gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975649 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 10:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stuck seat post
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: stuck seat post  (Read 717 times)

adiec72

stuck seat post
« on: March 10, 2007, 02:50 PM »
any smart ideas on how I can get my seatpost out without fooking the frame. Tried WD40 and gentle persuasion but to no avail..?

login_user

Re: stuck seat post
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 02:54 PM »
any smart ideas on how I can get my seatpost out without fooking the frame. Tried WD40 and gentle persuasion but to no avail..?

Heat it up with a blow torch. but do it gradually so you don't burn the chrome,a bit more care needs to be taken if its paint.  :daumenhoch:

scary_leary

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 04:18 PM »
Just stick your slack c0ck in the top.
Pap it up until hard..
Then get a friend too pull the frame..you should be left with a seatpost swinging between your legs!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 07:40 PM by scary_leary »

motomagII

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 07:07 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

stick the post in vice and use the frame as leverage to loosen it .of cut the post off at the seat tube and the hack saw blade inside the frame cut the post in 2 places then screwdriver in with hammer until the post collapses .done this few times takes lot time couple hours but seems to work .then sand paper in there to clean out the bits of rust etc

username

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 07:09 PM »
I had a stuck post, and the best advice I have is until it actually comes out, it seems it is going to be stuck forever - don't give up.

Mine eventually came free after days of not moving. I used tons of oil and bolted a old seatpost in the seat guts and after a lot of bashing got it to move a mm to the side (rotate). Then after more oil and bashing I got it to rotate a mm in the other direction.

It then took about another couple of hours or so of more oil, more bashing and only managing a degree or so extra rotation every now and then - still convinced it would never come out.

I guess that no matter how hard your forcing it, it needs a long time for the oil to seep down into the new gaps you create from the extra degree of rotation.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 07:17 PM »
whack it down first to loosen, then clamp in vice and twist off the frame.
ding dong

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 09:29 PM »
if it's a layback try and use a big pole over the top for extra leverage, i used one 3ft long to shift one, but use plenty of wd40.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 12:56 AM »
Plug the hole in the BB where the seat tube is (if it's got one - a hole that is  :D) and pour diesel into the tube and leave for a few days.  Drain and hit the seat post with a big hammer (to break the seal between the two materials) before putting the post into a large vice and turning the frame from side to side to free it up.

Marty  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 07:49 AM »
I hope it,s not an Alloy frame like a Ripper or Race inc or your fooked  :'( I tryed all the above :'(
Then gave mine to mi mate who,s an Engineer he had to painstakingly drill it out at work, he said " Never again " >:(
The Alloy and Chrome  had fused together like a weld after time  :shocked:
When fitting new seatposts I ALWAYS apply grease now  :daumenhoch:

adiec72

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 09:55 AM »
cheers all - am determined to shift the fooker today.

Thanks for the help.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stuck seat post

gfxgfx
gfx gfx