gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 11:43 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Mongoose fork bought on e-bay, am I too exacting ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mongoose fork bought on e-bay, am I too exacting ?  (Read 1465 times)

rockinlumberjack

Mongoose fork bought on e-bay, am I too exacting ?
« on: January 05, 2007, 06:47 PM »
Hello all !
I've bought, on E-bay in the USA, a Mongoose fork. The title of the item was : "Mongoose Chrome Chromoly Californian Forks BMX OS !!!!". I was very interested to buy, because I was in need of a fork for my Mongoose 84 Rupe frame. I've asked to the seller, before to bid, if it was a Tange Japan model or a USA model. His answer was that "as the fork has Californian or Expert decals, it can be a 84-85 USA model". Japan or USA, it's equal for me. So, I've bidded and won the item for the amount of $ 52 + $ 40 for shipping to Switzerland. It was the december 21. I immediately paid by Paypal and I was very happy to finally have found the fork for my frame.
This morning, I've received the packet. First disappointement : the steerer tube was showing out of the packet. The threads of the steerer tube had dent, but luckily, the headset nut goes well. The second problem was more important for me . I inspected the fork : the chrome was nice, the fork look nice, but bad surprise, on the steerer tube was wrote : LUNG.I (a Taïwanese brand) and under : HI-TEN. I was very dissapointed. I don't wanted an Hi Tensile steel fork, but a Chromoly fork, at it was described in the title. I've just wrote to the seller. I'm very embarassed, because we have had nice contact, he was very sympathic and have good feedback on E-bay (me too, even I have only 17). I wait now for his answer. Do you think that I'm capricious, as Hi-Ten is strong but it's not chromoly. The fork is straight, look in very good  state, but as I want to ride with my Mongoose Rupe, I'm disappointed. Excuse me to use so many place to post this, but I want your opinion.
Many thanks and best regards.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Mongoose fork bought on e-bay, am I too exacting ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Can we see a picture of the offending forks please!!
I will check mine to see if they are made by the same company
A long time ago, in a land far away!

adiec72

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:57 PM »
not too exacting at all. If you pay for apples you don't expect to receive oranges.

rockinlumberjack

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:05 PM »
I can take picture, but I've already tested to send pictures here, but it goes not. Can you tell me how to make ? I can send pictures per e-mail, but not on this site. Thanks.

THE TUF*NECK

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:08 PM »
hello please tell me his name i am angry as fook when people pull this shit please tell me his name i have many friends in usa they will make his name bad on all websites give me his name :tickedoff:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:30 PM »
If you send the pics to tony@citypets.biz I will post them for you  :daumenhoch:

rockinlumberjack

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Thanks Ratty ! I will post you the pictures. For the name of the seller, I will wait about his answer. As I've said, he seems to be honest, he's sympathic and all his customers are happy with what he have sold.

THE TUF*NECK

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 07:44 PM »
yes they sound very happy  ::)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 08:22 PM »
They look the real deal, but Im no expert, anyone else got any ideas?

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 08:24 PM »
If i could hold them i could tell you straight away if they are cro-mo or not :-[ :-\

greentoad

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 08:30 PM »
My November 1983 Mongoose forks have no writting or scratching on the main tube and weigh -

Hope this helps

J.

selfpreservation

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 09:02 PM »
cali forks were hi tensile steel only supergoose and proclass were cromo my 83 supergoose had a little round white cromo sticker in the headtube ,no stamps at all on them but i have to say the welding on those is similar to mine , i had an 84 grand prix with hi tensile forks and the welding was not as good as my supergoose forks , i have seen copies been advertised before on us gaybay
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:06 PM by selfpreservation »

rockinlumberjack

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 09:48 PM »
Thanks for your replies. Are you sure that all the Cali forks are made with Hi-Tensile ? The Californian models previous to 84 were, for some, made In Chatsworth CA. Hi-tensile isn't so bad, my first BMX was made with this steel and still alive. But for my My Mongoose Rupe looptail that I'm rebuilding not only to show, but for ride too, a CR-MO fork will look and go better with my Profile 2nd gen. 85, Hutch W 85 stem, Tioga Bear. II, Kashimax Aero 85, Kuwie Lazer hinged seatpost 84, gold Shimano DX 82 pedals, 85 Skyway Tuff II, gold Suntour seatpost clamp, black 83 and 84 DC MX 1000 with centron.
The seller has answered to my e-mail and was very nice and polite. He have asked if he can offer parts in replacement shipped for free and that I can resell the fork if I wanted. He said he didn't knew at all that all the Mongoose forks weren't CR-MO.
If someone is interested, I can sell the fork.
Many thanks again.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 09:52 PM »
I would hold on to the forks, and have some extra bits off him, at least you have forks until you get the correct pair :daumenhoch:

selfpreservation

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 10:40 PM »

i reckon there snide never seen stamped ones before but then im not an expert just supergoose loopy crazzee nuts :crazy2:

rockinlumberjack

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 10:49 PM »
Hey Jimmy P !
We can make a trade : my Hi-Tensile Mongoose fork for your USA Mongoose Supergoose frame and fork !
OK ?
Best regards !

Coastvl

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 04:44 AM »
I've seen those markings on forks before. Just not real mongoose forks. Who knows? maybe they're made for Mongoose.

dj_benice

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 10:24 AM »
I think lung(i) made copy forks possibly as I have a set of landing gear snides that are stamped the same.

login_user

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 04:18 AM »
" Lung i " made forks for the later mongoose bikes,i think from late 84 i have a set that where on an 85 Cali but they say chromo on them,the weldings not as neat as the welding on the US made forks.But still the real deal. :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Mongoose fork bought on e-bay, am I too exacting ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx