gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 09:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  redline flites looseball question NOW WITH PICS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: redline flites looseball question NOW WITH PICS  (Read 778 times)

selfpreservation

redline flites looseball question NOW WITH PICS
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:24 PM »
right got looseball flites with a proclass chainwheel top hat washer when i put the cranks on they clip the chainstay so i put in a spacer from the flight 11 i have , it now clears the chainstay but the end of the spindle is now a bit low ie its not flush with the cranks , is this ok , also which way do you fit the top hat washer with the wider bit at the cranks or on the inside , also the same problem on the other side with the cranks cause the locknut is really deep about 5mm WTF  can i ride like this or will they die ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:47 PM by selfpreservation »

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: redline flites looseball question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:26 PM »
i usually fit the top hat washer on the inside but whatever makes your chainline up and not grind on anything works for me.
I want to touch ORB

mark j

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 08:36 PM »
Hello Ciaran, From what I'm reading into your post and picturing what you mean the end of the spindle doesn't come flush with the crank, normally by the time you fit the spring washer and the bolt the head of the bolt will be slightly protruding from the pedal arm. BTW the pinch bolts arrived today, I'll put them in the post tomorrow......

selfpreservation

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 08:52 PM »
mark i managed to sort the drive side but now the locknut on the  left side is too thick , its about 5-6mm it needs to be about 3mm so i need to get this one thinned down somehow or get another one from somewhere

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:41 PM »
3mm sounds thin.

are you sure youve fitted it right?
I want to touch ORB

selfpreservation

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:46 PM »
i dont know what is right ? i think its right i unpacked the bb and inserted the bearings into the shells as they were in the box ie balls facing into the shells is that right ? , it spins well not loose or anything the locknut is fookin massive compared to any other ive seen , it is a mongoose one for early one piece mongoose cranks pre 81 , it clears the threads by more than 2mm if it was approx the depth of ordinary locknuts i have for different threads it woulod be fine i reckon

heres a pic of the massive locknut

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOS-BMX-MONGOOSE-BB-SET-28TPI-FOR-REDLINE-FLIGHT-CRANK_W0QQitemZ300065252106QQihZ020QQcategoryZ22677QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:26 PM by selfpreservation »

Coastvl

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 04:34 AM »
Something else must be up 'cause I use one of those Mongoose sets on my pre-pinch flites and it works perfectly. My BB set looks Identical to those in the ebay pic.

selfpreservation

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 10:37 AM »
COULD IT BE THAT MY BB ON THE FRAME IS SLIGHTLY THINNER THAN MOST sorry for shouting i had flight 2s on it and had to file the spacer by a couple of mm

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 01:01 PM »
Installation guide for Flight cranks - Hope this helps!

http://ajkbikes.com/downloads/techtips/techtips.htm

selfpreservation

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 06:11 PM »
cheers mate

selfpreservation

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 06:18 PM »
ive installed them properly i knew i had anyway gonna have to skim the nut down i reckon  , the nut is fine with the redline one bb which is flatter than the mongoose one (it doesnt have the  the raised nut on the cone ect) , i reckon its just the supergoose bb is slightly thinner than others , i had to skim about 2-3 mm off the spacer when i installed my flight 2s on it as welll 

selfpreservation

Re: redline flites looseball question NOW WITH PICS
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 08:48 PM »
OK MY CAMERA IS CRAP CLOSE UP BUT HERE GOES

THE LOCKNuT IS STOPPING THE CRANKS FROM BUTTING UP CORRECTLY ive followed the installation instructions and the BB is spinning beautifully the cups are in correctly there is no play in the bb if i tighten anymore the cranks become stiff to turn i havent installed loosebal flights before but ive done loads of one piece and it seems correct to me , if i ues the original drive side cone it fits perfectly but because the mongoose bb has a raised nut instead of being slotted and therfore flat those extra couple of mm are stopping the crank from butting correctly onto the spline  :'(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:54 PM by selfpreservation »

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 09:39 PM »
have you got a spacer in?
I want to touch ORB

selfpreservation

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 09:44 PM »
you mean a top hat washer ? yeah but its on the other side on the crank side of the drive side cone so it has no effect on the near side but i have no other spacers installed its just too proud , if i had a 28tpi normal profile washer about 4mm  it would be fine its weird i think the bb on the supergoose is quite short cause i had new school flights on my old one and i had to cut the spacer down by 2-3 mm to fit then i put them on my new one and they fitted perfect

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  redline flites looseball question NOW WITH PICS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx