gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 03:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  wheelie kings
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: wheelie kings  (Read 4182 times)

theRuler

wheelie kings
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:30 PM »
can anyone still wheelie?

before i got into bmx, my brother and i would have wheelie comps on my old puch arrow.

there were some right wheelie champs round where i lived. there was one guy who had a racer with cowhorns, and he could wheelie forever.

by the time bmx had taken hold, lengthy wheelies were a bit corny.

wish i could still do them though.

we would measure them by how many "cranks" you did.

phil (holmetech) was doing some cool wheelies at bones on saturday

spesh

Re: wheelie kings
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:02 PM »
 i havent stopped wheeling since i were 14
wheelied me R1 at 140 mph! wheelied me bmx at 14 mph :LolLolLolLol:
i still luv wheelies there the best!!!!!!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:00 PM »
craig strong was the nuts at wheelies
i was not bad 2 miles my record had to stop as the road ran out
me and my mate will on his raleigh bomber with mahoooooosive wide bars was great to so we rode side by side
till the road stopped ,shite now thou back brake dabber.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 03:06 PM »
was it craig strong that used to dismantle his bike wjile wheelieing?
I want to touch ORB

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:07 PM »
craig strong was the uk wheelie king, he did the wheelie striptease

over in the US brian scura (the guy who invented the flip over the bars) was the wheelie guy

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:30 PM »
Used to be able to wheelie for ages when I was younger.

getting better but nowhere near as good as i was. As Dan said "back brake dabber".

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:00 PM »

over in the US brian scura (the guy who invented the flip over the bars) was the wheelie guy

craig strong was the uk wheelie guy...correct.
it was the freeman flip, not mr scura...he invented the gyro....sst.

graeme hearing you say that about lengthy wheelies being 'corny' has spurned me to ask your age.....cos you hate tuffs and wheelies not being 'in' leads me to believe your younger than most here....not that theres anything wrong in that.....but lengthy wheelies....i remember watching a clip of bob haro in like 82/83 doing coaster wheelies. at that time there was no-one more un-corny than the lord god 'bob'.....and he ran tuffs.....goddamit...i knew id get you.
lol

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 05:07 PM »
Where I lived the road went around the estate in a circle (well, more of a square really) on a bit of a hill and one of the lads used to be able to wheelie all the way around. I was well impressed  :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 05:35 PM »

craig strong was the uk wheelie guy...correct.
it was the freeman flip, not mr scura...he invented the gyro....sst.

graeme hearing you say that about lengthy wheelies being 'corny' has spurned me to ask your age.....cos you hate tuffs and wheelies not being 'in' leads me to believe your younger than most here....not that theres anything wrong in that.....but lengthy wheelies....i remember watching a clip of bob haro in like 82/83 doing coaster wheelies. at that time there was no-one more un-corny than the lord god 'bob'.....and he ran tuffs.....goddamit...i knew id get you.
lol

Dave

hey dave

scotty freeman learnt the flip from brian scura. brian called it the scura tuck - when he invented it.
i think abmx dubbed it the "freeman flip" when it was featured in action bike

as for me, i am 33 years old. the wheelie was a trick we did since we could ride bikes, it was not an en-vogue trick when i started riding bmx in 83.

bobs lengthy coaster wheelie in those vids look pretty smart, and they probably did look way cool at the time.

but like most early tricks they soon lost favour with the ever fashion conscious youth. remember 84, hops were cool, 85 hops werent? we were so fickle.

in 83 a whole gang of us would session wheelies forever. on racers and bmxs
in 84 things got more tech, with framestands and endos
85 was more trackstands and balance moves

no ramps near us though. street was all we rode

craig strong's wheelie act was a bit circussy (sp?) at the time.
looks great now though!!

i don't have any real dislike for tuff wheels, but i dont hold them on any pedestal as being the best freestyle wheelset you could use, or was used.

Ramp Rat

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 05:36 PM »
I loved Wheelies but couldn't do them for very long, 2 crank spank. We had a mate in our BMX gang that could go forever, Keith Winyard. I've recently had dreams of doing wheelies for miles, felt really good too. I also have dreams of doing big airs on a q- pipe but I end up falling off the side of the ramp and land about 20ft away from the ramp, very disturbing dreams and I've had many - too much acceeeed  :).

theRuler

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 05:37 PM »
I've recently had dreams of doing wheelies for miles, felt really good too.

you're not alone there mate
there have been a few threads on here about dream wheelies

i have them dreams a lot. i can wheelie forever and am unable to fall off the back

selfpreservation

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 05:42 PM »
bitd i could wheelie as long as i wanted 2/3 miles was no sweat , i even did the cycling stage of my cycling proficency test on my back wheel fo a laugh , got disqualifyed of course   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 05:50 PM »
i think dirty vans sleep walk wheelies    ;)

Holmetech

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Thanks Mr Ruler for your kind comments on my wheelies.  ;)

I can wheelie my beat all the way up my road,well nearly.  ;D

Can do one handers,but no for long.  :D

Need to practice coaster wheelies, now they are cool.  8)

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 05:59 PM »
i could do long wheelies and taught me little bro dan air to wheelie
and hes good lol
and even standing on peg manuals most of
regent street lol

theRuler

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 06:04 PM »
i can peg wheelie really well. i can go until i run out of road.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 06:08 PM »
i discovered sit down wheelies on the first london cruise i went on with waxintaxin, felt a bit silly doing them at first, then couldnt stop :)
had no-footed coaster wheelies by the end of the day and a sore arsh :P

only oldskool bikes are good for wheelies - and you need a layback seat post :daumenhoch:

i'm building the ultimate wheelie machine at the mo for the next oldskool bike cruise :D

swazall and dan dare could also wheelie at will :angel:

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 06:22 PM »
thats cos dans arse weighs him down backwards.....and graham....you said flip not tuck(padantic i know)...and 83 was when you started riding bmx...i gave up in 84/85, had had a bmx since 1979, so sit down wheelies and coaster wheelies were deffo trendy for me(early doors)....yet a stand up wheelie was frowned upon...they looked dorky

lol

Dave
haro, how do you do

theRuler

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 06:26 PM »
thats cos dans arse weighs him down backwards.....and graham....you said flip not tuck(padantic i know)...and 83 was when you started riding bmx...i gave up in 84/85, had had a bmx since 1979, so sit down wheelies and coaster wheelies were deffo trendy for me(early doors)....yet a stand up wheelie was frowned upon...they looked dorky

lol

Dave

scott freemans flip was the same as scura's, but sf was too weedy to pull the bike back over his head. sf says in that action bike interview that he learnt it from big brian.

wow started in 79? i guess thats when we doing wheelies too.

as i didnt start on bmx until 83, things had changed since the golden years. bob haro was on his way out by then.

as for the stand up wheelies, that was all we used to do!

lol i can still see in my mind that kid on the racer, stood bolt upright with cowhorns cranking a massive wheelie, with half mast trousers on.  great days

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 06:28 PM »
i can peg wheelie really well. i can go until i run out of road.

cool but i bet you didnt over take a merc lol
me bro scared the shit out of him lol

Trev

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 06:41 PM »

when i was competing i could never wheelie far. maybe about 20-30 feet. it used to be well funny, cos all the local kids used to see me doing amazing tricks and when they asked me how far i could wheelie and i said i couldn't they wouldn't believe me.

i used to be able to peg wheelie for ages though.

i learnt proper wheelies just before i stopped riding where i could go on till i got tired. can't do them now. the seat is too low.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 06:57 PM »
I can have a wheelie    ;)

A long time ago I used to have very long hair. Not unlike Craig Strong actually.  On more then one occaision I have been out street riding with Pikey Paul Davis and we have passed me off as Mr. Strong.  Happy days........ hair and that............

For the debate though,  Craig Strong was a fraud in my eyes.  Banana saddle, fixed wheel?  Cobblers.  No more than gloryfied unicycling  :angrysoapbox:

My friend at the time and I (aged 6-7ish) learned to wheelie our choppers. A long haul actually, 2 or 3 years before we nailed em.  After a few unintentional ones which blew our minds we named a trick we honestly though we had invented.  The Glider.  Wheelie along - sitting or standing as was our choice at the time - go a little higher than was sensible and stop pedalling. Glide along as far as possible.  1975ish.

selfpreservation

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 07:01 PM »
have you ever tried unicycling , its not that easy

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 07:05 PM »
Oh blimey, yeah.  Please don't misunderstand me, I don't mean easier; I mean not proper wheelies.......

But the fixed wheel/direct drive is a massive part of unicycling, and a very real advantage once learned and applied to a bike.  Lets face it, it was the only way he was gonna wheelie along and read a magazine at the same time eh?

selfpreservation

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 07:08 PM »
can you imagine trying to ride a frewheel unicycle , sucide

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  wheelie kings

gfxgfx
gfx gfx