gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975609 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 18, 2024, 12:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Turning Anodised Rims into 'Shinesides' Anyone?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Turning Anodised Rims into 'Shinesides' Anyone?  (Read 725 times)

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Turning Anodised Rims into 'Shinesides' Anyone?
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:49 AM »
I gave up trying to find a set of Araya 7x Shinesides,so now i'm going to go down another route...

Has anyone attempted and made a decent job of removing the Anno from the sides of the rims of fully anodised?

If so whats involved to achieve a professional finish?

(and please no jokes about riding around with your front 'n rear brakes on for 20 years to get the desired effect..i havent got that much time!  ;D )

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Turning Anodised Rims into 'Shinesides' Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:19 PM »
Yep, I've done it and have a set for sale. :daumenhoch:

There's a lot of rubbing involved, various paper grades required, a polishing kit and patience.

I'd have to check my items to give a full overview.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

spesh

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:40 PM »
yeah ive done it it takes a while but if youve got a polishing kit its not so bad

customparts

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:14 PM »
we can help you on that one. we have done some motorcross wheels one set red, one set blue and another set in black. we can take all the hard work away from you but at a cost of coarse. we have a simple way to do it.  just give me a ring if ya interested on 07912963801. i dont envy these that try and polish anodising film off i know how much work they have to do especially if it hard anodised. here to help if need be

paul at C.C.A Ltd

spesh

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:35 PM »
if your careful you can "paint on" oven pride and that removes anodising really well

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:50 PM »
Where abouts are you?  My mate has a nifty set-up in his workshop that does it really well, I had these wheels from Banaramaman and got my mate to do the sides ....

They had a lot of brake score marks...

Now they look like this....

He uses some sort of flapwheel sander fixed so that the wheel spins and does all the work itself  :daumenhoch:

He's based in Uxbridge, Middx  :).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 06:02 PM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 07:46 AM »
we can help you on that one. we have done some motorcross wheels one set red, one set blue and another set in black. we can take all the hard work away from you but at a cost of coarse. we have a simple way to do it.  just give me a ring if ya interested on 07912963801. i dont envy these that try and polish anodising film off i know how much work they have to do especially if it hard anodised. here to help if need be

paul at C.C.A Ltd

is this the same guy that does the anodising ? if so are you still doing it ?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 07:56 AM »
yes he is pete

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Turning Anodised Rims into 'Shinesides' Anyone?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx