gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pro class bars
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pro class bars  (Read 552 times)

GREMLIN

Pro class bars
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:11 PM »
 :)  A while back i picked up a set of Pro class bars to go onto my Cali'.  They were a bit snotty, so they had the usual clean up.  Cleaned up quite nice, but they're not chrome, they're stainless.  So where they are tarnished it still shows up slightly.  So i am thinking about having them chromed now...  Will stainless chrome up ok?  Also there are a few small scrapes on the top bar, any ideas on the best way to get them sorted before maybe sending them to the dippers?  They're hidden once the pad is on, but for the sake of getting them done right from the start i may as well deal with them.  Thanx lads,   G.    :daumenhoch:

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Pro class bars
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:33 PM »
dont get them chromed gav stainless will polish up like chrome,i did a set for my supergoose,i removed the small dings with dent pulling tool we use at work then polished to mirror finish they came up like this
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 05:37 PM »
yup, stainless will polish, as good as chrome.
I want to touch ORB

GREMLIN

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 05:55 PM »
If i can polish my way through the tarnishing and small pot marks that's cool.  I did give them a good polish to get them to the stage they're at now. But it seemed after a while they weren't gonna get any better.  Maybe i'd best put a little more elbow grease into it  ;)   Phil what did you use to get yours looking like that?   :daumenhoch:   Gav.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:55 PM »
hi gav i cheated and machine polished them ,you wont get them really shiney doing them by hand as stainless is a really hard metal and takes a lot of time even when using a polishing motor :(

GREMLIN

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 07:15 PM »
I'll have to get somebody to do mine then.  One of my turbo stems is off to be rechromed, when i can be arsed to drive along to Poole, so i'll see if he will have a bash at polishing the bars up for me when i'm there.   ;)  Worth a try.     G.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 07:23 PM »
i polished my leary stem too,i dont like chrome on alloy as you get oxidisation on alloy ,which is like a white powder that develops and it will lift the chrome i had a pair of chrome ukais that did after a couple of months of use :'(

GREMLIN

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:33 PM »
I've heard about chroming over alloy before  ???   I've got the 1 turbo stem which is nicely polished up.  So the other i'm def thinking of rechroming.  Even if only for show use eventually.    :-\ 

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:19 PM »
get a polishing kit.

they fit on an ordinary drill.

you can get them from frost restoration i think, they do mail order.

you need the mops, and paste.

the chromers will polish the items first, before they chrome them, so iven if you are not happy with the results, you will have saved yourself some cash cos the chromers will have less work to do, plus they always come in handy for polishing anything bmx related, ali, steel, chrome...the lot.
I want to touch ORB

GREMLIN

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Nice 1.  Thanx Oberon'.  Thanx Phil m8  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pro class bars

gfxgfx
gfx gfx