gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 10:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Most iconic bike of the 80's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Most iconic bike of the 80's  (Read 11016 times)

gt0733

Re: Most iconic bike of the 80's
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2007, 12:58 AM »
id still give her one  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

me too. god invented paper bags for a reason you know  :2funny:

theRuler

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2007, 08:48 AM »
Burner will win obviously cos they were common as muck but a true great. :daumenhoch:

a true great?

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2007, 09:14 AM »
For me it HAS to be the Ripper (even non BMXers know the "PK Ripper") followed very closely by Haro freestyler (Gen1 obviously)
 :) DINGO :)

theRuler

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2007, 09:16 AM »
who gives a flying shite what non bmxers know?
they don't, that's for sure.

ripper is the one though!

can't believe this forum has voted the raleigh burner as the most iconic bike of the 80's.

fooking hell.

the burner was popular for like 1 year. 1 YEAR. the 80's were 10 YEARS LONG. where the fook were yer?

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2007, 09:23 AM »

who gives a flying shite what non bmxers know?
they don't, that's for sure.

ripper is the one though!

can't believe this forum has voted the raleigh burner as the most iconic bike of the 80's.

fooking hell.

the burner was popular for like 1 year. 1 YEAR. the 80's were 10 YEARS LONG. where the fook were yer?

It just enforces the fact its an icon!
I dont gice a fcuk about cars but know the name Porshe and Ferrari, same thing  :rant:

theRuler

« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2007, 09:32 AM »
you cannot compare the burner's 1 year of popularity to a porsche or a ferrari

most iconic bike of 1983 . . . maybe. at a push. to some.
but the 80's? come on

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Some iconic pics of the eighties  :LolLolLolLol:

Took em at me mums last night  :)  she has loads of em

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2007, 09:39 AM »
you cannot compare the burner's 1 year of popularity to a porsche or a ferrari

most iconic bike of 1983 . . . maybe. at a push. to some.
but the 80's? come on

I was talking about the Ripper, I hate Burners  :2gunsfiring_v1:  :2gunsfiring_v1:
(even though they were made here in Nottingham and I was at the launch at the factory)

theRuler

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2007, 09:46 AM »
lol i see

i don't hate burners. they were were only really around for a year or so. the people who were into bmx got on something better. the people that weren't just left them in the shed.
got to wonder if more people would have stuck with bmx if they had got something better to start with. not more expensive either. just a better designed bike. did more harm than good in my eyes. raleigh had the chance to make bmx huge in this country. and they blew it. big time. they were the household name, the name that the bike buying parents trusted, they had the years of bike building experience. they had the market cornered. the shops loaded with their stock.

they didn't just drop the ball. they rammed a rusty spike through it then shoved it in a bucket of acid.

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2007, 12:17 PM »
lol i see

i don't hate burners. they were were only really around for a year or so. the people who were into bmx got on something better. the people that weren't just left them in the shed.
got to wonder if more people would have stuck with bmx if they had got something better to start with. not more expensive either. just a better designed bike. did more harm than good in my eyes. raleigh had the chance to make bmx huge in this country. and they blew it. big time. they were the household name, the name that the bike buying parents trusted, they had the years of bike building experience. they had the market cornered. the shops loaded with their stock.

they didn't just drop the ball. they rammed a rusty spike through it then shoved it in a bucket of acid.

Ohh nasty

theRuler

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2007, 10:51 PM »
i like the burner restos i see on here
i have big respect for anyone that takes any bike and restores it to such mint condition. whether it be a burner, or a hutch. same deal

but to say a burner is the iconic bike of the 80s . . . waaaaah?
did you spend that decade hankering after a tuff (or TOUGH as it turns out) burner?

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2007, 08:31 AM »
burners may have only been about for a year round your end gra! and maybe in the shops for a year......

But i tell you man, up here they were around for a lot longer that that....my thigh muscles still bear the scars.....

they were the main bike on the estate that i lived on, i never saw a kuwahara, ripper, ta, even a goose.

they were groundbreaking in terms of the bikes that the local kids had, looked way better, and performed way better than all the choppers, grifters, cowhorn bikes that were there contemporaries.

i never got a new burner, but spent 5 years swapping, upgrading, and restoring my way up the burner heirachy, red mk1, gold tuff burner,   chrome burner etc....

I suppose it would be ok if your parents presented you with a nice new ripper on christmas morning, but mine would say "whats wrong with the one you got?"

the argument of "well the geometery is all over the place" would have got me a slap!

burners were icons for some of us.

i restored a mk1 recently, and took it to the skatepark, and there was no way on gods earth i would even consider riding over the lip of the ramp....it felt like it would snap as as soon as the wheel went over the coping.

but as a memory, of what got me into bmx, and got me into it again years later, unfortunately, has raleigh stamped all over it.
I want to touch ORB

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2007, 09:04 AM »
i had a GHP all top bollox on it and then snapped the frame, while it was gettin repaired i used a burner frame along with all my bits and it rode particulaly well, along with the GHP pro forks and tonne weight frame it actually felt invincable and served me well till the geezy was repaired. i nearly bought a caravan!!!!!!!! :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2007, 12:03 PM »
i never got a new burner, but spent 5 years swapping, upgrading, and restoring my way up the burner heirachy, red mk1, gold tuff burner,   chrome burner etc....

5 years of burner ownership?
you were on a burner in 1987?

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2007, 12:38 PM »
erm, yeah, i left school in 88, and i got the twip toptube mystery in the 5th year, just before i left.

give or take a year.

i hated the first ones i had though.

the red one came as a scratched up f+f and lacked any of the wild colours of the new burners.

by the time id traded up by swapping shit, it was a reasonably decent bike.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:41 PM by oberonspacefruit »
I want to touch ORB

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2007, 12:43 PM »
burners may have only been about for a year round your end gra! and maybe in the shops for a year......

But i tell you man, up here they were around for a lot longer that that....my thigh muscles still bear the scars.....

they were the main bike on the estate that i lived on, i never saw a kuwahara, ripper, ta, even a goose.

they were groundbreaking in terms of the bikes that the local kids had, looked way better, and performed way better than all the choppers, grifters, cowhorn bikes that were there contemporaries.

I suppose it would be ok if your parents presented you with a nice new ripper on christmas morning, but mine would say "whats wrong with the one you got?"

the argument of "well the geometery is all over the place" would have got me a slap!

burners were icons for some of us.

i restored a mk1 recently, and took it to the skatepark, and there was no way on gods earth i would even consider riding over the lip of the ramp....it felt like it would snap as as soon as the wheel went over the coping.

but as a memory, of what got me into bmx, and got me into it again years later, unfortunately, has raleigh stamped all over it.

Amen brother!  :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2007, 01:31 PM »
jesus.
where i lived, 100's of kids got burners in 83

by xmas 84 99% had stopped riding

those that continued all upgraded to better bikes
by "better" i am talking superfox, dp, rickman - that kind of better
not TA's though. there was the odd GT about. and maybe a haro or 2. oh and few gooses.

i ended up with most of them :)

in the gang i rode with in 85-87 it was dp's and fox's (there was a shop not too far away that had the MT range.)

oh i did ride with a kid who had a mk2 burner, but he never had a mk1 burner. started off on the mk2.
and another mate had an old DB silver streak.

another riding buddy of mine had a zapper, then a rickman

after 87 it was just me on my own really. i rode my fox until it bent/cracked, then a gen one haro. i rode with a skateboard gang on ghetto ramps.

we were kinda influenced by what we saw in action bike.

hence the alloy wheels. as that was what was in action bike, after 85.

i always wanted a burner before i had a bmx, as they were in the shops
but after riding a year, and reading the mags, no one wanted them. fook knows what happened to them all. there must be loads of them kicking around somewhere in stafford. in the late 80's they were literally worthless. the tuff's on them were fooked after a year's hard riding, and the bikes were too hoopty to use a base for anything worthwhile

the mk2 burner showed promise when they "went for it with chromo aero tubes" - we expected a raleigh TA. however they must have gone for it in the lead factory as the mk2's seemed even heavier than the mk1's.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2007, 01:47 PM »
i was stuck on my burner for 3.5 years or so. A mate put me out of my misery ny donating a F+F. The F+F was the only burner bits left on it by then.
ding dong

Frosty

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2007, 01:51 PM »
was the same in my neck of the woods, burners,choppers etc.

Of the high end bikes I can only recall some richo (local landlords boy - who moved down from Rom) he had a TA, that was it, everything else started as a burner, falcon pro or something else and gradual upgrades of components and the odd f+f (DP etc) to a much better stead, but had never seen a hutch or ripper etc in the flesh!!

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2007, 02:45 PM »
if you look at this thread from a different angle, then one of THE most iconic bikes of the eighties has got to be mr fiolas yellow gt, everyone can picture that bike in an instant im sure, i dont think anyones bike stood out as much as that initially did BITD.

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2007, 04:45 PM »
jesus.
where i lived, 100's of kids got burners in 83

by xmas 84 99% had stopped riding

those that continued all upgraded to better bikes
by "better" i am talking superfox, dp, rickman - that kind of better
not TA's though. there was the odd GT about. and maybe a haro or 2. oh and few gooses.

i ended up with most of them :)

in the gang i rode with in 85-87 it was dp's and fox's (there was a shop not too far away that had the MT range.)

oh i did ride with a kid who had a mk2 burner, but he never had a mk1 burner. started off on the mk2.
and another mate had an old DB silver streak.

another riding buddy of mine had a zapper, then a rickman

after 87 it was just me on my own really. i rode my fox until it bent/cracked, then a gen one haro. i rode with a skateboard gang on ghetto ramps.

we were kinda influenced by what we saw in action bike.

hence the alloy wheels. as that was what was in action bike, after 85.

i always wanted a burner before i had a bmx, as they were in the shops
but after riding a year, and reading the mags, no one wanted them. fook knows what happened to them all. there must be loads of them kicking around somewhere in stafford. in the late 80's they were literally worthless. the tuff's on them were fooked after a year's hard riding, and the bikes were too hoopty to use a base for anything worthwhile

the mk2 burner showed promise when they "went for it with chromo aero tubes" - we expected a raleigh TA. however they must have gone for it in the lead factory as the mk2's seemed even heavier than the mk1's.

Gra, I think you are getting wrapped up in a desirable bike. No one thinks a burner is desirable or good. They were shite and weighed the same as a small country, but we didn't know that back in the early days as there was nothing to compare it to, it was just an insight of things to come

But in 1982/83 when most people were riding beaten up grifters or racers with bars turned up or racers with cow horns. This little blue and yellow bike was something from another planet.

That is what makes it an icon cos it changed what kids wanted and put BMX on the map for a whole generation of kids.

theRuler

« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2007, 05:10 PM »
yeh iconic for 82/83

1 year

not the 80's!!!

i think i rode for too long.

did people who rode before the rise of the burner want one?

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2007, 05:14 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

It may have only been for a year or two, but it helped kickstart the BMX generation in this country. So it HAS to be an Icon for that reason alone.

I would have killed for one BITD, i only had a red and yellow MK1 burner.  :'(

I think you are just denying yourself your love of Tuffs!  ;D

theRuler

« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2007, 05:24 PM »
tuffs were the best thing about that bike.

the bikes i would have killed for were the smart ones in the mags
like the kuwis and the gooses

i remember wanting a burner, but that was because they were actually in the shops, and fairly affordable. but really all i wanted was just a "bmx". and i got one. a right POS from a garage or somewhere. but after 1 year of riding, wanting a burner was the last thing on my mind.

i see what you mean about iconic though. to the masses (who rode for like 10 minutes) the raleigh burner was bmx. on the other hand, to the masses, "streetdance" is probably an "iconic" hiphop track from the 80's. i guess i just can't see it from a layman's point of view.

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2007, 05:28 PM »

on the other hand, to the masses, "streetdance" is probably an "iconic" hiphop track from the 80's. i guess i just can't see it from a layman's point of view.

PMSL that kinda sums it up!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Most iconic bike of the 80's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx