain (chrome)

Now onto the pics....In the pic taken outside the front wheel isn't completely on because the axle had to be milled which I had done just a few hrs ago at my brother's machine shop.  The indoor pic shows the wheel on properly.

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks
Danny

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 02:59 AM by supra_DT »

highrisedrifter

Re: My first build (85 Sport) is finally complete!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 03:18 AM »
Haro ...  :smitten: :smitten:

nice build. I like the wheels on that. Sets it off nicely/  :daumenhoch:

HRD

madall

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 06:00 AM »
Lovely build buddy apart from the seat post, change it for a normal layback it will look so much better :daumenhoch:

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 07:12 AM »
very nice mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 07:58 AM »
Looks very nice dude! Sweet build.

I'm with Al, change the seatpost for a normal one and it'll look top drawer.  :daumenhoch:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:53 AM »
I bet that s a real BEAUT , in the flesh  :4_17_5:

( you,re right though ,the chainwheel just doesnt go , IT,S POWERDISC TIME !!! )

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 12:34 PM »
yep its a corker.....dito on the seat post, imho sports are long enough to warrant a straight seat post.....

you got a cool looking freestyle bike there tho fella.

i like

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 01:06 PM »
Very nice, you've got some bling on that stem  :D

I'm with the others on the seat post, not a fan of those snake ones; a straight one would look the business and really finish it off  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:53 PM »
Damn nice, superb stem  :daumenhoch:

As above, I'd go for another seatpost and maybe less "ancient" chainring.

Top build anyways...

supra_DT

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 03:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words.  I'm totally stoked that I now own what I once had 22 years ago as a kid.

I'll take the advice and change the post to a layback version (same colour) to give it a more era corrcect look.  Also will be going the 2 pc chainwheel/powerdisk combo.  I was thinking blue chainwheel / white powerdisk combo.  Just don't know what brand to go with exactly.  Need to do some searching on the bay.

Danny 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 03:58 PM by supra_DT »

darkersomeday

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 05:04 AM »
anyone would think you'd won an oscar or the pulizter prize with that thankyou list,
congratulations :4_17_5:
you bought a load of parts and put them together.

"i'd like to thank blaggo for having my pants down"

lovely old sport though :smitten:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 07:38 AM »
Looks very nice, I love those Wheels  :daumenhoch:

Its funny how we all pick up on the same things, when I first looked at it i said to my self seatpost & Chainwheel  ::)

supra_DT

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 01:53 AM »
anyone would think you'd won an oscar or the pulizter prize with that thankyou list,
congratulations :4_17_5:
you bought a load of parts and put them together.

"i'd like to thank blaggo for having my pants down"

lovely old sport though :smitten:

LOL.  I did drop alot of $$ with Vert Ego.  I couldn't find a sport f&f anywhere other than vertego at the time. I didn't want to go the route and restore one as I don't have time and my main focus is my car project (94 Supra).  The GBP exchange rate to CAD $$ is what raped me big time.  But I have no regrets and didn't put myslelf into debt even though I could have easily.  I was patient and didn't spend my money all at once.

I always thank people who I have good business dealings with.  Just a force of habit.  Those that f**k me also get it but in a much more evil way.  >:D

darkersomeday

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 03:32 AM »
dont worry mate, its only piss&vinegar, thats a minter of a sport that you've built!! :4_17_5:

supra eh? nice motor, i had a 94 3.0 auto non aerotop for 6 months or so till i bounced it off three walls, even with the autobox it was a great car, so tuneable,

send some pics?

supra_DT

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 04:52 AM »
dont worry mate, its only piss&vinegar, thats a minter of a sport that you've built!! :4_17_5:

supra eh? nice motor, i had a 94 3.0 auto non aerotop for 6 months or so till i bounced it off three walls, even with the autobox it was a great car, so tuneable,

send some pics?

Thanks.

The 2jz is the best platform in import autos.  They can take a beating for sure.  I can't wait until that project is done....lol.  Not even the Haro can feel better than 700 rwhp (what I'm shooting for) slamming you back into the seat  :daumenhoch:

I'll get some pics with the bike and car together.  My two pride and joys!

Pics of the car sent.

Danny

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Liking it fella. You can't beat a nice Haro. Not sure on seat post or Biaggio. I guess he know's its all about supply and demand ::)

How long did it take you to complete it?

I've just finished mine, see my first Master build post, it took me near on a year :-[

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 10:00 AM »
nice build, liking the bling headset, gyro and stem set up.  im quite liking spokes on sports at the mo, as far as seat posts go on them, i always go for a layback and then cut approx an inch and a half off the top of them, still get the extra length but with more strength than a full lay back and i think they look a lot tidier. you can't beat a sawn off Gt layback (first pic), bottom ones a cut down elf post :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:31 AM by OrgasmDonor »

supra_DT

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Liking it fella. You can't beat a nice Haro. Not sure on seat post or Biaggio. I guess he know's its all about supply and demand ::)

I've just finished mine, see my first Master build post, it took me near on a year :-[

I started my quest in early Jan07.  So 4 months.  I was lucky to score the parts that I wanted quickly.  I found a great vinatge parts shop in the USA that sells tons of OS/Vinatage parts for really good prices.  You may have heard of it called Ginny Rini (Rini's Bicycle Shop) loacted in Pennsylvania.

Danny

supra_DT

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 11:11 PM »
nice build, liking the bling headset, gyro and stem set up.  im quite liking spokes on sports at the mo, as far as seat posts go on them, i always go for a layback and then cut approx an inch and a half off the top of them, still get the extra length but with more strength than a full lay back and i think they look a lot tidier. you can't beat a sawn off Gt layback (first pic), bottom ones a cut down elf post :daumenhoch:

Actually I was thinking the same thing you did.  Just cutting the blue s post I have to make it a layback and save some $$.  Looks good in your pic  :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 09:09 AM »
if theres enough length on the bottom of it you'l get away with it, coz would be a shame not to use that post due to the colour :daumenhoch:

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 09:26 AM »

I started my quest in early Jan07.  So 4 months.  I was lucky to score the parts that I wanted quickly.  I found a great vinatge parts shop in the USA that sells tons of OS/Vinatage parts for really good prices.  You may have heard of it called Ginny Rini (Rini's Bicycle Shop) loacted in Pennsylvania.

No I don't know that name, perhaps why my 1st build took so long ;D. That and the fact there was certain bits I really wanted (same as I had bitd) that I just couldn't find for ages at a reasonable price, blue skyways, redline stem and I really wanted MKS graphites, but gave up waiting in the end.

Funny thing I did get a set off US ebay, advertised as 9/16 but when they arrived there where 1/2"! :-[

Danny

ronnie360

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 08:45 PM »
nice ride good build but i would change the lay back post i have one
on my sport and it is bent now,i have to sorce a straight post me own self now  :daumenhoch:

ronnie

supra_DT

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 01:55 AM »
Updated pics with the chain on and redline decal on the stem.  And parked against my 4 wheel pride and joy!

Enjoy.

Danny

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  My first build (85 Sport) is finally complete!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx