gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aero Reflex Build process
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Aero Reflex Build process  (Read 3551 times)

BarryZola

Re: Aero Reflex Build process
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 09:22 AM »
Hey there badboys :daumenhoch:

I've nearly finished my first build now which is the above mentioned aero reflex. I've done something really stupid which i need advice with after you've checked out the pics of the builds progression. I'll add more detailed shots when i've fully finished it off for those of you who love to see loads of pics. Here's how it's gone so far anyway:

Parts include: Tuffs, elina peregrine seat, renthal layback post, gt performer bars, AME grips, dia compe 901's, Gt pedals, dyno stem, odyssey seatclamp, sugino crank, panaracer freestyle tyres.

Right, so now to my problem. I had a sit on it about a week ago to test out the brakes and stuff. The front caliper seemed to move a bit when i applied the brake so i decided to tighten it up a bit :-\ After a few too many turns i managed to brake the end of the bolt/thread off (i felt like a right nobhead :-[)

So, can anyone give me advice on what to do? This brake set is brand spanking stock along with the rest of the bike so i'd hate to have to throw it away and buy a whole new caliper. Can i seperate the thread bit and replace it? Can i get that part from a bike shop? Does anyone have a spare bit that they can sort me out with for a few quid? I really need your help here guys, you've been great so far :daumenhoch: Also, i've been having problems getting the brake cables to be really tight after i've installed them. Any advice on how to get them fitted real good? Thanks for looking peeps ;)

P.S - Anyone reckon i could do with slightly taller bars? I'm over six foot and i fear i'm gonna get back ache? Any advice on same type of style but slightly taller?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 09:27 AM by BarryZola »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Looks nice mate!!  yes i'm sure you can get an old caliper and swap over the threaded bolt parts no problem.........what happened to the black Tuffs and white walls?

I love that combo!  :smitten:

BarryZola

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Thanks mate! The black tuffs and whitewalls are laying in wait for whatever my next project is :daumenhoch:

Anyone got a cheapo old caliper to sell me then? :)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 10:15 AM »
Is it for the front?  if so i've got a bolt or caliper i can send you mate.....just PM me your address and i'll post it too you mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 11:33 AM »
just be carefull with the layback that high. laybacks have a tendancy to kill old frames, around the seatclamp area.
I want to touch ORB

BarryZola

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 01:31 PM »
Cheers mate, i'll be lowering it slightly then. Should help my back a bit too with regards to bending down to the bars. Every little helps. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:33 PM by BarryZola »

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2007, 02:06 PM »
Cheers mate, i'll be lowering it slightly then. Should help my back a bit too with regards to bending down to the bars. Every little helps. :daumenhoch:
Try CW Pro or Expert copy bars (cost around £15, £20 notes NOS). They're pretty high and wide so comfortable for taller riders.....but are less practical on ramps though.

just be carefull with the layback that high. laybacks have a tendancy to kill old frames, around the seatclamp area.

And laybacks have a tendancy to really layback as I found out once :LolLolLolLol:

Paul :)
Vans Style

Paulo

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 02:35 PM »
Barry thats looking really good. Nice and clean with good colours.  :daumenhoch:

If you have problems getting a brake bolt pm me. Is it the front or back brake? 

I'm putting together a Reflex just now.  What's been the hardest bit so far?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2007, 03:34 PM »

[/quote]
And laybacks have a tendancy to really layback as I found out once :LolLolLolLol:

Paul :)
[/quote]

Was it an Odessey one then mate??  they bend more than a bendy thing!!

Oh and always remember to put your stunt pegs on far enough or they'll snap off  :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2007, 06:07 PM »
Was it an Odessey one then mate??  they bend more than a bendy thing!!
Oh and always remember to put your stunt pegs on far enough or they'll snap off  :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol: Very good pickle, you remembered my trick stunt peg from Epic...poor Darren who was trying the Miami Hop on my Reflex......snap!!!!

Yes Odyssey, definitely a bender, now use Renthal, much harder...ooo errr :D

Vans Style

BarryZola

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the bars aerostylie, i'll look into it if need be.

Thanks for the offer Paulo, it was the front Caliper, but pickle has already kindly agreed to help me out on that front (you guys are good people). The hardest parts have been getting the brake cables to be tight (think i've got there now, just sorted the back brake and it's pretty good now, works fine). Other than that, getting the various cups into the headset and bottom bracket bit was a bit of a bummer. Had to use the wood and massive hammer technique and really give it a good bash. Other than that, it's just been making sure i've been doing things right by querying on here as it's my first build and didn't want to mess up. I bought one of those raleigh chain link extractor things for taking links off the chain that worked a treat (cost about a fiver but is something i can use again and again). Any more questions on anything you think i could help you with, just message me or post in here and i'll try to help you as best i can.

Just went out for the first ride on it with just a back brake. Only about 5 mins but it seems to all be fine. Just need to pump the tyres up a bit more, then get that front brake fitted when i get the part. Thanks for the help guys, you're :4_17_5:

Paulo

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 10:01 PM »
Go for it fella. Now you're hooked. Whats your next build?

I know what you mean about the ball racers in the headset and bottom brackets. There's a thread on just now with some good advice about the bottom fork racer. I picked up a 1" steel tube from B&Q which slid over the fork nicely. One wack with the hammer and the racer was there.  Also picked up a large nut & bolt with two big washers cause someone suggested to squeeze the fork ball racers into the frame rather than wacking them. Unfortunately I'd already wacked them in, but I'm ready for next time.

Enjoy the ride m8  :daumenhoch:

BarryZola

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2007, 03:11 PM »
Cheers. Don't know what i'm doing next really, just gonna see what takes my fancy.  :)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2007, 03:18 PM »
Bolt's in the post mate  :daumenhoch:

BarryZola

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 12:25 PM »
Lovely stuff, look forward to getting it sorted when it arrives. Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated :4_17_5:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 12:37 PM »

I'd already wacked them in, but I'm ready for next time.

Enjoy the ride m8  :daumenhoch:

thus starts the obsession.
I want to touch ORB

adam

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2007, 10:57 PM »

As stated in an earlier post in this thread I'm in the process of collecting parts for my first old school build since bitd.       I have made a webpage showing the parts I have sourced so far  http://www.adboo.com/aero_reflex.htm

I did buy the new GT pedals for my girlsfriend old Dyno that I'm tidying up (see here   http://www.adboo.com/bmx.htm   )    but may put the old GT pedals back on the Dyno.   

Would my new GT pedals be correct for the Aero ?   I can't remember them myself in that era, but I can't even remember what pedals I had on my bikes.

Cheers............Adam

BarryZola

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Well, i finished this bike ages ago, but just chucked a couple of pads on, even though they don't fit great. Thought i'd just go for a couple of pads instead of using the original decals. I've been going out for a ride on it occasionally, but giving it a good clean when i get it home. I'm really happy with it and it's really light. I didn't bother to get white tuff pads so i now have a nice yellow line around my wheels ;D Doesn't look too bad though, and i can always sort that out at some point with a bit of work.

Tuff wheels
GT Pedals
Dyno stem
sugino crank
Panaracer tyres
GT Performer bars
Odyssey seat clamp
Renthal layback
Elina peregrine seat
Dia compe mx901 brakeset
Ame Tri grips

Thanks for the help along the way folks, especially Paulo and Pickle for helping me out with the part for my caliper :daumenhoch:

adam

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 09:26 PM »

Haven't put any of mine together yet at all !    I'm still cleaning up these bloody Renthal bars,  there were some digs in the brackets and crossbar so I have been (hand) polishing them out.  It's taking fooking ages but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Adam

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aero Reflex Build process

gfxgfx
gfx gfx