gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 05:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  New Skatepark for Dartford......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Skatepark for Dartford......  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
New Skatepark for Dartford......
« on: July 22, 2005, 06:43 PM »
According to a local paper the council has agreed to put an outdoor park in inside the running track in central park. it is reported that it will be the size of 3 tennis courts.

j...

Re: New Skatepark for Dartford......
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 09:12 PM »
woah if thet happens then..... f**K yeah. nice n local, and by the sounds of it , it will be good. 8) :) 8) :)

alexbmkxer

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 11:23 AM »
yer alright is it gonna be gd. its dartford council remember but it will be better than nufin atall

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 10:18 PM »
Someone told me there going to be building a Skatepart in Ashted Surrey, not far from me & Stuntmaster.
Anyone know anymore about this ?

Chris

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 10:38 PM »
A word of advice from someone who knows about these things.......ME!!!

If you hear a rumour or read an article - get involved right away.  Find out if there's a rider/skater commitee and if there isn't then form one.  Contact as many different departments within the council as you think might be interested, like Parks, Sports, Youth etc, you'll be surprised, they all have their own budgets to spend and don't always talk to each other, you could double or triple the money available almost overnight...

Get the Old Bill involved. They love a youth project. Anything to get kids off street corners. Containment is the buzzword.

Do not, under any circumstances allow the council to use anyone other than a park/ramp builder whose product you personally know build your park. You will live to regret it. Fortunately for us, there are a few decent builders out there these days. Think realistically about a wooden park if it's offered. A maintenance budget MUST be put in place from the very beginning with annual refurbishments as a mandatory requirement.

I could go on and on, but that'll do to start. Don't sit back and believe someone else is doing this donkeywork, it's as likely they're not and the council don't like 'wasting' money on projects that aren't an instant success. Like a park that no-one rides coz it's crap...

Gruf

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 01:37 PM »
Bob,
which local paper did you see it in?  As TWOBOBROB suggested, it'd be good to get behind this from the start!

Gruf

Gruf

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 01:45 PM »
Just been checking out the web,  seems that a skatepark has been in the pipeline since before Oct 2003.  There's been consultations and stuff with local skaters inconjunction with the shop in Lowfield Street - Border Zone.  Good things are under way, but shame it wasn't or hasn't been publicised a bit more so some local BMXer's could've got involved, unless any of you out there already have?  If so update us! (unless of course as usual I've been going around with my eye's closed!)

So any one else out there know anymore?

Jamie C

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 05:52 PM »
Yeah myself and Kev Garwood sat down with one of the councillors a few weeks back.  Initially things didn't do too well as (just as the paper says) they wanted to build an outdoor park that wouldn't be up to much.  Anyhow, it turns out that they had a really good site about 1 mile out of Dartford that is undercover.  The local skaters dismissed the site saying it was too far out. We think they're mad.

We submitted an alternative proposal for the undercover sight with ramps built by Kev, Aaron Bostrom, Nate Wessell etc.  Gary Ream at Woodward and the other Councils in the area that Kev built ramps for provided references and the whole thing looked really good.  Hopefully with BMX being in the Olympics and all that it'll mean that they don't go with the current plans.  We've seen the site they want to use and it wont be up to much whereas our proposal would probably be the best park in the UK.

We're waiting to hear from them.  All support gratefully received.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 07:24 PM »
support , How?

Rich :)

MeddlE

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 09:23 PM »
Yep, let us know how we can help and we'll be there.

Jamie C

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 12:02 PM »
Good question.

At some point soon there will be a meeting between the councilors and local skaters, bmxers, binliners etc.

If our proposal hasn't been discounted at that point I guess we need as much backing for an undercover park as possible.  The local skateshop seems to have closed and no-one has told the skaters that they could get something amazing at this point. 

The council has to provide three alternative proposal.  If ours is amongst the three put forward and you're in agreement with what we're wanting to do then just voice your support at any future meetings.  It's kind of obvious that with Woodward donating ramps, Skatelite helping with the wood, Wessell and the boys building for as little as they can, a roof, Wobbly's enthusiasm, and input from the local skaters we can make something far better than a commercial contractor.

Gruf

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Yeah, let us know when and where and hopefully we'll be able to help!
Something like this is long overdue!

If you need help with Statutory council stuff like Planning or Building Control, let me know and i could help with advice etc...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 02:13 PM by Gruf »

benda666

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 10:12 PM »
 well i went to the thameside planning thingy in dartford and by the looks of things its gonna be wicked it looks like there is gonna be bowls and stuff there,

check it out for yeself go to the old house near B&Q when u go in there go upstairs to the thamside planning thing

Jamie C

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 06:53 PM »
Well the council in their ultimate wisdom have gone with their initial plan (i.e. a useless mellow bowl).

I think the woman's name was Patsy something or other.  I think she was very short-sighted.

Dollarbill

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Someone told me there going to be building a Skatepart in Ashted Surrey, not far from me & Stuntmaster.
Anyone know anymore about this ?

Chris

A new park's just opened in Kingston Road, Leatherhead, next to All Saints School. One of my little nippers starts there next month so me thinks I'll be taking her to school on the axle pegs!!

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 09:14 PM »
yep there is a skatepark just up the road from me and it`s crap .everything is so small and you have to lean right over to do peg stalls . there is another one in leatherhead thats better but still not great but better than nothing.
i would get on to council if i were you as otherwize it will be like every other crap skatepark
no1stuntmaster on instagram

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  New Skatepark for Dartford......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx