gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 02:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polishing & Protecting Polished Aluminium Components
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Polishing & Protecting Polished Aluminium Components  (Read 903 times)

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Polishing & Protecting Polished Aluminium Components
« on: April 21, 2007, 03:34 PM »
Afternoon Folks,

Just finished polishing three Araya 7x rims (2x36H & 1x48H), which had been in the oven pride...

I polished these using Meguiars NXT Generation All Metal Polish on an electric polisher and they came up a treat.

Now, I'll be building these tonight whilst the kids are in bed, but before I do that, is there anything else I should put on these to help protect them and keep their shine, before I lace them?

Thanks in advance!  :daumenhoch:

Brian.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Polishing & Protecting Polished Aluminium Components
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 03:43 PM »
I'd give them a whizz over with Meguairs NXT Tech Polish - although the all metal polish does a good job of protecting them the polish will seal it for a good while  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 04:05 PM »
cheers marty  :daumenhoch:

Brian.

adam

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 02:18 PM »

Anybody tried spraying clear laquer over their polished components ?   Does it work ?    I'm cleaning up some old calipers and rather than getting them painted black again I want to have them as pollished ali.

Cheers..........Adam

gt0733

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 11:54 PM »

Anybody tried spraying clear laquer over their polished components ?   Does it work ?    I'm cleaning up some old calipers and rather than getting them painted black again I want to have them as pollished ali.

Cheers..........Adam

i'd be a bit sceptical about spraying them. i've seen quite a few polished wheels on cars that have had this done and after a while the laquer goes to an off colour and starts getting flaky, which would mean removing the laquer and doing again. i'd rather the raw polished finish so it can be polished easily to keep them shiny and protected.

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:30 AM »

Have a look at this thread. It mentions getting them clear powder coated after they have been polished. Don't know anything about it but they do look good.   :daumenhoch:

http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021493#000000

zed4130

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:38 AM »
WOW those guys on vintage take some great pics ,sweet bike  :daumenhoch:

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:16 AM »
Nice isn't it.  :smitten: 

Imagine takin your bike to a professional photographer to get pics of your bike done.   :wtf:   It's bad enough spending loads of cash on the things but getting pics taken of your bike instead of the wife and kids  :LolLolLolLol:   She'd go mental.      :tickedoff:

zed4130

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:18 AM »
Nice isn't it.  :smitten: 

Imagine takin your bike to a professional photographer to get pics of your bike done.   :wtf:   It's bad enough spending loads of cash on the things but getting pics taken of your bike instead of the wife and kids  :LolLolLolLol:   She'd go mental.      :tickedoff:

i think the missis would give me the look  ::) if i said i was taken one of my bikes to get its pic taken  :laugh:

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 10:28 AM »
must've been a squeeze getting it into the photo both at the local train station !!  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:41 AM »
he could have cleaned his tyres LOL

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polishing & Protecting Polished Aluminium Components

gfxgfx
gfx gfx