gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ad990 brake help needed plz ....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ad990 brake help needed plz ....  (Read 995 times)

dodgydave

ad990 brake help needed plz ....
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:13 PM »
hi guys ..hi just got a set of ad's....but cant weigh up how the things go on ...plz can anybody shed some light on it for me ..cheers ........i got two little silver things with allen key screaws in them where do they go ?...any pics ..

dodgydave

Re: ad990 brake help needed plz ....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:46 PM »
anybody ?????....i sat here with a allen key ...lol

bof

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:09 PM »
are they domed bolts that you are talking about that are 5mm allen key size or are they a small alloy thing with a small grub screw, If its the latter they are a commonly known as a knarp, or solderless nipple LMK if you need any more help.

dodgydave

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 07:10 PM »
pm,ed you m8 ...

rarman1

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 07:22 PM »
ok,

first of there should be 2 prongs on a spring, one prong goes into the hole in the caliper, then the shroud goes on then the adjusment cap, the bolt goes through the lot and screws into the lug on your forks,

to adjust the brakes tension the spring by turning it clockwise (on left side) (anticlockwise on right side) when the pad is not touching rim lock it in position with the allen key bolt,

fingers hurt now :LolLolLolLol:

dodgydave

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 07:32 PM »
this is the caliper & bits i got with them ...

the bits dont hold the cable prob....

rarman1

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 07:56 PM »
is that all the bits that came with them ?, i was fortunate to have a few bits and bobs lying about to make mine up as in the pic,

were they from a shop ?

the green bits are cable tidy's after youve assembled the brakes fully they go on the end of the cable to prevent any stabing,

the other part is the cable knarp its the locking part to the cable (different type to mine but sane function) on the left,

looks like you need an adjuster though, should be able to get one at a local bike shop ;)

rarman1

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 08:20 PM »
just took a pic of my front ad990 and i think your one might be a rear (they sell front and rear)

it dont mean you cant use it if it is just means you need another bit like my magic (first pic) :daumenhoch:

dodgydave

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 08:34 PM »
hi rar m8 ..thats all i got ..( from winstanleys)..got 2 the same , as i was told they do front & rear...i see waht you mean by the adjuster ..i only got the brake adj,er.....

rarman1

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 09:38 PM »
sorry wrong pic in last post, THIS is my ad990 front :D

you see its different at the top right hand side, but as i said before you can adapt a rear to work on the front,

however as you got them new from winstanleys give a call and tell them thev'e f*cked up :LolLolLolLol:

dodgydave

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 09:59 PM »
just looked on winstanleys site & acording to there site..its a universal fitting kit for front & rear !!!......( the nobs ...i gonna ring them 2moz ..& tell them to fit the foooooking things )...lol..give up .. :-\

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 02:50 PM »
Yeah,  an AD990 is a rear brake. End of. However,  they can be bodged onto the front perfectly well  ;)  The cable sits in the quick release side and you hold the cable with a knarp or nipple clamp as previously mentioned.  The FS990 is basically the same thing but has a cable holder/adjuster on one side and the nipple clamp on t'other.  Its likely that the 'universal fitting kit' will be a bolt on cable adjuster and a nipple clamp/knarp style thingie.

A tip for you;  altering the overall width of the arms by moving the blocks in or out, will alter the feel and braking pressure. Worth fiddling with.

Another tip; dont get the gold and silver springs mixed up, they are wound differently......  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ad990 brake help needed plz ....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx