gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 10:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Three sisters ractetrack
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Three sisters ractetrack  (Read 8528 times)

mike pardon

Three sisters ractetrack
« on: October 19, 2005, 11:59 AM »
Thought i would let youse know, theres meetings happening at the moment to revive three sisters as a race track on the original site. It will be upgraded and bigger and better. Nothing finalised yet but there is much interest.
Three sisters hosted a round of the Kelloggs and was home to many national events.
it featured the infamous KING KONG jump.. will this be made bigger? Will Craig Burrows jacket be unearthed from the whoops on excavation of the site?
Will we find some old bmx racers buried in the rubble?
Will Craigs jacket be a museum piece?

Watch this space....

[attachment deleted by admin]

theRuler

Re: Three sisters ractetrack
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 12:02 PM »
i remember seeing "king kong" in abmx!

will the upgrade mean an even bigger king kong? a super kong?

there should be a king kong right at the bottom of the start hill. that'd sort the wheat from the chaff.

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 01:35 PM »
Is the dog for sale?

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 04:54 PM »
Cool. That was the one and only track that I visited back in the 80's. I actually managed to snap through the rim of an Acorn mag on the Kong....and somehow didn't pop the tube.

darkslider

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 05:11 PM »
Wow never got over that way when I was riding. Go there to watch rallying and supermoto. Where in relation to race circuit was BMX track. That is a cool dog I wanted one but couldn't spell its name so got dalmatian instead.

FORDY

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 05:25 PM »
it was a cool track, the doubles were pretty scary on the second straight too!
 :'(

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 06:50 PM »
Picture of king kong for you all:

theRuler

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 07:18 PM »
is that mike miranda?

or magnum PI ?

Jazzchimp

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 09:36 PM »
i remember seeing "king kong" in abmx!

will the upgrade mean an even bigger king kong? a super kong?

there should be a king kong right at the bottom of the start hill. that'd sort the wheat from the chaff.

Mike Miranda (wish it was Magnum PI) he's a pro golfer now (Miranda not magnum), anyhow how many king kongs do you need

darkslider

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 09:55 PM »
Yeah but where was track was it behind race circuit or to the right as you go through main gate by lake?  Whats a ractetrack it is a racetrack?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 09:56 PM by darkslider »

Stu uk Liverpool

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 11:25 PM »
ye mike

i did southport and wigan
it was easy bunkin on the trains

stu

mike pardon

Are you mad for it?
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 08:59 AM »
Those were the days eh? Bunking on trains and ending up in the heart of lovely rural Wigan :o
Its being discussed as we write but will probably end up as a tescos.
Thats my Weimararner (just about spelt it, named ROSSI)
All these council people you just mention the word Olympics and they get all horny.

If it gets done i reckon it should be the biggest track in the country, no shxx. with proper berms. What could you rename Kong? Bring it into the 2000s I reckon it should be the size of a small country.
anyway as i said i will keep you informed.   

mantadave

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 03:22 PM »
 :)brillant  news lets get it done spent half my life there and bring back the kellogs manta dave laws mate wing nut

sam hudson

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 09:17 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
That 's great news...that was my regular track.I REALLY hope that one comes back.i've posted these before so apologies to those who have seen them.

Werent those doubles...triples? or does my memory fail me on the 'Wigan Woops'(how do you spell woop?).

i would use that track,build it and they will come!!!

Whats the score then?Is it in the planning?  8)

mike pardon

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 04:14 PM »
;D ;D ;D
That 's great news...that was my regular track.I REALLY hope that one comes back.i've posted these before so apologies to those who have seen them.

Werent those doubles...triples? or does my memory fail me on the 'Wigan Woops'(how do you spell woop?).

i would use that track,build it and they will come!!!

Whats the score then?Is it in the planning?  8)

Okay mate, its in the being talked about phase but by all the right people. Iam pushing and Alan Woods (as busy as he is) is doing his bit.. Watch this space

sam hudson

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 07:01 PM »
 ;) Good luck,I'm biased but it was always THE track in the n west .

jonpaul11

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 10:44 PM »
I never visited Wigan, but have always been interested in the King Kong jump...

Does anyone have pics on the size of this jump and how does it compare with other tracks of the time? What were the biggest doubles of the 80's...

I always raced in the NE, and as far as I can remeber the biggest doubles I jumped were at Whickham (Dunston) that were built for the Kellogs...

I always loved the first doubles at Teeside Airport one of my fav tracks after visiting my first UKBMX National there, watching March and Ruffell go head to head in what i think was a superclass final - under flood light!

steveN

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 11:22 PM »
Yes those doubles at Teesside Airport were excellent. This was my home track along with Redcar racecourse where we had our own version of King Kong.

jonpaul11

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 11:31 PM »
I hated Redcar track - flat and boring... not my type of track...

I did always like to go there though - was always a great day out.

I checked Google Earth for this track now and it looked like not there... google earth seems to have forgotten about the North East as trying to find the old tracks the detail is just not there yet...

Is the Powder Monkey still around? A few years I was back and went over for a spy and it looked in good nic, with locals adding a few bits to a few jumps!

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 08:55 PM »
Wigan was a BMX Supercross track before Supercross had even been born!   It was awesome.  A lot of tracks now are just technical and dull.  You need some monster jumps to get some serious air time, and bust out some style.  Why rename King Kong?  It's part of UK BMX history.  Let the legend live!!  I raced there in 1986 I think, at a UKBMX national.  I came down with two coach loads from Scotland.  Loved that track.  Hopefully I might get to ride it again.  Good luck Mike, Alan and everyone else involved!!!

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 10:02 AM »
Just thought I'd add this to the thread, just come across it in an old magazine.

jon016847

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 10:19 AM »
good to see you back KUSAM, thanks for sharing, Now you got that scanner, you can shower us with pics from your bmx mag collection, lol !

Jon W

sam hudson

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 04:03 PM »
 :o Isnt,it mad...i raced that track SOOOO many times in the early 80's...i could swear the doubles on the second straight were triples.....i can see them in my (mad)minds eye. :-\.The wigan woops.There were car stickers that said'Ive jumped the Wigan Woops'...Hopefully we'll all be able to in the future.King Kong was awsome but it was the woops that made that place famous in my mind.(but then i cant remeber sh#t as i thought doubles were triples)  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Jon.  Thanks  :)

Sam, maybe the track changed at some point...maybe you do remember correctly after all...the car window stickers seems to ring a very distant bell.  Does anyone know if the track was altered at any stage?  Mind you, going crazy myself now...weren't whoops just doubles?
 ???

Having severe attack of memory loss at the moment.  :(

sam hudson

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2005, 10:19 PM »
 :o Ok,ive asked my Dad (who,bless him ,had to drive me every sunday to Wigan from the Wirral)...and he say's that they were triples...so we must BOTH be going mad.I would'nt have been so scared of jumping doubles...it took some nerve to get over those woops when your 5 ft !!!.  ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Three sisters ractetrack

gfxgfx
gfx gfx