gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 01:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  New Cross Skatepark SE London
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Cross Skatepark SE London  (Read 3613 times)

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
New Cross Skatepark SE London
« on: January 20, 2007, 09:56 PM »
Seeing these pic's of that Stodgy has been posting got me thinking, did anyone on here ever go to New Cross Skate Park, I never went there on a bike, but did go there on Skates before BMX, so would have been very early 80s.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: New Cross Skatepark SE London
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 10:03 PM »
That was built after they demolished the house that I used to live in up untill I was 5, I think I went there once with my riding buddies from Lee Green early on, so it would have been about 1981 ish, can,t remember much about it though  :(
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 10:22 PM »
Yeah that would sound about right, I would have been about 14. I remember a bit about it, it was close to the Train Station, (New Cross Gate I think) it had a snakerun with a bowl at the end of it on the left as you came in & I think a few small bowls on the right.
I wonder if its still there  ???

superFLY69

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:46 PM »
not sure we are thinking of the same park

think it was next to deptford green school

grew up around deptford newcross bermondsey

can only remember the mad dog bowl and concrete bowl and possible snake run near the school.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 12:11 AM »
It is the same place Paul, you culd say it was Deptford or New Cross  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Trev

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 01:03 AM »
It's not there anymore. It got filled in a while back now and it's now a kiddies playground.

I never rode there, but i'd seen it many a time when on the train going towards London.  The reason i never rode there was that i was really young when it was open and New Cross always had that dodgy reputation that you'd get your bike nicked there.  When you're about 12/13, you can't afford to get your bike nicked, so never went there.  :(

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 08:27 AM »
It's not there anymore. It got filled in a while back now and it's now a kiddies playground.

I never rode there, but i'd seen it many a time when on the train going towards London.  The reason i never rode there was that i was really young when it was open and New Cross always had that dodgy reputation that you'd get your bike nicked there.  When you're about 12/13, you can't afford to get your bike nicked, so never went there.  :(

Yeah a bit like Stockwell/Brixton, we would go there but were always on the look out in case we had to make a quick getaway  :(

trill

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 04:55 PM »
i was taken there once by a mate but did'nt have my bike with me, i remember the bowls had a load of cracks in the surface, it was closed for sometime before being demolished,the council thought in was to unsafe.

spillers#1

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 03:00 PM »
Me and pro-tec used to go there a lot from about 1981-84.It did have a bad reputation for getting mugged there used to be a bloke on the gate who would unlock the gate and let you in then lock you in there until you left :knuppel2:i had some good times there.its a playground now.

Ramp Rat

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:36 PM »
I used to ride New Cross gate park with Tony Mac, Ralph Tribe, Darren Crisp and Steve Baldry. Great park for big fly outs, there was the big bowl after the snake run that was really deep but never went to vert so it was great for big fly outs. Loads of fun but well dodey for getting your biked nicked, I remember us racing back to the train station and hearing kids chasing us saying "gimy that Hutch man, I want that Hutch!!!"  Well scary, we were only nippers at the time.

spillers#1

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 11:07 AM »
The big bowl after the snake run was good for 360 spins out of it :Dits funny hearing other people talking about pedalling like a maniac through the tunnell so you didn't get mugged even more of a shit hole now.

Pro-tec

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 05:26 PM »
I snapped my Bassett there showing off to a photographer, like you do. Doh!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  New Cross Skatepark SE London

gfxgfx
gfx gfx