gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 08:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BRIGHTON Track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BRIGHTON Track  (Read 1079 times)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
BRIGHTON Track
« on: March 06, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Anyone know about the history of this track? I live right near it , and have spoken to the council about getting it up and running again - but they seem uninteretsed - its a shame - wasnt it once an EBA centre of excellence?
How can we get it up and running again?

highrisedrifter

Re: BRIGHTON Track
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 01:40 PM »
Check this link out. I heard that the Council might be rebuilding this site. I found this link but i'm not sure how old it is.

http://www.whovejun.brighton-hove.sch.uk/index.cfm'request=c1164251#SubTitle4

Fiolas Lovechild

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:37 PM »
Hi there da generali do you remember the track at shoreham in the 80's Adur Aces home track . I raced there from 82-86 was a regional class track . its on Adur rec on the A259 by the railway track near the river.Any way its still there although its been turned into a dirt jump track the council havent really bothered with it for ages . ive been in contact with the council re restarting the club .Being the council they havent been that forth comming primarily because like all councils they think you want their money .However i believe with a bit of hard work time and private sponsorship it could work as a club /track again .I have intially got the ball rolling and have put a very loose preposal to the council.im looking for like minded people who would be prepared to get involved and help with this project .if you think you want to get involved drop us a note with your thoughts......?

wolfybmx

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:52 PM »
adur aces had quite a few meets there during the 80's.......... nice track as well

have some pics of racin from the track. if mr rusty's watching me and him both raced in cruiser class there many times. nice fast banked first corner if i remember.....

wasn't it situated next to the river

gregster

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 02:20 PM »
I moved to Hove last year and have been to check out the Shoreham track, not got to the Brighton one as of yet but heard it's in a mess. It would be great to have local track so if I can do anything to help give me a shout.

cheers,
greg

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 05:48 PM »
adur aces had quite a few meets there during the 80's.......... nice track as well

have some pics of racin from the track. if mr rusty's watching me and him both raced in cruiser class there many times. nice fast banked first corner if i remember.....

wasn't it situated next to the river

i raced there in the 80s too wolfy,i was right by the river,and close to the airport,every time i went there it seemed to rain >:(
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 06:58 PM »
the brighton ex 1996 world track was nice and rideable a few years back - with some nice big doubles, now motorcross bikes and minimotos have ripped it up.
Also its on land that travellers/gypos permantley have rights to, so i expect it will always be rough, most kids in brighton are scared of going there :(

the old adur track is in a nice area on a recreation ground, the track is completely overgrown, but some kids have built some trails similar to dartford heath, which i rode in the summer and were fun :)

what you need is the adur track restored, but add in a variety of trails jumps to keep the mountain bikers and bmxers not into racing happy as well, as i know dartford heath is packed in summer, more than most race tracks 8). I think this would get more nu skool riders into racing

its would be real nice to have some decent dirt to ride in brighton, if you need any help gimme a shout as well  :daumenhoch:

jonpaul11

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 10:07 PM »
this is a great pic of the track taken from http://www.bmxtrackbuilding.co.uk/:

Last time I was down there the surface was shot (1999 ish) - and it's really not in the best of areas...

AJWD

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 01:28 PM »
I live on Hanover Street at the bottom of Elm Grove, and would be happy to support any bids to getting it rebuilt - the travellers have been moved on so it's not so scary now!

Cheers,
Adey.

rukus

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 10:13 PM »
hi... i'm the man from the REBUILD BATH TRACK. talk to the council,if the land is theres,you need them on your side, parks,open spaces,sports and liesure also the youth department and police!!!!. you need help with indenifying what grants you can apply for? the council may have some money,but [if it is anything like bath council/banes], it would be limited and need applying for!

i had/have  real good  council people. youth,open spaces/parks and the sport/leisure. it is not easy,took me 18 months to make them listen and take me seriously,work all the angles of benefits, to the community, local shops, school activity, youth clubs,olympic sport, local university,mtb club,............. think of committee members, you will need this for funding applictions, they like to see you are organised as a group working for a common goal, and for bank account.

a website set up as a hub for the project, people can leave comments and their details for contact. make signs to advertise the website,talk to the riders, the bike shops, it is ok having a web site for a local project, but you need to let people know you exsist, take the signs to the race meets, photo copy flyers, use e bay, get it on here,talk to local paper and radio. i done all this and more. and we are getting there............3 years on >>>>>www.bath.madnutter.com>  good luck.steve. :angrysoapbox: x

highrisedrifter

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 01:18 AM »
I recently bought a house in Shoreham that me and the mrs are doing up. Would be nice to get out to the Adur Rec track once my bike is built. Just to get away from all the sodding decorating!  :-\

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BRIGHTON Track

gfxgfx
gfx gfx