gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Profile crank installation
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Profile crank installation  (Read 720 times)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Profile crank installation
« on: February 28, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Ive got some profile arms(taa Rhys  :daumenhoch:) at the chromers and thinking ahead to fitting in a week or so, only I've never done it before, so any tips? or a step by step link? , the bit that concerns me most is the sealed bearings into cup procedure, do you just twat em in or do you buy them a nice meal and play some bacarach :smitten:. as always all help very welcome :daumenhoch: Oh they have the hop up doofer also ;)
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Profile crank installation
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 07:41 PM »
tap cups in with a nice size socket 32 mm i use then use same to tap one bearing in
fit inner sleeve then other bearing ,aking sure sleeve is straight
slide axle in put hop up kit on axle thin chain side
add the washers to left side then arms and do up flush allen bolts lol

motomagII

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 08:47 PM »
sounds easy that rhys .
lol
took me 20 mins to get the sodding bb cups in then the bearing races wouldnt go in they were mega tight .hammer and wood took right beating.then on and off tryuing to sodding line em up with the freewheel .i hate fitting cranks they are my bike bogey.lol
then again fitted tohers that just fell together ??

Andy

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 08:53 PM »
if its for an old school bike deffo wine and dine, if its new school bash the feckin shite out of em, really fook em up it will also give you added kudos and the kids will think your down lol

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:00 PM »
good to see you posting andy hows thins going

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 09:02 PM »
if its for an old school bike deffo wine and dine, if its new school bash the feckin shite out of em, really fook em up it will also give you added kudos and the kids will think your down lol

Translated that means "take em round to DINGO's, leave for a day and come back to a perfectly working bike"  :LolLolLolLol:

:) DINGO :)

Andy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 09:17 PM »
good to see you posting andy hows thins going

Hi greg things are always cool and the gang with me, I dont post much these days but always have a look in from time to time,

dingo, lol at your post

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 09:18 PM »
I got a pdf format copy of a profile installation manual here if anyone wants a copy of it.

pm me with an email address and i'll send it your way.

:daumenhoch:

Brian.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 09:31 PM »
Firstly, if the bearings are out of the cups, pop the seals off with a Stanley blade or scapel but dont damage them, pack the bearings with good grease (Profile bearings come with virtually no grease  :uglystupid2: ) and refit seals

then use a vice to squeeze the bearings in to the cups (use soft jaws or wood/cardboard to protect the soft alloy cups.

Next measure the BB against the frame (both cups with the spacer tube in between so there is a 2mm gap between frame and cups, may need to use one or two of the small spacer washers too)

then knock one cup in with a wooden/rubber mallet, insert axle partially i and put spacer tube on axle, then put any of the small washers needed on the axle then the loose cup, knock it in gently untill firmly home, knock axle through untill its even in the bb,

THEN get the thinnest washer you can on the drive side that will allow the crancks to run smooth without the sprocket bolt or chainring rubbing on the BB cup FORGET the spacer supplied your chain line will be crap
then put the nice machined spacer on the non drive side,

check that when the arms are on that the axle will sit a few mm inboard of the end of the crank arms, put thin oil on the axle/spindle, put the arms on and tighten up, cranks will be tight, run smooth and wont go creaky,rusty for a while because they are all lubed up nice  :LolLolLolLol:

Hope this helps/makes sense???
 :) DINGO :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Profile crank installation

gfxgfx
gfx gfx