gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 07:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  PLUCKING UP THE COURAGE!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PLUCKING UP THE COURAGE!  (Read 2150 times)

munners

PLUCKING UP THE COURAGE!
« on: April 11, 2007, 08:19 AM »
Hi all,

My eldest is off today for half term and i am going to take him over to a park at lunchtime where they got a quarter pipe and try and bust some moves. If im honest i am shitting myself and but ive gotta pull it off because i told him how good i used to be.  :idiot2:

ANY TIPS IF YA GOT A FEW COBWEBS. I aint been on a pipe for about 20 years - SERIOUS!!!!!

Trev

Re: PLUCKING UP THE COURAGE!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:24 AM »
if you ain't been on one for 20 years, then the only advice i can give is get padded up as much as you can and take things very slowly.  it's not as easy as it used to be.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:44 AM »
I'll second that!  and don't worry too much mate.....his your lad, he already thinks your the coolest  :daumenhoch:

Well until he becoime a teenager!

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 08:48 AM »
And dont try and do too much too soon, just roll around till you feel comfortable, wont be anytning worse than the sprogg seeing his dad mashed up :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:12 AM »
As above, but don't forget to relax and enjoy it!  :daumenhoch:

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Good luck mate !
Don't forget to tell us how you were

highrisedrifter

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:15 AM »
yeah, good luck. I'm in the same boat as you , Munners, so i'd be interested to know how you got on.

HRD

theRuler

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:16 AM »
go fast at it
the skills will come flooding back.

be confident. dilly dallying when you get to the coping will only test your pads.

Coastvl

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:51 AM »
I had the exact same problem when I took my son to the skatepark. he's seen all the pics and expected the same. I gave it my best shot. I still have a way to go though. Time will bring it back. Or you could do as ruler said and hit it at ballslappin' speed and hope for the best!  :daumenhoch:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 12:02 PM »
put a helmet on for sure lol.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Walk before you run. In the years i've been back i've seen a few people do them self some damage on their first time out thinking it's like riding a bike, oh wait it is riding a bike  :crazy2:

You know what i mean though.  :P

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Make sure you wear a full face helmet with your pads

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:28 PM »
I've shown the pictures/video of the times i've been caught on camera and my boy was well impressed!!  (rose tinted glasses me thinks)  ;)  but like i said.....whatever you do he'll think it's great that you're out there with him and taking an interest.......a great way to bond with your kids  :daumenhoch:

Flaz

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 04:03 PM »
good quality pads, full face helmet, gloves,  respect the fact that it has been twenty odd years and try to ride as much as your wife will let you

you'll see progess every time you go out, even if its just your balance improving

enjoy  flaz

Steve_W

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 04:12 PM »
Yeah I just rode at the weekend for the first time in ages...I just plucked up the courage to do the spine and just about got over it, but stacked it on the second go, I was proper knackered after though...but the trick is to keep going out, now summer's here I'm trying to get out after work for an hour at least 3 times a week, take my kid with me...he wants to ride ramps, but his grandad bought him an apollo last year (Halfords own make) which is OK for rolling around, but too big for him to do ramps, so hopefully I'll be getting a 16" for him.

But, back to you, don't go mental first time out and be disappointed...it took me a while to get the bollocks to drop in on a 5 ft quarter pipe!  I used to do it without thinking...still, I reckon another 5 to 10 2 hour sessions and I'll be airing again...remember to take your phone and make sure you have St Johns ambulance on speed dial!

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 04:28 PM »
good luck Nick, don't forget to tell someone where you are...., like the St John's Ambulance !  :LolLolLolLol:

know what ya man, theres a small skate park near me, i'd love to get down there, but theres a few little lads doing whip-flips et al, and they hadn't even invented them when i last rode a BMX on a freestlye ramp  :(

god for it, but one step at a time !!  :)
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

dodgydave

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 04:36 PM »
yep ..put some shin pads on m8 ..i took son out , was bouncing on back wheel thinking i was 15 again ...ouch ..big hole in my shin ..does not tickile ..lol.. , but if your out why your son ...he thinks your cool anyway m8 ..i take them track all time now m8 , dont give a chuff what anybody thinks ....in fact i going in a min ....lol..have fun... :daumenhoch:

Haley

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Same here Munners. I stopped riding about 23 years ago. Got the bug again late last year and built myself a firebird freestyler.
Every time I think about going out on it with the kids Im touching cloth. :crazy2:

theRuler

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 05:14 PM »
Im touching cloth. :crazy2:

LOL
haven't heard that phrase in a while

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 05:29 PM »
 You'll need as much protective gear as you can get , cos it takes AGES longer for the pain to go ,WHEN you come off (and you will )  :uglystupid2:

Your gonna love it   >:D  :daumenhoch:

Voodoocars

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 08:16 PM »
I,ve just got back on a bmx in 25 years.I've been going to Coventry memorial park for about a month now and I've improved loads.Long way to go tho' but I absolutly love it.I sometimes get a bit of a crowd watching the 'old man' on the 'little bike'.I cant wait to go to epic in Birmingham or rom so I can get on proper ramps-these tiddly little 1/3 pipes are no good (he says)! Carry on at your own pace I say.Ian   

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 11:16 PM »
put a helmet on for sure lol

i should have took my own advice tonight in bones.
straight over the bars on the mini ramp trying to air it lol.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 09:52 AM »
go fast at it
the skills will come flooding back.

be confident. dilly dallying when you get to the coping will only test your pads.

what he said.

,no pain no gain,death or glory >:D

priv

theRuler

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 10:21 AM »
put a helmet on for sure lol

i should have took my own advice tonight in bones.
straight over the bars on the mini ramp trying to air it lol.

that was the best slow motion bail i have seen in ages!!

phil's had the higher pain-factor though, ouch

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 10:24 AM »
that was the best slow motion bail i have seen in ages!!

lol i seemed to be steering with with my belly on the cross bar right across the bottom of the ramp.
i'd love to have seen it  ;D.
dave the bmxing gypo

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  PLUCKING UP THE COURAGE!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx