gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 11:55 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  My first "Race" bike?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My first "Race" bike?  (Read 3189 times)

SaMAlex

Re: My first "Race" bike?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Thats funny that we might have met. Phil Chapman! Thats the bloke. Some of those other names ring bells but I was very young. It was mainly Worzel, Phil and Foxy I knew but only cos I was mates with Ian Oz. My crowd from Oxford also included Graham "Spud". Spud, Ian Oz and me came over a few times and rode all over MK. Those "pipeline" concrete minis on the side of the res, all kinds of cool banked spots.

Sly fox! nice one. Jeremy had all kinds of things on the go. Pro Keds! He really did well with deathbox and flip. I bumped into him in a bar in LA a few years ago. He was still moaning! At one of the Mons comps I got second and won a race shirt and pants. The 3rd place prize was a sly fox seat clamp which I would much rather have had! Ian Oz has still got an orange one with black spots.

I'll mention you to Ian Oz, what would he have known you as, or what bike did you ride?

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 09:02 PM »
The Agora Centre was an indoor Rollerskating rink , we raced there ( me , miles etc ) as well . Wooden jumps & whitewalls with loads of hairspray ! .

There were shops around the skating rink also , here's an old pic in the BMX shop in the Agora ( Steven Lees Racing ) when Ron Wilkerson & Brian Blyther came along & did a demo on the rink .

L to R = Jeremy Fox ( Sly Fox/Deathbox/Flip ) holding a seatclamp ( shameless plug lol ) , Wilkerson then Blyther .

I did have other pics of W&B but can't find them now ! .

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Thats funny that we might have met. Phil Chapman! Thats the bloke. Some of those other names ring bells but I was very young. It was mainly Worzel, Phil and Foxy I knew but only cos I was mates with Ian Oz. My crowd from Oxford also included Graham "Spud". Spud, Ian Oz and me came over a few times and rode all over MK. Those "pipeline" concrete minis on the side of the res, all kinds of cool banked spots.

Sly fox! nice one. Jeremy had all kinds of things on the go. Pro Keds! He really did well with deathbox and flip. I bumped into him in a bar in LA a few years ago. He was still moaning! At one of the Mons comps I got second and won a race shirt and pants. The 3rd place prize was a sly fox seat clamp which I would much rather have had! Ian Oz has still got an orange one with black spots.

I'll mention you to Ian Oz, what would he have known you as, or what bike did you ride?

I'm Matt Wickham , tell Ian I'll buy the seatclamp ! lol .

Pro Keds  :wtf: , I remember those  :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 09:08 PM »
That pic of Wilkerson and Blyther is great! Didnt Wilkerson use that seatclamp for quite a while? I think there was as sequence in BMXA of him doing a frame whip combo with it on his bike. Look how thin Foxy Looks!!!!

I dont remember that shop, although some of it is coming back. The freestyle comp I rode in was sponsored by a radio show I think. I'll dig out the trophy cos it says something like that on it

Ian wont sell his seatclamp. He wont sell anything!!! He still has the Hutch jnr and the PK that he used to ride! He isnt into collecting, he'd just rather keep the parts he still has.

Flying_fox

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Matt you had all the best coeys then!

What i'd give for one of those seat clamps now, but at the time I was rocking the sigino, lol.....

stephen

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Hey matt isnt that steve driver in the cw kit on the edge of the picture,steve lees racing was the shop wasnt it,taffy used to work up there on a saturday i think.
Im not sure weather hair laquer on the tyres used to work at the agora !!!!!!!!!

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2007, 09:25 PM »
That pic of Wilkerson and Blyther is great! Didnt Wilkerson use that seatclamp for quite a while? I think there was as sequence in BMXA of him doing a frame whip combo with it on his bike. Look how thin Foxy Looks!!!!

I dont remember that shop, although some of it is coming back. The freestyle comp I rode in was sponsored by a radio show I think. I'll dig out the trophy cos it says something like that on it

Ian wont sell his seatclamp. He wont sell anything!!! He still has the Hutch jnr and the PK that he used to ride! He isnt into collecting, he'd just rather keep the parts he still has.

Yes , Ron was gven one & used it . I emailed him about 12 months ago to wish him Happy Birthday & reminded him of the clamp & sent him that pic . He mailed back & was pretty stoked with the pic and remembered the clamp ! .

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Hey matt isnt that steve driver in the cw kit on the edge of the picture,steve lees racing was the shop wasnt it,taffy used to work up there on a saturday i think.
Im not sure weather hair laquer on the tyres used to work at the agora !!!!!!!!!

Hi Steve , Yeah that's Taffy  :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2007, 09:30 PM »
Taffy? From MK? did he used to race for Burner?

Do you know Ron? I met him a few times but I dont know him. Do you know Geoff Cain who used to work for Ron? He lives here in Oxford now

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Taffy? From MK? did he used to race for Burner?

Do you know Ron? I met him a few times but I dont know him. Do you know Geoff Cain who used to work for Ron? He lives here in Oxford now

No I did'nt know Ron , it was posted on here about his birthday with email address to write to him & wish him Happy Birthday ! lol by Drob ( Maurice Meyer ? !! ) . He said if you wish him Happy B day he'll send you a free Tee  :LolLolLolLol:

Here's the reply to my email , I've just spent about 20 mins looking for it !  :LolLolLolLol:

Reply dated - 27th January 2006 .

Hey matt, thanx for the note and foto! I think I HAD one of those seat
clamps as my 'lucky clamp' for awhile, until I'z shooting for the haro
vid, and lost my bike in the san diego bay(bob said I didn't need to put
a bouy on my bike...)and thanx for the bday wishes. I'm 40 and the shit
starts NOW!
And just remember, you're only old when you got more memories than
dreams.
ronw.
2Hip Bikes

What a fookin' cool guy  :4_17_5:

SaMAlex

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2007, 09:54 PM »
Im not sure Geoff Cain would agree with you, ha ha. Well who does like their boss?

Thats a nice reply, and its sad he lost his seat clamp

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2007, 10:05 PM »
Yeah , no more clamp  ::) :LolLolLolLol:

He sounds majorly chilled out & on Joe Kid seems chilled .

My brother when he was here at Xmas got 3 back issues of Ride ( one 96 & two 98 ) and you and Ian Oz are i one from a Jam in Oxford I think . There's a pic of you gettin' big air over a jump box & Oz getting a caption about old school airing ( with pic ) .

COOL  :4_17_5:

SaMAlex

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2007, 10:38 PM »
I know the one, Ian Morris came to ride too. top man, cos it was just a small local jam. I was only talking to Tim Ruck about those pics today (he took them). Funny cos there was a council meeting yesterday about building a propper skatepark on that very site. we find out the result in march

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2007, 11:33 PM »
I know the one, Ian Morris came to ride too. top man, cos it was just a small local jam. I was only talking to Tim Ruck about those pics today (he took them). Funny cos there was a council meeting yesterday about building a propper skatepark on that very site. we find out the result in march

Cool news about the park  :daumenhoch:

There's a half pipe in Oxford is'nt there ? .

I went to Sean Goff's half pipe once under the A34 in the early 80's , got smashed up I heard  ::)

SaMAlex

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2007, 11:39 PM »
There is a great mini spine, midi with wallride and vert ramp in Oxford but its all wood, outside and in a bit of a mess now.

Seans ramp was a long time ago! It didnt get smashe up ... it got stolen!!! someone took the 6 sections of transition, carried them over the field and canal to the side of the A40 and made a few trips in a van to take them. We went to ride it mid theft and thought it was sean who was taking it.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2007, 11:53 PM »
There is a great mini spine, midi with wallride and vert ramp in Oxford but its all wood, outside and in a bit of a mess now.

Seans ramp was a long time ago! It didnt get smashe up ... it got stolen!!! someone took the 6 sections of transition, carried them over the field and canal to the side of the A40 and made a few trips in a van to take them. We went to ride it mid theft and thought it was sean who was taking it.

Oh fook ! , I think maybe he said it'd been vandalised a few times then .

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  My first "Race" bike?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx