gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 01:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  my standard rider
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: my standard rider  (Read 5141 times)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
my standard rider
« on: March 11, 2007, 06:51 PM »
standard sta 1" threaded 1994     10mm front and rear
stripped a few rides down today so added a few bits.this is my ride until my new school is built
just needs a good stem n different gyro  .not era correct but feels great.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: my standard rider
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 08:09 PM »
Bling bling Dan - nice one mate!  :daumenhoch:

Lazarou

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 08:11 PM »
Why do you need a 'new school' bike? The STA is one of the finest frames ever made! Everything you need from a bike you can get from the STA.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 08:12 PM »
itll do for now
i need some original pics soon ,so i can give it a proper  original setup. anyone got any pics please.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 08:16 PM »
Why do you need a 'new school' bike? The STA is one of the finest frames ever made! Everything you need from a bike you can get from the STA.
as i have never ridden it as a rider ,i didnt rearly look at it until now believe it or not
but you might have just put a fly in the ointment on my new build.so this frame set might be what im after but didnt no it.

Lazarou

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 08:37 PM »
Well it depends on what kind of riding you want to do, i rode an STA daily for 8 years and it was good for everything but especially good for trails and general jumping, it was good for mini ramps, brilliant for street and a good all-round rider, the only place i struggled with it was vert but Jamie Bestwick rode it and got 8ft out of it at Storm so i guess i just suck at vert! I even found it fantastic when i rode it at BMX tracks Derby, MK etc, Honestly it is a fantastic frame! I ran it with one brake and (most of the time) no pegs, Slam bars, profiles, Super Pros (later on i had Profile hubs) pretty much just a regular set up, as it's 1 inch though i'd look for a 1 inch clamp on system (i used a King until i went 1-1/8) S&M made a 1 inch system too, or you could go for a 1-1/8 frame, but you can't go far wrong with an STA. (It's better than all these Hoffmans that seem to be all the rage!  :10_2_12:) But seriously, it is!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 08:43 PM »
 :daumenhoch:  the build is on then.
i must say i am stuck on the stem thats why a junker is on it until someone finds me  a good one.
i have alot of standard frames but this seems a good length.
i will ride it as a general mini ramp setup  as i rode at parks like leigh on sea
got to get fit first .cheers dan.

rory

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 08:50 PM »
standards rule  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 09:02 PM »
I really liked the STA when it was first out. I wasnt that keen on the double top tubes of the first standards so the STA was great. I just still cant get on with the way the dropouts hang so far below the rear wheel slot. It makes the frame look like its drooping back, and like its got a really high BB. And it really gets in the way for grinds, esp on street (not a problem I guess if your not using pegs).

It is a shame its 1" cos EVERY shafted stem/fork will bend (unless you use a wedge jackson ... I wonder who thought of that? ha ha). 1" clamp on might be a way round it but they were usually quite heavy.

Nice bike tho, real clean looking.

darkersomeday

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 09:04 PM »
thats very lovely,
i really like it, i loved my old standard sta, its still about the most natural feeling bike i've ever owned,

i've got an old g-sport "1 clamp on stem here if its any good to you?

Lazarou

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Alex, I didn't know the Wedgie Jackson was your idea! It doesn't surprise me either!

Lazarou

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 09:08 PM »
.....and yes, my King fork/stem combo weighed a ton!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 09:09 PM »
wouldnt mind a look at the stem
as all of mine are poo that are 1" for this era bike
i have an early lengthy to but doesnt feel like this frame.

SaMAlex

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Alex, I didn't know the Wedgie Jackson was your idea! It doesn't surprise me either!

Yes, I think S&M forgot it was my idea quite quickly too! ha ha. It worked great but was a little too late and A-head blew it away. Ive still got the first one I made with a tapered hole for the cable that got bigger at the bottom. I was a bit disappointed when the S&M ones didnt have a cable hole in them at all, but it was cool that they were aluminium.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 09:15 PM »
does anyone no if these are the correct decals for my frame

these are ones that mark p has i believe

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 09:18 PM »
ditch the standard mate and use one of your big daddys as the only rider you need :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
only joking bud looks pretty fine to me  :daumenhoch:(use t and i'll take your hoffmans from you  :2funny:)

darkersomeday

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 09:19 PM »
here it is,
the forks are what it came on , "1 threaded early dragonfly's,
of a survivor i picked up for the g-sport wheels,
its a g-sport nimrod 8 bolt i remember right,

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 09:22 PM »
nice stem havent seen one of them in a while  .
if you decide to part company with it let me no   :daumenhoch:

Lazarou

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007, 09:25 PM »
That's a nice combo! Dan that's the beauty of 'mid-school' you don't need to worry about era-correct stickers! You can use any ones you like, Standard have re-designed them loads of times over the years and while the 'mark 1' stickers (on the left) are the originals (and my personal favourites) the other ones are nice as well and will suit the blue frame. Just go for the ones you prefer!

darkersomeday

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 09:31 PM »

SaMAlex

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 09:32 PM »
Cool forks. 990 mounts, good peg mounts, everything you could want! Nice. Could only be improved with a 1" redneck, ha ha.

Seriously, as the forks are 1" its easy to make a shim so you can use any 1 1/8 clamp on stem with them.

darkersomeday

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 09:34 PM »
nice stem havent seen one of them in a while  .
if you decide to part company with it let me no   :daumenhoch:

you're welcome to them both dude, 've no plans to use them and never really hord stuff, pm me,

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 09:37 PM »
great add proper find.

SaMAlex

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 09:49 PM »
great add proper find.

too right. There arent many 1" clamp on forks about, and most of them are hoffman super forks. If you did use the shim trick there are a few stems that would "look" right. Maybe an early standard clamp on stem (one of the first 1 1/8 BMX stems), or maybe use an early square edged redneck. Here's quite an early one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/S-M-Redneck-BMX-Stem-Red_W0QQitemZ170089745453QQihZ007QQcategoryZ56194QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 09:53 PM by S&MAlex »

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 09:52 PM »
alex while you are around ,question for you
im thinking of getting an s&m to stick with
my wanted bikes from back then  which one  thou.
i do have a set of 1" clamp hoffman super forks but no stem as the hole is small.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  my standard rider

gfxgfx
gfx gfx