gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 26, 2024, 11:41 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Looking for some sound advice....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Looking for some sound advice....  (Read 1715 times)

southend_styler

Looking for some sound advice....
« on: November 26, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Right, bit of history first, i've never really ridden street or parks on bmx before (i was always a skateboarder). My bmx was just my way of getting to and from the places i was going. But now my boss (bmxbert on here), who has experience, has offered to let me tag along with him over the park next summer when he starts riding again and try and show me a few things.

Now all i need is a bike suitable to serve the purpose, i reckon i'm gonna go for an old school bmx instead of a new school one. Can anyone suggest a nice, strong bike for riding a concrete park??

If anyones interested, this is the park we'll be riding:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXBrCYISvI

Some of you may have ridden the park that used to be here. It was Rampage in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, but when it got burnt down, they rebuilt a new concrete park in its place.

Cheers in advance, and excuse my ignorance  :-[

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
Re: Looking for some sound advice....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:10 PM »
Get a good mid school of the bay, Bigdog just got a nice Bully for peanuts. Good all rounder, or see Dave (Stodgy) see if they have any bikes coming up for end of year deals  :daumenhoch:

Old school is expensive for killing on a park, for less you can get better  :daumenhoch:

southend_styler

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:16 PM »
Sounds like a good bit of advice, Cheers  :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:02 PM »
Come and ride Rom instead,  you'll have a lot more fun  :)

As for a bike, set yourself a budget and we'll find you a bike to ride   :daumenhoch:

southend_styler

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:05 PM »
I don't get time to come all the way to rom, only get sundays off, and don't drive, so this will be a strictly evening jobby!!

See this is the problem, i've got no starting point as regards to budget (or anything else for that matter), as i've got no idea what sort of figure will get me something worth riding???

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:13 PM »
Ok, no worries.

During the summer Rom holds a Sunday evening session, if you're able to blag a lift. It's worth it.  That new Leigh park is a bit crap.

As for your budget, for something that will carry a fully grown bloke around a park, a minimum of £150 will get you an ok secondhand starter bike that won't fall to bits on you.  If you fall in love with riding, then you can upgrade a bit at a time and you'll end up on your dream bike by the following summer  :)

Come to think of it, I've got summat in my garage that might suit you.

If you've got a few more quid to your name, then get in touch with Stodgy on here and he'll sell you a brand new starter bike for a good price with free postage more than likely.   :)

southend_styler

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:17 PM »
Around the £150 mark is sort of what i was expecting. Gonna be a while yet though, in the middle of two builds which are taking up my time and money at the moment. Well i'm taking my driving lessons at the moment, so all things going well, i may be driving by next summer :)

Just out of interest what you got hiding in your garage??  ;)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 11:23 PM »
It's the remains of a Haro Mirra 540 from the mid/late 90s.  Used to belong to a member here, then to a friend of mine and I've taken it back in a px of sorts.

It needs some bits and pieces in order to make it into a complete bike again, but when it's done it'll be shiny chrome again and mechanically fettled.

And it'll be less than £150 for sure   ;)

southend_styler

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Hmm. Well when it is up for grabs let me know!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 11:37 PM »
Rob, you had to out do me didnt ya  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 11:47 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

You said it all bud,  in half the time it took me!

Only thing is, I'm crap on Ebay, I never seem to get a bargain.  So I don't ever really suggest it.  I guess the proper bargains are there to be had though.

lloydieboy

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 12:29 AM »
Hi ya,

Don;t go to Leigh, really quite poo!

Canvey has a really cool park behind Waterside Farm sports centre. I'm gonna start getting back into proper riding next year so if you and ya mate fancy tag along.

Old school bikes are just too expensive to trash these days. If you really wanna go old school get an Aero Reflex. Good strong Cro mo frame and very reasonable on the price. Or a Skyway Streetbeat... Neil Ruffell/Craig Campbell  used to ride 'em so they must be good! Getting a little more expensive these days but are still reasonable compared to some others out there...

Have fun.

LP

Right, bit of history first, i've never really ridden street or parks on bmx before (i was always a skateboarder). My bmx was just my way of getting to and from the places i was going. But now my boss (bmxbert on here), who has experience, has offered to let me tag along with him over the park next summer when he starts riding again and try and show me a few things.

Now all i need is a bike suitable to serve the purpose, i reckon i'm gonna go for an old school bmx instead of a new school one. Can anyone suggest a nice, strong bike for riding a concrete park??

If anyones interested, this is the park we'll be riding:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXBrCYISvI

Some of you may have ridden the park that used to be here. It was Rampage in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, but when it got burnt down, they rebuilt a new concrete park in its place.

Cheers in advance, and excuse my ignorance  :-[

southend_styler

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice matey. Managed to pick up a heap up a cheap Powerlite Havoc so planning to ride that now. I'm also in the middle of a Streetbeat build, so who knows, might end up riding that at some point as well.  ;)

I know waterside quite well, used to skate it quite a bit. I'll let you know when we're planning on going for a ride, the more the merrier  :daumenhoch:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 10:03 AM »
i have a nice T1 frame going cheap .or trade for a tattoo lol
ya wont bust that think its an 05 or 06 model

southend_styler

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 10:16 AM »

I'm always up for a bit of trade!! What you after?  ;)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 10:51 AM »
that leigh park looks poo   :-[  such ashame    might drop in oneday for some reason
nostalgia i guess .the sole has been concreted over and looks to open...

southend_styler

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 10:58 AM »
that leigh park looks poo   :-[  such ashame    might drop in oneday for some reason
nostalgia i guess .the sole has been concreted over and looks to open...

I know what you mean, but it is very convenient for me. Not a lot else round my way, especially when, like me, you can't drive!  :'(

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 10:59 AM »

dunno ive be meaning to pop down ya shop and see bert .when im next in southend i will pop in a show ya the frame
and have a chat .was there yesterday but was rather hung over at work lol

southend_styler

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 11:02 AM »

dunno ive be meaning to pop down ya shop and see bert .when im next in southend i will pop in a show ya the frame
and have a chat .was there yesterday but was rather hung over at work lol

Yea cool mate, are you local then?

Guillotte

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 06:40 AM »
Organize a jam, bring some thugs and tax a sweet bike. no wait, sorry...having flashbacks of how I lost several rides. Damn you British and your ingenuity with bladed weapons!

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 07:44 AM »
work wise yeah im in and around southend but live near rom in dagenham

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Looking for some sound advice....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx