gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  QUADANGLE CRUISER???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: QUADANGLE CRUISER???  (Read 5700 times)

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
QUADANGLE CRUISER???
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:45 AM »
does anyone know much about them?
ive only seen a few pics on bmxmuseum.com
when were they produced? were they a prototype or
were they a full run?
and most importantly

ANY FOR SALE ANYWHERE!!!!!!!! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

QuadPaul

Re: QUADANGLE CRUISER???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Hi Fella, SE Racing never actual made a quadangle cruiser. As you say there are a few about, these where made by other companies as limited runs. Think there have 2 different companies/version (1 of which is called the Quadzilla)

Stunning looks bikes though regardless off who made them. Probaly best to Contact Dingo from here as he had 1 before it went to Mark 'SID' Sailsbury

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 11:23 AM »
Be very careful buying one of these!

Supercross - made a few of these - They are great - but I believe (not sure?) that on some models the geometry of the bb height was badly designed and you will have to use shorter cranks than you might want to.

There is also US seller that makes these and as beautiful as they are, you are likely to lose your money - his name is jesse vargus. (last time I noticed he went by the name gostgun, but has several different names on ebay - you are 95% likely to lose all your money to this man!

If your looking to buy one - check first with people here and in the US that you are buying from a reputable seller.

Losing $500 + dollars isn't funny, but the frames do look great!

Dingo should be able to tell you more about the geometry and ride of these, as he used to own one and swears by them!

Good luck

Frosty

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Check out the Jonny Chopper Oddangle version. This guy gets a lot of stick on vbmx and os becuase he has made copy parts and not marked them up as such in the past etc, but with a bike that was never built by SE then there can be no confusion.

Sure looks sweet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-School-BMX-Johnny-Chopper-Oddangle-26-Frame-Fork_W0QQitemZ120090508843QQihZ002QQcategoryZ22677QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 02:25 PM »
I do like Johnny's Odd-angle, they're sweet looking bikes and if I hadn't just comitted to 2 reasonably big purchases, I'd snap one up.

A lot of grief could have been saved by just stamping the bars and forks somewhere though - easy  ???

QuadPaul

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 02:29 PM »
I've bought tyres from Johnny Chopper in the past and he was good as gold to deal with.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 02:57 PM »
A lot of grief could have been saved by just stamping the bars and forks somewhere though - easy

they are phil  ;).
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 03:03 PM »
I thought he didn't stamp the Skyway bars because thy were made from a different material? ???

Also thought he didn't stamp the bottema forks?  ???

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 03:04 PM »
the bars are stamped right on the ends.
i got a couple of sets off him.
the forks are on the steerer tube i think.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 03:14 PM »
Don't know what all the fuss was about then if he's stamped them? Or did the ho-ha make him stamp them?

Anyway, glad to hear they're stamped.

And just to add, I have dealt with him - a long time ago and a couple of deals. I thought he was a great guy to deal with then  :daumenhoch:

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 07:19 PM »
phil i think all the aggro is because he has stamped them in unoticable locations...ends of bars and steerer tubes etc, so in effect so unknowing customer could buy a built up bike and not know theyve bought a copy.....shame cos it looks quality stuff.....

i believe being an aussie that coastal knows this johnny chopper dude

Dave
haro, how do you do

LXIX

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 07:33 PM »
That johhny choper dude aint talented as fabricator if he was he would design his own stuff and not copy cat,as a matter of fact when  OM scott needed money for you know what he put the blue prints on ebay ,johnny and his convict buds bought them and copied the quad to a T, this is wrong cause people are getting cought out buy them ,NOT ON ,the same with the bottema forks shit,soft parts ,pads etc,decals but this stuff NO >:(
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:35 PM by LXIX »

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 07:50 PM »
mark....im with you on the soft goods, and decals etc, and not hardware thing...but in all reality, what is the difference....its all fake

Dave
haro, how do you do

LXIX

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 07:52 PM »
Dave you have a point it is all fake ,but atleast the usualy go on a real bike

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Unfortunately, you can't stop people from making this stuff - as much as you (and me) disagree with it.

At least he is stamping them and he's telling people where they're stamped - what more can you ask?  ???

I don't think people can be getting caught out by the odd-angle, but maybe the skyway bars and the bottemas. I think JC must have been 'bullied' into stamping the Skyway bars, because I'm sure initially, they weren't stamped :-\

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 08:04 PM »
Unfortunately, you can't stop people from making this stuff - as much as you (and me) disagree with it.

At least he is stamping them and he's telling people where they're stamped - what more can you ask?  ???

I don't think people can be getting caught out by the odd-angle, but maybe the skyway bars and the bottemas. I think JC must have been 'bullied' into stamping the Skyway bars, because I'm sure initially, they weren't stamped :-\

Moose, you are right he can't win whatever he does.  If my memory serves me right, he originally only made the bars for himself and a couple of mates and then he started to get heaps of enquiries so started making them to order.  Maybe he was "bullied" into stamping them and maybe not ( I think he was caught out by the demand and just didn't think about that side of it), but at least he has done the right thing and started to stamp them which is more than what WIN and others did/do with their CW type bars and people are still getting caught out by those all these years later  ;) .  Also, he doesn't advertise them as originals, he states they are copies and he also makes the forks to fit new school rides, how cool is that then to give your new school ride the old school look?

JC was also a former Factory Skyway rider and a pretty rad one too from what I have read  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:18 PM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 08:07 PM »
there are several types of Quad cruiser:-
Supercross made "Quadzilla" (I am actually responsible for that name, how cool?  8) ) also known as "Quad Flyer".
Made by Bill at Supercross to the same dimensions and geometry as the OM Flyer, I owned one, it came through damaged which sort of jaded it for me and I sold it soon after

also made by Supercross are the "Skunk Quads" which were 24" versions but had problems with back brake/drop out positions and also the BB was too low and you could rest the the bike on the pedals without tipping it over too much so are no good for racing as the pedals catch in berms.
Supercross again did a 24/26 hybrid which I dont know so much about.
lastly there is VRP, Jesse Vargas run company which makes 2 versions, "Big Tube" which is essentially a 24" late 90's Alloy Quad and a "twin tube" which is a hybrid design, amazing bikes, one of the best I have owned but just too big for me to race with 22"+ top tube

fabricated by Sal who did the work for SE in the late 90's and therefore the closest you will get to a "real" SE 24" Quad,he also made 26" ones and 26" Flovals

Johnny Chopper makes 24" Quads in cro mo to the same geometry as late 90's Flovals and 26" ones to the same geo as OM flyers, you can choose between 1" threaded headtubes and caliper brakes or 1&1/8th with v brake mounts,
Hope this clears things up a little?

:) DINGO :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 09:14 PM by dingobmxer »

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 08:08 PM »
ahhh.

i wouldnt care.

the way things are going, you get 20 seconds of recognition for yet another build.

is that really worth the 2000 pounds that you spend?

very few people scrutinise the parts that matter i have found, and have been dissapointed when whoever didnt spot whatever.

id pay reasonable bucks for a copy of the part that was indistiguishable from the original.
I want to touch ORB

DR VINOAH

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 08:23 PM »
i got no qualms with johnnys work

infact i still want some bottema,s

and dont give 2 fux ,if they are vintage or not

rock on johhny :coolsmiley:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 08:29 PM »
I have some GENIUNE Bottema rub ons here  :coolsmiley:
I fancy some JC Bottema's too if anyone wants to share postage costs??

DR VINOAH

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 08:39 PM »
well im up for it :daumenhoch:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 08:41 PM »
cool,
we can have a chat on Sunday then

DR VINOAH

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 08:46 PM »
ace :daumenhoch:

Frosty

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 09:15 PM »
I agree good luck to him with his work. He's treated a bit like Biagio over the pond and that it seems the guys can't do good no matter what they do. Biagio spent a fair few quid going to the trouble of reproducing the 400 series spindles, bearings and equally rare lock nuts etc, if the originals didn't break as often as they apparantly did then there would be no need for the repro's!

I for one am glad he made them and afterall when a spindle is fitted there ain't much showing

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 09:30 PM »
wasnt the skyway bars made from stainless too which would distinguish them from the originals anyway....

Dave
haro, how do you do

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  QUADANGLE CRUISER???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx