gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 05:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  GT Freestyler
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GT Freestyler  (Read 5399 times)

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
GT Freestyler
« on: August 12, 2007, 05:18 PM »
Hi folks, the suns out  8) and I've just completed a cheap budget build centered around the GT Freestyler frame (the GT Vertigo is now in storage...aka the loft):

Parts List: BB & Headset: Halfords £10, Dyno Forks and GT Stem £10, GT Freestyler Frame: £40, Cycle Craft Pads: £5, GT 1/2 Pedals: £5, GT Racing 180mm 1/2 crank and chain ring £15, Grips £6, Chain £10
Other parts such as the Renthal Seat Post, Tioga Seat Clamp,  Tricktop Seat, Win CW Bars, Tyres & wheels, MX901 Rear brake set are from my parts bin. I know it ain't what one would call a pure bike but I like the look and simplicity :coolsmiley:

Thanks to (and in no particular order) Rad members Stodgy, Stace, Darkersomeday, DirtyVans and Fishface from who I acquired parts over the last few months to finally achieve this build :daumenhoch:

Paul :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:12 PM by aerostylie »
Vans Style

rarman1

Re: GT Freestyler
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:49 PM »
thats a shiney happy ride ya got there paul

gonna be a rider ?

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:24 AM »
the more i see them the more i like em :daumenhoch:

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 01:28 PM »
thats a shiney happy ride ya got there paul

gonna be a rider ?

Cheers bud, yeh just caught the sun right. Mainly gonna look and stare at it and occassionally use it for wobblin around Epic/Creation or take it out the odd sunny day around the block. The Win Bars and layback are a great help, me being a taller rider.

I'm really getting into the midschool GT thing, with the Vertigo and now this frame, gonna try and source some GT mags at some point.

Vans Style

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Hi ya Paul

Looks real nice that mate!  loved the Vertigo you rode at MK........i looked like it handled really well.

We're going to have another session at Creation in September with the last lot of riders getting first dib dobs on the tickets, so you should be able to give it a go then! 

Be good to see you there mate  :daumenhoch:

and this time you can bring the Mrs if you want too  ;D

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Hi ya Rob...did you manage to download those MK race vids.......and any joy with selling the MCS?  ::)

Arr the Vertigo....I'm dismantaling that at the mo, sticking the F&F/bars in the loft......too many bits around the house now, so have to make some room. I think the gearing on the Vertigo let me down at MK....nothing to do with me being pants :coolsmiley:

Yeh Creation would be ace :4_17_5:. I think on 2nd September there is a O/S race meet at Bulwell in Nottingham organised by Dingo which I'm probaly gonna go to (weather permitting).

My mrs won't mind missing the Creation meet, I tend to interact more when she's not around so she's cool with that. Hope to catch up with ya soon.

Vans Style

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 02:06 PM »
to be honest mate i think you're right about the gearing........i did say that to you on the day, you seemed to be pedelling as though your life depended on it but not going anywhere  :2funny:

Yeah Dingo has told me about that race meet, so we'll leave that weekend free for the racers  :daumenhoch:

No luck with the MCS  :-\  i've stuck it up on the bay now......i'm even getting rid of those lovely Ron C bars which are very rare now so i'm told  ???

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 10:41 PM »
Looks cool mate, they should do more chrome bikes these days as they always look cool.

I'm just doing an 87 Performer that's chrome and gonna go all out on the chrome too, flights, wheels, everything.

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

rarman1

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Looks cool mate, they should do more chrome bikes these days as they always look cool.

I'm just doing an 87 Performer that's chrome and gonna go all out on the chrome too, flights, wheels, everything.

Daz.

looking forward to that mate

rob :daumenhoch:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:49 AM »

Daz.

looking forward to that mate

rob :daumenhoch:

All down to the quality frame I got from you Rob......I was going to do it either green and yellow like Jess D's or that deep red colour that Fiola had but when I saw how good the condition of it was I just thought - CHROME! You don't see enough chrome ones.

Thanks again fella!

Daz.

:daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 01:40 PM »

Daz.

Cheers Daz, I must admit I'm a bit partial to chrome myself, from BITD to present times. New school rides are just a bit bland for my liking. Powder coated rides are nice but on sunny days you can't beat the bling  8).

You must put a pic up of your build :daumenhoch: Chrometastic :coolsmiley:

Vans Style

darkersomeday

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 03:43 PM »
looks mint!

great job there sir! :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 05:26 PM »
I think the gearing on the Vertigo let me down at MK....nothing to do with me being pants :coolsmiley:

Deffo the gearing let you down, i mentioned it to dan dare, what gearing were you using? it looked (by the speed of your likkle legs) like it was 39/16 to 41/16 couldnt be more than that surely.gear up to  44 for next year and kick some ass :daumenhoch:

Capt Canuck

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 06:18 PM »
those are nice frames.

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 06:20 PM »
Deffo the gearing let you down, i mentioned it to dan dare, what gearing were you using? it looked (by the speed of your likkle legs) like it was 39/16 to 41/16 couldnt be more than that surely.gear up to  44 for next year and kick some ass :daumenhoch:

I've just had a look......and it's 41/18....no fookin wonder :crazy2: :buck2:  I was admittedly lacking somewhat in the technique department also :(

Vans Style

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 07:11 PM »
fook me thats a seriously bad gearing for racing unless ya going up hill :LolLolLolLol:

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 08:07 PM »
fook me thats a seriously bad gearing for racing unless ya going up hill :LolLolLolLol:

As you can probably guess, I don't have a clue about gearing :LolLolLolLol: I just used the parts I had available without any consideration......I thought a bit of stamina would carry me through :buck2:.

OD, what do you reckon's the best set up......I wasn't gonna bother racin at MK next year considerin I finished plum last in all 3 motos :(
Vans Style

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 09:36 AM »
44/16 is the best alround gearing i reckon and a good one for MK, dont go any bigger than that, you could go 42-43/16, but the set up you had was unbelievably bad for racing, great for flatland i imagine but not good for traveling, you really need to get a 16t freewheel as the 18t one is where the ratio went all wrong. it may be a bit of a shock to the system at first as it will feel so much stiffer than what you where running. and go for nothing shorter than a 175 crank, i got long legs n find 180's perfect. there will be a bid change in your positions next year dude you will have put twice as many pedals in around that track than anyone else this year, you did well to finish as close as you did dude, really well :daumenhoch:

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 02:03 PM »
Many thanks OD....that's give me a bit more confidence knowing that my gearing was whack (a good excuse for my performance) so will give 44/16 a go next year.......blast off :D.

I was gonna use my Tuffs at MK07 (which have a 16t) but went for the spokies as they were lighter wheels (not realising I had a 18t freewheel). Gonna have a trawl over the next few days for a 44t then give it a try. I do have an 180mm crank on another ride and yes it does feel better.

Ace one OD...very useful and very helpful advice :4_17_5:

The soon to be Flying Stylie :D
Vans Style

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 02:10 PM »
Many thanks OD....that's give me a bit more confidence knowing that my gearing was whack (a good excuse for my performance) so will give 44/16 a go next year.......blast off :D.

it was well well well whack dude, you shouldve got a trophy for stamina alone, with that gearing i think most of us would have pegged it on the third straight :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  GT Freestyler

gfxgfx
gfx gfx