gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 07:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Early Christmas Present
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Early Christmas Present  (Read 11321 times)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Early Christmas Present
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2005, 09:30 PM »
Carlo,  Howard used to tell me how rad Joe Johnson was - ive never seen him ride apart from the start of aggroman i think - how good was he?

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2005, 09:37 PM »
Carlo,  Howard used to tell me how rad Joe Johnson was - ive never seen him ride apart from the start of aggroman i think - how good was he?

I was there when he invented the tailwhip air, Ice pick,toothpick,smith.. double peg grinds... so many things... It shocked me how he just stoped though.. i mean he did not ride after 90 not at all...he did double whips better than pretty much everyone in 89 than what people do now...

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2005, 09:40 PM »
Yeah.  its a double whip at the start of aggroman. smooth as. why did he give up?

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2005, 09:41 PM »
Interview head on . Carlo. Why don't you compete now? Is it just you're burnt out from competing for so many years, or is the travelling too much now you have family. Do you worry about being good enough or is it simply too many injuries? Last weekend Jamie and Simon came first and second in Vert at the Dew action sports tour in orlando. Don't you fancy a bit of that?
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

RADHAB

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2005, 12:16 AM »
CG I'll sort yer picture posting thing out for yer.......Some of the guys have seen this before but here it is again, i took this in 89' If you remember, i think it was the winter coz we all had thick  jumpers on! me you and JJ! I've got some more from those couple of years Carlo, i'll stick on a disc for yer. Guys this is halfway through a 540 by the way!

Steve

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2005, 12:20 AM »
'Own stuff'? What are you building?

Carlo makes Proper Bikes, and hubs too  ;)

Thanks for the interview as such Carlo, and thanks to everyone who was asking questions and being sensible about it too  ;)

I can remember Carlo from bitd, but I gave up before he hit the headlines as such so missed seeing him ride, but I recently got some back issues of Ride that Carlo was in and the pictures are amazing, unfortunatly later the same day before an interview could be done he had a bad accident that kept him off a bike for a while.

Thats why when he asked for a copy of the Radcity pic I was well chuffed, if anything I should be asking for a pic from you Carlo, thanks mate  :-[
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2005, 04:34 AM »
 I see you've been teaching your son tricks Carlo. He's already doing a no-hander!

Enjoyed the gossip about the Americans. I might try the sh*t in the microwave trick, See how long it takes my wife to guess what it is. Meanwhile here's another crazy Hugo photo.  You can see he was a bit of a devil with the ladies in his younger days. I can guess he was real smooth with the chat up lines..

photo from http://people.freenet.de/SKYWAY/SKYWAYindex.html
also see http://www.mauricemeyer.net/
Both very good Skyway websites.lods of old school photos

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2005, 07:30 AM »
quote-
I called jim ford up who owns haro and he sent me a new bike and said the bike looks like it has been run over with a bus...

He just resigned today..

OCTOBER 18, 2005 -- VISTA, CA (BRAIN)—After nearly twenty-four years of leadership in developing the Haro brand, Jim Ford resigned his position as president and chief executive officer of the company effective Oct. 28.

“This was probably the most difficult decision I have ever made. I’ve invested nearly half of my life into this company and I’m saying goodbye to a lot of people who I consider friends and family rather than employees, associates and customers,” Ford said.

theRuler

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2005, 08:39 AM »
seriously carlo, you should write a book. dig out all the photos you have and put them in.

and if you ever ask for a go on my bike, i will respectfully say no!!! ripping out the rear dropouts hanging up? sheeeesh!

if you dont have the time to write a book, record some stories to tape, post it to me and i will transcribe it to web pages.

what you have done, and seen, needs to be recorded in some way!!!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2005, 11:19 AM »

Ahhh, thanks Billy.

RADHAB

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2005, 01:29 PM »

Ahhh, thanks Billy.

Dave, thats what i ride mate!

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2005, 02:50 PM »
seriously carlo, you should write a book. dig out all the photos you have and put them in.

and if you ever ask for a go on my bike, i will respectfully say no!!! ripping out the rear dropouts hanging up? sheeeesh!

if you dont have the time to write a book, record some stories to tape, post it to me and i will transcribe it to web pages.

what you have done, and seen, needs to be recorded in some way!!!

I dont want to gossip but one of Haro bikes top riders will leave... Mirra bikes

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2005, 03:04 PM »
Interview head on . Carlo. Why don't you compete now? Is it just you're burnt out from competing for so many years, or is the travelling too much now you have family. Do you worry about being good enough or is it simply too many injuries? Last weekend Jamie and Simon came first and second in Vert at the Dew action sports tour in orlando. Don't you fancy a bit of that?

The reason i dont compete now... Looking back at it and the only reason i would comptete would be for the money... The enjoyment of competing is not there at the moment... Sometimes when i see some of the contests i think i could take them but the other side of me says i cant be bothered... This may sound strange...

My heroes have gone from this and i cant picture me riding the ramp with some of the other riders Humping there way around the ramp... Bestwick is the bset guy out there at the moment and ilike watching him to a certain degree... Kagy is good also...

Im not keen on a lot of the other vert riders.. im not saying they are bad but i would rather watch bestwick , Miron or Hoffman than the others...

Whats funny is i had a email from another very well know U.S bmx rider and they had been told about me writing on this site and they asked me to carry on...

Alot of people know i dont like doing interviews as people dont realy understand what is said or misunderstand abou things.....

I was talking to another rider about them competing the other day and they asked if i would ride with them.. Well maybe but i may ride another comp again but it will have to be the right one and it will have to be fun or i wont go....

theRuler

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2005, 04:01 PM »
can you make it to bones on the 29th (saturday) ?

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2005, 05:44 PM »
Carlo. Thanks for answering so candidly.  It's great to have you on here, and share your memories of the old days. 

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2005, 07:43 PM »
carlo said:-....''Whats funny is i had a email from another very well know U.S bmx rider and they had been told about me writing on this site and they asked me to carry on...''

carlo...whoever it is...get em to sign up..shameless plug. :) :)

Dave
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 07:52 PM by Rom Bloke »
haro, how do you do

andy irwin

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2005, 10:52 PM »
If i was you Carlo I would go and kick some vert ass while you still can . A  few riders out there would dread you entering pro vert and I think Bestwick would love the competition . It would be a shame if you never showed these people what you can do. I saw you ride back in the day and thought oh dear time for me to get the fu** out of this sport.

Anyway mate I for one will be backing you all the way so whatever you do good luck.

Andy

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2005, 07:20 AM »
can you make it to bones on the 29th (saturday) ?

Im sorry but i have some riders coming over from Portugal that weekend....

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2005, 07:21 AM »
Carlo. Thanks for answering so candidly.  It's great to have you on here, and share your memories of the old days. 

Thanks

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2005, 07:24 AM »
If i was you Carlo I would go and kick some vert ass while you still can . A  few riders out there would dread you entering pro vert and I think Bestwick would love the competition . It would be a shame if you never showed these people what you can do. I saw you ride back in the day and thought oh dear time for me to get the fu** out of this sport.

Anyway mate I for one will be backing you all the way so whatever you do good luck.

Andy

Thanks Andy...

fraz167

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2005, 12:31 PM »
Hey Carlo,

I just wanted to say thanks for your input, it has been superb hearing your stories about the early days.  I knew you weren't too keen on interviews, so it has been cool to see you talking so candidly.

I second and third that sentiments that it would be cool to see you in a few comps again, i appreciate that you have other priorities now, so i understand.   But as the tea lady says in father ted.....ahhh go on  ;D

I am sure Mr Stupple would flow you a radbmx tee to wear ;)

Thanks again Carlo,...you are a gent and its good to have you on board

Talk soon
Fraser

RADHAB

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2005, 05:19 PM »

Andy

Thanks Andy...

Told yer didnt I!!

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2005, 04:01 PM »
I've got it on tape and so has Carlo.........3 tricks later that bike is no more!!!!!

Habbishaw... Do you have this on tape cos i dont.... Send me one in the post please....

RADHAB

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2005, 12:28 AM »
I got my copy from you!! Yeah, i'll copy it for yer and send you a disc. Got loads of other stuff i'm waiting to have done as well you can have.

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2005, 11:52 AM »
I got my copy from you!! Yeah, i'll copy it for yer and send you a disc. Got loads of other stuff i'm waiting to have done as well you can have.

I'll supply a disk and pay postage if you don't mind burning one for me...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Early Christmas Present

gfxgfx
gfx gfx