gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975768 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 10:54 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Chris Young
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chris Young  (Read 26641 times)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Chris Young
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2007, 06:50 PM »
Probably me asking about Andy Heath.   I rode with him a great deal back then, top bloke.  I heard he got into allsorts, glue and stuff.  I also heard he had passed away - which would be very sad if true.

Lets hope I'm wrong   :)

spillers#1

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2007, 08:48 PM »
I've heard Its a possibility that he joined the army years ago and did quite well for himself ???i must admit years ago i heard he was no longer with us.oh well we'll see what occurs.
I
remember going to rom with him in about 1985 in an old austin 1800 land crab thing,think it was his first car...he hadn't done much on his bmx for a while and ended up bending his bike showing off to a load of youngsters ;D

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2007, 08:52 PM »
That sounds just like him.    I've got some photos of him absolutely skying out of the end of the halfpipe at Rom.

And his bloody coat......  Camo jacket it rained, bomber jacket it stayed dry.  or summat like that   ;D

I can see him i the army though - and doing well.   :daumenhoch:

spillers#1

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2007, 09:10 PM »
Now you've mentioned the camo jacket we are definatley talking about the same person ha ha ha i remember the camo jacket ;Dhe started listening to doo wop fifties music and quiffing his air up.....started wearing an american college jacket.i have a picture some where of him on my brothers bike doing a endo out side pro-tec house with a quiff and baseball jacket.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2007, 09:13 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Be good to see him back on a bike if its possible   :)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2007, 10:37 PM »
I may have rode with you and Pro-tec at some time then, I rode with Chris around Anerley a lot bitd  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2007, 03:54 AM »
did you ever try ringing Chris, Billy?

oldmankev

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Chris was at the regional at Andover in December and he bought
himself a Cruiser there.

Pro-tec

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2007, 06:02 PM »
Man alive this is bringing back some memories! Bumped into Andy Young around 6 years ago, think he was doing a little building work at the time. Didn't mention Chris much though.
Last I heard of my old comrade Andy Heath or 'Eefy' as he was known as he was known in Sarf London he was a military man. Earned a few stripes by all accounts too. That was around 5 years ago though. Do hope he's OK, he was always a bit of a nutjob (the best kind though. Gawd bless 'im).
Yeah Spillers, I remember Betts Park you old name dropper you.
Billstup, I remember you alright. Although I reckon I'm around 4 years younger than you and Andy Heath. And when your a teenager that equates to around 5 feet of air's difference (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2007, 08:32 PM »
did you ever try ringing Chris, Billy?

No not yet, I did send an e-mail though, but never got a reply  :(
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2010, 01:39 PM »
well as some of you  now know i'm alive and well and racing again!!
 i did indeed join the army and ended up as an instructor.
i see chris now and again and speak to him on the phone every few weeks now after not seeing him since 86,
i'm trying to get him to race again in old school at Hersden but transport is a problem, if any one can get him there then i will supply a bike for him.
good news is he's really trying to put his past behind him  :daumenhoch:

andy h

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2010, 04:31 PM »

excellent news  :daumenhoch:

Mincer

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2011, 05:25 PM »
I saw Chris young (Pip) pass me by on a pushbike about 9 months ago.
I had gone to see a mate of mine who lives in South Norwood off the Portland road.
By the time it had registered in my mind it was him, he had gone.
I had not seen Chris last since I was 16 (I’m now 40) when I bought my 1st motorbike from him an AR50 Kawasaki

I use to live in a block of flats on the Croydon road opposite Betts park in Anerley
I went to junior school with the Llewellyn brothers..... Stewart Fleming by Birbeck station where their house was also near.
Gary would carry my Grifter down the stairs from the flat I lived in, when I was just 8.
They were both big Fookers then i was just a squirt.

BMX then came around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And bit us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....
My best friend James Francis who also had a Grifter at the time (and also went to Stewart Fleming) went on holiday to the states and brought back a Mongoose....
Our Destiny Was Set In Concrete!
James then got a Redline MX II in Candy red  S’Wee’T
Steven Godfrey got a “Goose..Warren Godfrey got a “Super “Goose both also went to Stewart Fleming.
All These boys named above used to race

Wayne didn’t have a decent ride back then.
He got spotted by Team Brian Smith.
Brian Smith lived down the same road as Chris and Andy Young’s house and had a yard where he would keep his race bikes and work from.(screen printing)
I last saw Gary when I was about 19 at a bus stop in Beckenham.
Is was then riding my RD350LC, I pulled over on to say hello.

I offen wonder what happened to all these boys and others from Betts park as listed below:-
Elmers End area
Darren Mole (Hutch)
Jim (Darren’s Mate) (Robinson)
Tim (White Bassett)
Foxes wood area
Clive Goslin
Martin his cousin
Darren and Gary Critch
South Norwood
Bo
Black Rodger (Robinson)

Just thought I might share some of my memories with you all and maybe jolt some other RAD members minds.

Vince the mince   

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2011, 07:42 PM »
I saw Chris young (Pip) pass me by on a pushbike about 9 months ago.
I had gone to see a mate of mine who lives in South Norwood off the Portland road.
By the time it had registered in my mind it was him, he had gone.
I had not seen Chris last since I was 16 (I’m now 40) when I bought my 1st motorbike from him an AR50 Kawasaki

I use to live in a block of flats on the Croydon road opposite Betts park in Anerley
I went to junior school with the Llewellyn brothers..... Stewart Fleming by Birbeck station where their house was also near.
Gary would carry my Grifter down the stairs from the flat I lived in, when I was just 8.
They were both big Fookers then i was just a squirt.

BMX then came around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And bit us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....
My best friend James Francis who also had a Grifter at the time (and also went to Stewart Fleming) went on holiday to the states and brought back a Mongoose....
Our Destiny Was Set In Concrete!
James then got a Redline MX II in Candy red  S’Wee’T
Steven Godfrey got a “Goose..Warren Godfrey got a “Super “Goose both also went to Stewart Fleming.
All These boys named above used to race

Wayne didn’t have a decent ride back then.
He got spotted by Team Brian Smith.
Brian Smith lived down the same road as Chris and Andy Young’s house and had a yard where he would keep his race bikes and work from.(screen printing)
I last saw Gary when I was about 19 at a bus stop in Beckenham.
Is was then riding my RD350LC, I pulled over on to say hello.

I offen wonder what happened to all these boys and others from Betts park as listed below:-
Elmers End area
Darren Mole (Hutch)
Jim (Darren’s Mate) (Robinson)
Tim (White Bassett)
Foxes wood area
Clive Goslin
Martin his cousin
Darren and Gary Critch
South Norwood
Bo
Black Rodger (Robinson)

Just thought I might share some of my memories with you all and maybe jolt some other RAD members minds.

Vince the mince   

tim used to be on here (pro-tec)
clive is on here (gossa)
chris isn't on here but he is on face book

i get up to s-norwood every couple of months or so and go and see chris
(i used to ride with all the people you mention above so would have known you as well i guess)

andy

simo27

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2011, 07:56 PM »
100% certain that he rode speedway for Rye House in the early nineties, our paths crossed a few times then and I am sure at a meeting once, might have been a testimonial for another rider he did his car jumping trick, he drifted away from speedway about 1993 I believe.

Simo

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2011, 11:35 AM »
100% certain that he rode speedway for Rye House in the early nineties, our paths crossed a few times then and I am sure at a meeting once, might have been a testimonial for another rider he did his car jumping trick, he drifted away from speedway about 1993 I believe.

Simo
when he lent me his photo albums last year to scan and put up on here there were some pics of him in his speedway gear but i only scanned the bmx stuff.

Chris Lee

« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2011, 06:11 PM »
i speak to Chris regularly and infact he text me just the other day....... he's dealt with his "demons" as far as i can tell and we both remain loyal friends..... but after sharing six months in a converted ambulance on tour with him on the "Steve Street Stunt Team" what would u expect?
i can contact him at a moments notice so... if any of ya wana pass on a message let me know!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Tell him Rob Steele says hello   :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Tell him Rob Steele says hello   :daumenhoch:

pm sent

shearer27

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Just reading through this thread so apologies if this has already been linked to but a few of you mentioned Chris's car jump so here it is:

/>

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2011, 04:28 PM »
and here's the pic a few mentioned of chris over 180 crossed

Mincer

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2011, 01:07 AM »
Nice touch Andy.

Love the poster of the 'Young One'!! :smitten:

I used to smoke around on a Chrome MCS Magnum until I was 13 then got a Black RM2 Raceinc from Youngs in Lee (Lewisham)

Chris was about 2 years older than me.

I remember when He 1st turned up on his Skyway TA at Betts and then the Haro freestyler frame set...

Their woz nothing out their like that except for Torkers and how rare were they !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must have called at least a dozen Ambulances from our flat over the road back in the day.

Kids would try and jump the double ramps at Betts..... We of course would egg them on ::)

Lumps on heads like golf balls.... several teeth missing..and hair blowing away in the wind like tumble weed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But all back to normal after we dispenced of another victim.

I do miss them days.....FOCK!!!

Vince

My Ripper and steves (steve69) VDC :coolsmiley:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2011, 12:48 AM »
Thats the same chris young i saw at harrow in 82 at a event i think haro set up bob was there and so was tim march it was a good day i think chris was on a ripper?  :daumenhoch:

Someones got a pic from that day, it might be Fatboymal. Chris won the comp that day and got the first Haro sponsorship in the UK, not full factory though, and I had the pleasure of going to the then UK distributor Gecko with Chris and picking up his Gen 1 and Haro jersey  :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2011, 02:17 AM »
chris and me neck and neck at hersden this september (2011) chis in yellow helmet

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2011, 09:09 AM »
love the second picture of him with Bob.......look at Chris's eyes, they just scream "shut the fook up and just give me that frame!!"   :LolLolLolLol:    :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Chris Young

gfxgfx
gfx gfx