gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:43 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Tuff front flanges
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway Tuff front flanges  (Read 3508 times)

highrisedrifter

Skyway Tuff front flanges
« on: April 16, 2007, 02:00 AM »
Hi there

I've seen that Rudewheels seem to be selling quite a few pairs of Skyway wheels without the front flanges, like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOS-BMX-ORIG-SKYWAY-TUFF-II-2-WHEELS-GREEN-FREEWHEEL_W0QQitemZ290104981286QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33503QQcmdZViewItem

Is it particularly difficult to obtain the parts to make these work? Rudewheels seem to think it isn't but i've looked everywhere I can think of (or know about) and I can't find any flanges or a front axle kit anywhere.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

HRD

Trev

Re: Skyway Tuff front flanges
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 08:37 AM »
your best bet is probably to find an old battered and cracked tuff and take the flange of that...

highrisedrifter

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:43 AM »
Yeah, you could be right I guess.

Thanks

HRD

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 11:06 PM »
Hi there

I've seen that Rudewheels seem to be selling quite a few pairs of Skyway wheels without the front flanges, like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOS-BMX-ORIG-SKYWAY-TUFF-II-2-WHEELS-GREEN-FREEWHEEL_W0QQitemZ290104981286QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33503QQcmdZViewItem

Is it particularly difficult to obtain the parts to make these work? Rudewheels seem to think it isn't but i've looked everywhere I can think of (or know about) and I can't find any flanges or a front axle kit anywhere.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

HRD
i think if anybody finds some flanges the price of those tuffs will go up, i would love a pair of the light blue ones but don't want to risk it until i can find a front hub :tickedoff:

highrisedrifter

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:11 PM »
I think if anybody finds some flanges the price of those tuffs will go up, i would love a pair of the light blue ones but don't want to risk it until i can find a front hub :tickedoff:

That's exactly the same thoughts I have had too.

HRD

Trev

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 11:13 PM »
i also wanted the light blues....  i knew i should have bought the set lucylastic had....  :yahoo_silent:

electro808

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 11:30 PM »
I bought a front Skyway hub replacement kit from Golo55 on eBay.com.  I think I paid about $25 for it.  I'm sure he probably has some more stashed away...  Here is a link for 1 of his listings.  You will be able to contact him by using the ask seller a question function...

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAVENDER-SHIMANO-MX-15-PEDALS-1-2-OLD-SCHOOL-BMX_W0QQitemZ160106540009QQihZ006QQcategoryZ64644QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I desperately need 5 Skyway Hub replacement bolts to get my restored black Tuff II's finished.  The wheels had been painted which was easily sorted with a bit of Nitro-Mors but I noticed that the rear wheel was dished (concave instead of convex) so I had to remove the alloy hub by drilling out the rivet heads.  I then got an old wheel and mounted the flanges the opposite way, with the bearing retainers facing each other inside the hub.  Then I got an old spindle and just tightened the spindle until it pulled the flanges back to their original convex shape.  Job done, all I need now is the bolts and my Fiola replica will be rolling on alloy flange Tuffs...

Skyway bolts would be my first choice but if anyone knows another solution, that would also be cool...

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:32 PM »
wish I had a few spare sets of front flanges :)

Trev

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 11:33 PM »
wish I had a few spare sets of front flanges :)

are you being rude mr orb?   :LolLolLolLol:  :angel:  >:D

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36 PM »
not in my nature Mr Trev ;)

Although, I do wish that I had a stash of Tuff Wheel Alloy hub replacements sitting in a box in the attic :)

highrisedrifter

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 11:48 PM »
Thanks Electro

I've just dropped him a line to ask him.

Cheers

HRD

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 09:28 PM »
I bought a front Skyway hub replacement kit from Golo55 on eBay.com.  I think I paid about $25 for it.  I'm sure he probably has some more stashed away...  Here is a link for 1 of his listings.  You will be able to contact him by using the ask seller a question function...

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAVENDER-SHIMANO-MX-15-PEDALS-1-2-OLD-SCHOOL-BMX_W0QQitemZ160106540009QQihZ006QQcategoryZ64644QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I desperately need 5 Skyway Hub replacement bolts to get my restored black Tuff II's finished.  The wheels had been painted which was easily sorted with a bit of Nitro-Mors but I noticed that the rear wheel was dished (concave instead of convex) so I had to remove the alloy hub by drilling out the rivet heads.  I then got an old wheel and mounted the flanges the opposite way, with the bearing retainers facing each other inside the hub.  Then I got an old spindle and just tightened the spindle until it pulled the flanges back to their original convex shape.  Job done, all I need now is the bolts and my Fiola replica will be rolling on alloy flange Tuffs...

Skyway bolts would be my first choice but if anyone knows another solution, that would also be cool...
i thin you can get some bolts from b+q that should fit for about a quid  :)

Dr Skyway

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 09:43 AM »
Although, I do wish that I had a stash of Tuff Wheel Alloy hub replacements sitting in a box in the attic 

I bet my stash is bigger than yours  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 10:28 AM »
 :rant: I've bought a set of the rude wheels skyways minus the front flanges, thinking i'll just pick up the front hub later, no problem. :D
but like a previous post mentioned, they are a git to find. And due to by the sounds of it loads of us buying these realitively cheap wheel sets they are getting even hard to come across.

I missed out on a guy from the US who had 2 front flange kits on the bay, but both went for $25 plus dollars. If you can find a front wheel only thats basically had it, they will now fetch £20ish.

:rant:

I have to admit in the end I've gone and bought a complete set of old knackered wheels and I'll be nicking the front hub from that ;).But even a knackered set of alloy hubbed tuffs cost me £50. look at the state of um

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 10:39 AM »
they are not ally hubbed tuffs though ;)

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Er.....I'm lost now ;D

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Does Alloy rust?

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 11:22 AM »
Don't you just love clever kids :LolLolLolLol:

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 03:46 AM »

First gen Campy flanges.  The blue flange was a Custom one done for one of the factory riders back in the day....

These are some ones just found at the factory.... I have just a few of them... a couple fronts and rears....
 Gary.... check your email!
-Ed

highrisedrifter

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 05:27 AM »
ooh Ed. Can I have a set of front flanges please?  :daumenhoch:

Cheers

HRD

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 08:35 PM »
I have a fair few of them 'Graphite' hubs kicking about, they are ace, look well different

Paulo

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 07:10 PM »
Keep an eye on this place on ebay

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/radracingbmx

They're the official Skyway outlet. Because of the exchange rate at the moment you can pick up the coloured tuffs for about £85-£105 inc postage depending on the colour, and black and white ones for about £70 . You don't have to go for the coaster brake either.

No light blues ones there at the moment though. They look the dogs. :smitten:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Tuff front flanges

gfxgfx
gfx gfx