gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoration recomendation
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Restoration recomendation  (Read 734 times)

Shings

Restoration recomendation
« on: October 31, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Hi All

This is my bike... its a TRM Freestyler- I've had it 14 years and decided it needs a bit of a resto...No shit eh!!!!

I only recently found out what it was too and I dont really know much about them to be honest.

I dont really have the time or skill to do it though so need to pass the work on to someone else- trust worthy- preferably in the west midlands area.

In my opinion it needs-
Re chroming
New chain
Attention to the brakes
New seat
New Grips
New/Better handle bars
New stem- I'd like a gyro style one
Barings replaced throughout
Top nut on stem looking at as it always comes undone????
New pedals
New chain wheel
New back wheel
2 tyres

Any ideas??

Jake

duncan

Re: Restoration recomendation
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Hi there,
Very nice bike.

It can be good to leave a rare bike like a TRM as a 'survivor', so before you get it rechromed you should check whether it's really required.

Have you tried polishing up the frame with Autosol. You might find any surface rust is easily removed with a little fine-grade wirewool.
Certainly change the tires.

Hang onto those bars for now, others will chime in here but they look similar to SE Powerwings or GT Pro bars. Check first before you think of getting rid of them!
Very nice mix of old parts, lots of character!

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 05:27 PM »
I agree, a bit of elbow grease with the autosol makes all the difference  ;)
The pics below are a before and after of a firebird which had been left lying for 20 years - took a bit of effort but was worth it in the end.

Shings

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 05:39 PM »
Cheers

I am really looking forward to what people have to say.. I've always ridden the bike hard and love it to bits... but have no idea what any of the bits are or owt.. but it is my pride and joy... ish...

The parts mix you talk about is how it came when I got it- bar the fact it had a red skyway on the front and green tyres would you believe as an 11 year old I paid £5.00 for it and bartered that down fro £45.00- not bad at 11 eh.

Jake

snav69

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 05:41 PM »
The beat thing i use is Brasso Wadding , Cleans everything a treat  :daumenhoch: and no messy cream  ;)
Paul  :coolsmiley:

Moza

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 06:14 PM »
Nice  :4_17_5:

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 06:21 PM »
Try oxalic acid, (wood bleach) to sort the rusty chrome . . . you'll be amazed at the results. Always read the label and wear protective clothing and gloves. Only use in a well ventillated area too  :daumenhoch:

Steve

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 06:57 PM »
I agree, a bit of elbow grease with the autosol makes all the difference  ;)
The pics below are a before and after of a firebird which had been left lying for 20 years - took a bit of effort but was worth it in the end.

that crank was lying around ???
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoration recomendation

gfxgfx
gfx gfx