gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Anybody know about
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anybody know about  (Read 660 times)

Frosty

Anybody know about
« on: January 17, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Montessa BMX bikes?

I have found one that has the distinctive M and all looks to be original, but I have not ever heard of them producing anything other than motorbikes or trials bicycles!

Any info greatfully received.

Thanks

Paul

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Anybody know about
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 08:23 PM »
They DID do a Trials cycle, about 82 I think. The local moto bike shop sold them.
I had a mate who had one, but do not remember much about it other than it had really cool nobblies on it, I think it had a MTB/motorbike style fork/headset set up. It was red. That is about it.
Ad  :-[

greentoad

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 08:43 PM »
Hi

This sounds interesting.

Can you get some pics up of the bike and the M.

It could be a motorcycle manufacturer, as they did do a few builds and tried to get into the market.

I got a 16" BSA Looptail a while back, but don't remember every seeing one bitd.

Does it look like anything on here? -

http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/M/

J.

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:42 PM »
The bike was produced by Montesa, the Spanish? trials bike manufacturer.
The "M" was the same as the motorbike, and they were sold thru the motorbike dealers.
I had a Montesa Cota 249 when I was 14. I bought it when I sold my Gen 1, which I never got a pic of, which I aquired by "swapping" the F+F for my GT way back when.
Our local dealer was a company John Burdons ( he was a VILLA moto X factory rider)
They are now a well established machine company, which stemmed from him making his own sprockets BITD.
He even did a rebore (60cc) on my RD50 BITD
Memories.
Ad

Frosty

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 09:46 AM »
J,

I looked on the museum before asking on here and have also checked on the other sites too, but no luck at all.

The frame looked very much like a Thruster and I've seen from the thread on vbmx that there was a company in NL that used their vanishing point frame and rebadged it, I thought perhaps the same occured with Montessa.

It could also be a blatant copy and of inferior quality!!

Ad, do they look like anything you recognise??

Cheers

Paul

not4fun

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 10:02 AM »
They became Monty.

Here's a bit of history about them.

http://www.monty.es/about/index.asp

Frosty

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Thanks not4fun, I have mailed them and will hopefully get some more details etc about this early model.

Regards

Paul

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 07:09 PM »
It doesn't look that familiar, but seem to remember that it was a trials bike, as opposed to a BMX.
Sorry Frosty
Ad

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Anybody know about

gfxgfx
gfx gfx