gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975645 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 01:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mons coverage #1
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mons coverage #1  (Read 1213 times)

SaMAlex

Mons coverage #1
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:28 PM »
Here are some scans from BMX Action bike, issue 30. This was the first time Mons Ramp was featured in the magazine. Neil Ruffell, Tony Mackenzie, Dave Curry and TLB came over and rode with some of the locals including Ian Oz, Darryl (who broke his back at epic at the radbmx event) and Mon, who still owns and runs SS20 in Oxford). I was riding there that day but had to leave before “the magazine” got there, to get my ride home. I was a little gutted!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: Mons coverage #1
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 02:48 PM »
Nice scans Alex - thanks for those mate!

Was Mon at the meeting last night?

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 03:14 PM »
He might have been, not sure. He is in the same position as me: been going to the OWP meeting for the last 15 years ... and now has young kids to take care of!

Ramp Rat

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Thanks for ths scans, I remember that day very well, Tony and I packed into TLB's Alfo Romeo picked up Bod and headed for the country. The barn had a lovely farm smell. Check out Tony's Vans and tires, we were caked in animal crap, the ramp was even covered in crap making it slippery. I think this was one of the first times riding a half pipe, what a trip, didn't know how to pump the ramp. We had rode Crystal Palace halp pipe but never gotten airs out. It was cool riding with skaters too. That day was totally sureal. I remember Mon and the locals being really cool and always loved their BullShit Zine. Great memeories...... :smitten:

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:37 PM »
ha ha, Bullshit Zine. Well remembered. That is my next scanning project, even tho it wont mean much to many people.

Ramp Rat

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:02 PM »
Alex, did we meet, I remember Stan and Ian and the bloke who wrote the Bullshie zine. We had lot's of Snake Bites down the local pub, so my memory is very faint. I do remember looking like I was 12 when I was 16 and so I could never get served at the bar, so I sat behind an old piano while the others fed me snake bites.

I have an old BS Zine, I always loved the "Passion Wagon" edition. Beak Dorkings. Very funny.  :2funny:

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Damon

Yer, we kinda met a few times. At Mons I was only 13 ish, and looked about 10. The older guys were Ian Vert Squert, Stan (aka Darryl who broke his back), James (who drew the cartoons in bulshit and went on to do the cartoons in RAD), Tim buffalo, Wurzel (when he BMXed, before he went on to big things skating), and Mon.

I also met you a few years later in Huntington Beach in 1991. I bumped into you a few times in the town. Chris Moeller knew you, and said you had both been at a party and upset the girl whos house it was cos Moeller had pissed in her hair dryer. He said he only did it cos it was making you laugh. I thought it was really strange cos Moeller didnt know you were a BMXer. I told him you were very well known in the UK. He said "really? I only know him as a guy who skates a little and always in the town wearing a green polo shirt"

Ramp Rat

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 09:50 PM »
Alex - wow, what a trip, don't remember that hair dryer party, sounded like a good night though. I don't remember much about living in HB we were all off our nuts.   :D

Great to hear those Banbury names again. Is Darryl ok after braking his back?

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:52 PM »
I havent spoken to Darryl for a while but I heard he was back at work a couple of weeks later. 'ard as nails!!

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 12:38 PM »
Bumped cos final scans on the way :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mons coverage #1

gfxgfx
gfx gfx