gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975756 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 05:35 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has old skool been done to death ?? .........................
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has old skool been done to death ?? .........................  (Read 4160 times)

theRuler

Re: Has old skool been done to death ?? .........................
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 06:27 PM »
i like all bmx bikes, all ages from any era.

and really when you think about it anything over 10 years old is "old school"

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 07:04 PM »
I just like all bikes, I ride a road & MTB, but love collecing & building 80s BMX  :)

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007, 09:29 PM »
I love it all; old, mid, new, riding, collecting, the mags, the people. It's all good to me.  :daumenhoch:

I think this almost says it all..........................

....................along with this

I just like all bikes, I ride a road & MTB, but love collecing & building 80s BMX  :)

re-discovering bmx's (old school that is) has made me realise that I just love bikes. It doesn't matter if it's old school, new school, MTB or road bike, if I like the look of it, I buy it. Admittedly, old school is and always will be my 'first love', but I don't bother riding them at all and never have. I've ridden my mid-school and new school in the past, but if I'm honest I don't ride them anymore. I can't ride a 20" for toffee and never really have been able to so I've given up trying.

I now just ride my MTB and my 'pub bike', but I still collect old school BMX and even buy new school stuff to build (and not ride). They're my pieces of art and one day I'll have them all lined up in their own 'gallery' (if I ever stop buying long enough to finish some of them)  ::) :LolLolLolLol:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 11:06 AM »
generally people are gonna go for thier era, but then again all collecters of anything will acumulate to speculate or buy whatever comes up that they have an appreciation for. my BITD was 79-86 and i love the bikes around that era but i also love the quirky bikes of the very late 80's and early 90's, bikes that i wouldnt of knew existed if i hadnt stumbled across them on here or elsewhere while looking for bits, the hwa fong daddy, assassin, elf double cross etc i like what i like, this aint a fad to me its an appreciation of some of the best usable geometry ever created, and the myriad of quality accessories that embelished these frames n forks. there are many a true collecter, i only buy what i like or as with many of you, i buy what i really liked BITD but couldnt afford. im sure 2007 riders will collect thier era 20 years down the line but will also by then have an appreciation of the bikes they evolved from and maybe add them to thier collection so the scope will vary if you truly enjoy the bikes.

Frosty

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 11:36 AM »
I love the os bikes, just my time, I don't know anything about the mid or ns bikes as I was rebuilding my first car then and into booze n birds etc etc.

I'm sure everyone is right about the two aspects of the hobby, os for building and ns for the riding, other than the os races scene which does seem to be doing rather well thanks to Ratty and Co.

Replica's, I love em, the Bob Haro's and Mike D's etc all awsome. I could look at Dave's Gen 1 and Jay's numerous Haro's all day long - they just take me back to when I was a spotty yoof!! That said I have built one bike back to oem advert spec (laserlite) and the thrill of the chase for parts is as much fun as the building.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 10:46 PM »
I only wish I'd got back into this scene sooner (Dec2005)  :(
The time from being 11 years old (1982) to 16 (1987) BMX was in my blood ,rode every day :)  >:D
So the nostalgia trip ,first discovering people selling items on Ebay , particularly NOS blew me away
A big kid in a toy shop  :shocked:
OLD SKOOL WILL ALWAYS BE COOL (if its too dear now for peeps , it's just like when you wanted that holy grail bike BITD )
The bikes and old ads are just part of the magic attached to the many great memories of friends and places back then.
But also the other great thing now with NS it's happenning all over again for me ,buying bits ,riding , meeting fantastic people an' avin a laugh, seeking new places to ride ! ( I'll keep my bike in the loft this time ,to sell on tebay in 25 years  to someone who's reliving their youth, this era will be their OS)
Oh bollox I've strayed from the topic
There will ALWAYS be something OS to amaze me   :smitten:
As for BMX ,basically I love it

Trev

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 12:25 AM »
No thread is complete without my post pub ramblings on it.....  :LolLolLolLol:

I love old school, cos that's what i am...  I have a couple of old school skyways, a street beat and a street scene.  i know further up this thread, someone said there are so many street beats about. why does that matter?? if you liked the street beat, then build one up. you're doing it for yourself and no one else. so what if there are 100's the same.  i'm not that fussed about collecting old school.  the one's i have appeared by accident in some sort of way....

if i were to build one up from scratch, i wouldn't be that bothered about getting all the exact parts.  my first attempt of an old school build would without a doubt be a Neil Ruffell Orange Street Beat.  However, as long as the F&F were orange as were the Tuffs and a white seat and EZ bars, then that would be good enough for me.  To get the exact parts would probably cost me an absolute fortune.  Neil changed parts on his bike quite often, so what would you classed as correct?

I also like the new school as i prefer to ride rather than collect.  i think most people who got back into it, were adamant they would stay old school.  but as time moves on, and they want to ride, they are realising more and more that old school is just for show and if they want to ride, then they have to have a new school.  i bought a street beat a month or so ago and had a little go on it.  trying a cherry picker on it, it really felt as if the tuffs were gonna snap.  i really feel uneasy about riding it as it feels so weak.

the bottom line is that old schoolers get back into it for the buzz of getting the bike they never had as a child.  then two things happen. firstly, they then want to ride and get their old tricks back. an old school bike rarely can take the weight of a mid 30's guy who weighs in the region of 15 stone.  secondly, the prices of "era correct" parts are getting so ridiculous now, that once built most people are too afraid to ride them for risk of damage.  therefore a lot are coming to their senses and realising they are paying usually over a £1000 for a bike to just look at. i wouldn't pay that sort of money for any ornament.  you may laugh at people who pay thousands for a painting, but aren't the collectors basically doing the same thing??

i think while my body can still take a limited beating, i will continue to ride.  once i physically can't ride any more, then i may consider buying some "ornaments".

zed4130

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 08:36 AM »
I must admit ,i have no OS now ,but thats ok ,as ive got my nuschool ride ,and its a bmx ,and thats what it all about BMX old or new ,its not all about how many bikes you have ,its about how much you love bmx  :daumenhoch: and anyway isnt 1 enough ?  ;)

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 12:30 PM »
i think the prices of old skool stuff  is part of the problem, just look at the price of dia compe 1000's for a start!  :shocked:plus the time it takes to source the right part/s .
as for building an 80's bike looks class, weather its a stock build /replica or rider who cares-just build  :)agreeing with madall ,you can tell an 80's bike apart , where nu school bikes all look the same (to me anyway  :LolLolLolLol:)
myself for riding i mostly use mid school  and my 80's for just cruising around on . wouldn't want to do anything too major on them :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 12:57 PM »
I love them all!  OS/Mid/New.........I myself though that all newies looked the same and that OS bikes were the be all and end all.......but after building up my street  beat, then a Reflex (sold now) after trying to ride Epic on the beat i had to give in to what everyone was telling me and have a go on a new school.  well thanks to MeddlE i now went and bought a newie and have never looked back!  I love all the schools though......

Old for looking at and cruising on
Mid for looking at and thrashing/cruising on
New for all round thrashing/having a blast on!!!  :crazy2:

But it's good  :daumenhoch:

Ooops forgot to add..........now i've begun to love and appreciate the new school bikes......when you look at them you can really see subtle diferences.  Take a look at Flaz's, Jimwise's Darksomedays bikes and you can see that lots of work has gone into making top notch bikes that can take a hammering.  I used to say they all looked the same......but they don't!

And never one to miss an oppotunity.....heres my cheapo newie! 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 01:06 PM by pickle »

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 02:43 PM »
Amything upto 89 for me, but saying that GT did some nice bikes in the early 90s :smitten: :smitten:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 03:09 PM »
Well has it been done to Death? I don't think so, two pics from Sunday, me an jimwise, just look at the eyes an the grin!!!

Old school rocks :4_17_5:

A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 03:22 PM »
Jims teeth make him look like a Red neck Hill billy  :2funny: :2funny: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 03:24 PM »
Tony,

Where did you get that helmet?  I need to get one, want a full face and would prefer something plain !!

:daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Flaz

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 03:42 PM »
old skool new school  ??? bmx  just a shame i gave it up as a kid  and it took 24 yrs to get back into it   :-\ 

old skool racing is a gas as well, if you aint never done it give it a go  :4_17_5: 

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 03:44 PM »
Yeah i plan to give that a go myself mate........maybe not till MK though as i don't think my bike will be ready in time  :-\

and the fact it's not legally an OS bike as well  ::)

munners

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Ive just been reading through this thread and had to comment.

I have thought about it long and hard and i reckon im just one of those 'art collectors' who just look at the piece they have got and think WOW. I could literally glaze at them all day. I love them, but i love all old skool bmx's.

Im at work at the moment and ive got all my TA's here. I have literally spent about an hour of the day today just looking at them. They are so fooking georgeous.

I rode my white TA about 2 months ago. It was the best thing ever. So cool........a gleaming white bike with white tuff two's and funky colour grips and pedals. How many of them do ya see on the road now? But there again how many bikes do ya see like this at all now in the new skool scene?  To me, new skool bikes look dull and heavy and have all got spokes!! But in fairness I have never had one, so i havent given myself a chance to appreciate them.

I also took my Haro over a local skate park and the kids flocked around it. I was gutted though as they hadnt even seen tuffs before. They said that the only bikes theve seen mags on was little 2 and 3 year olds bikes. So true! Mark my word, if you could make a bike that emulated the old skool bikes and put tuffs on them you could start something! You could make ya self a rich man if ya did it right.

Old skool was fun, changing parts, colour schemes, and taking the piss out of ya mates cos he's got a tikagi 1 piece and you got redline flights.  :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007, 04:08 PM »
Tony,

Where did you get that helmet?  I need to get one, want a full face and would prefer something plain !!

:daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:
Stace, its acheapy diamond back one, I got it off gaybay for a score, but it is time to upgrade, my head dont fit it too well and its restricting my breathing, so Troy is gonna get richer soon :-\

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 04:17 PM »

Old skool was fun, changing parts, colour schemes, and taking the piss out of ya mates cos he's got a tikagi 1 piece and you got redline flights.  :daumenhoch:

You never lived in Stevenage then mate!  :LolLolLolLol:  you were lucky to have a Tikagi or Sugino 1 piece crank!  :LolLolLolLol:

munners

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2007, 04:24 PM »
Mate, we all had them here in Kingston. ;)

Whats weird, is that i used a Takagi on one of my white TA's and a Sugino on my Haro recently!!! They are sweet to ride.

:idiot2: Considering i used to rip the fook out of them when i was younger.  WHY?????

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2007, 04:25 PM »
Even when I was sponsored I didnt get 3 piece :-\, it took loads of nagging to get bleedin 180s
 ::)

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2007, 04:51 PM »
my head dont fit it too well

now i was going to keep schtum on this , but fook me fella , is that an action man lid LOL

at least it keeps your head in one piece lol and thats the important thing  :daumenhoch:

but it did make me laugh , which is a good thing lol

Rich

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2007, 04:56 PM »
Im suprised Rich, your the first one brave enuff to take the piss, Ive been wearing it 6 months and it does look stoopid, I thought I would have copped a lot more abuse by now :2funny:

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2007, 05:42 PM »
I was gonna mention it looked a bit small, but then I reckon your secretly renowned for wearing things slightly shifted from the norm !!

I know the R stands for Ratty, but this here is a bit much mate  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Only kidding fella !!! (I'll start kissing arse now, an 18st Punch will hurt like fek !!)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 05:46 PM by Stace »

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2007, 06:02 PM »

Only kidding fella !!! (I'll start kissing arse now, an 18st Punch will hurt like fek !!)
You wouldnt feel a thing  >:D  :2funny:

But I would deffo give her it a swerve, thats just plain scary  :shocked: :bondage:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has old skool been done to death ?? .........................

gfxgfx
gfx gfx