gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Creaking cranks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Creaking cranks  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Creaking cranks
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:15 PM »
Help needed (maybe).  My cranks (stock 3pc-05' Ripper) have started to creak (more like ticking actually). I remember vaguely that 3pce did this bitd but cant remember much else (generally ;D) .
Q/ is it a problem and even if its not what sorts it out. As always all help and info appreciated :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

madall

Re: Creaking cranks
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 03:22 PM »
The worst for it were the Sugino GT alloy cranks they fcuked me off big time bitd, tightening doesnt work either I eventually changed to flights .

Sorry I cant help

dj_benice

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:26 PM »

Q/ is it a problem and even if its not what sorts it out.
MP3 Player  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 03:30 PM »
Dry joints on the cranks to axles, axle to bearings, pedal threads to cranks can cause this, strip them down and put a thin layer of quality grease (teflon based is good) on the axle, bearing case (if sealed) the crank splines, pedal threads and put it all back together.  Also, pop the seals off the BB bearings (if sealed) and regrease those too.

Not a definite fix but has always worked for me  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

madall

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 03:43 PM »

Q/ is it a problem and even if its not what sorts it out.
MP3 Player  :daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol:

zed4130

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 04:25 PM »
I had this once 'but realised it was the plates in my legs creaking  :2funny:

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Not a definite fix but has always worked for me 

:LolLolLolLol:  I know what you mean. I stripped, regreased and rebuilt my new school twin pinch flights about 3 or 4 times and not once did it solve the problem ::). The I stripped them off the frame and put them on a different one - no creaking  ???

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 05:08 PM »
re-grease BB like they say,but also have a look at the pedals,they take most of the strain when riding,and if the bearings in the spindles are worn they'll l creak.

priv

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 05:20 PM »
i,ve heard of this problem existing on tri-moly frames.the frame itself makes noises but sounds like the cranks.

Bitchy Roo

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 05:32 PM »
copper slip grease  :daumenhoch: it's not the stuff that makes policeman fall over tho.. :idiot2:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 05:55 PM »
Yeah,  I build everything up with coppergrease, jobs a good un.  If alloy cranks are ridden loose for any length of time though they will start to creak and never ever shut up even when tightned   :(

ghostriderx

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 10:22 PM »
 just had a similar problem but on mi mtb splined 3 piece cranks, more of a ticking noise like you say. stripped everything down copperslip on every contact point bolt you name it, still the same, so went and bought a new bottom bracket, still the same,  thought what the fook is it. in the end it was the chain as soon as i stopped putting GT 85 spray on it and put some thicker finihline oil stuff on,  it all went silent,  sounds daft try it  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 11:23 PM »
Loads to go at there, if all else fails, fook it it creaks :daumenhoch: cheers people ;)
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

zed4130

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 08:27 AM »
funny though i have had this allot on ally frames  :daumenhoch:

Rooonga

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Yeh - I had the same problem on my Redline Signature 20" the twin pinch flites were always creaking - even after a full rebuild and re-grease.

I think some alluminuim frames just creak a bit!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 01:32 AM »
Yeh - I had the same problem on my Redline Signature 20" the twin pinch flites were always creaking - even after a full rebuild and re-grease.

I think some alluminuim frames just creak a bit!

Silly question (or so it might seem), but did you grease the threads on the bb if Euro or grease the bearing cups if US?  I ask as sometimes this can cause the creaking.  on Alloy frames the headset cups can also cause the same problem and make it sound like the BB or cranks as the creak resonates down the tubes  :-\ .

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Rooonga

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 02:34 AM »
yeh - euro bb. all greased nicely!

Made no difference.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Creaking cranks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx