gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 11:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Which full face helmet?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Which full face helmet?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Which full face helmet?
« on: September 20, 2005, 10:52 PM »
I've decided I need a full-face helmet (too many horror stories, eh RomBloke Dave?) for ramp and skatepark riding - what's best for under a £100?

I want something which doesn't stick out too far at the front and nice and light...what do you know?

Thanks in advance guys!  :)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:

fuzzynod

Re: Which full face helmet?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 11:08 PM »
Hi mate check out ebay always loads of bargains on there my one came in from the states for £35 inc shipping.
This one looks pretty cool though.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNWT-NITRO-MX-410-MOTORCROSS-QUAD-ENDURO-HELMET_W0QQitemZ4574949565QQcategoryZ46161QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jazzchimp

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 11:10 PM »
Think my six six one helmet was about £80 quid but very light and comfy

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 11:20 PM »
Thanks Stidds, Mark and Jazzchimp! Many thanks for the links, they all look good...

Jazzchimp - do you have the 661 Full Comp like this one?

http://www.stifsport.com/gear/select_options.asp?productid=2753

RADHAB

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 11:58 PM »
Looking at a full face meself lately, used to wear a Bell moto 5 in 1989-90 and that was brilliant saved me bonce more than once so gonna go back to a Bell i think.

Found These http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx'referID=overture&manu=Bell& Looked good value but the man you need to ask is Twobobrob he know's his stuff when it comes to bash hats!!! Maybe Rob should have a sticky thread posted somewhere on this subject as it has come up a bit lately?!?!!?

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 12:50 AM »
i know the young un's laugh about these full face jobs and wear them piss pot lids. but im glad i had mine on when i bailed hard at bones.i hit the back of my head real hard. i dont think one of them open face things would have done a thing.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 02:15 AM »
I've decided I need a full-face helmet (too many horror stories, eh RomBloke Dave?) for ramp and skatepark riding - what's best for under a £100?

I want something which doesn't stick out too far at the front and nice and light...what do you know?

Thanks in advance guys!  :)

OK.   Not entirely straightforward, this subject...  However - nice and light I understand, but why mustn't it stick out too far at the front?  Is it a looks thing?

A little background for you.  MX (and subsequently BMX & MTB) fullface lids protrude more at the chinpiece in order to protect the jaw, nose and eyes. A correctly fitting lid will virtually isolate these areas from impact as you gracefully sail over the bars and pile-drive your melon into the concrete.  Road helmets are designed differently primarily to reduce wind resistance, noise and to help the visor seal properly. Also, road crashes are not the same as dirt/ramp slams - the speeds are generally sooo much higher and if you take a head-on hit, it's likely to be curtains for you regardless  :(

Just in case you were wondering, Hoffman wears a Simpson road helmet, with no visor.  I don't know this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was an anatomically-correct lid made just for him  (insurance an all). Simpson are into that kinda thing. I do know he's uninsured if he rides alone or with no lid....

Just to blur the issue even further, once we knew RomBloke was gonna recover OK I mentioned to Shelley that I thought his lack of lid on that day may well have saved him from a broken neck.  The leverages are multiplied somewhat and it's not as uncommon as you might think. She then went on to tell me that the doctors had said exactly the same to her.... :o

Confused?

Did you know skateboarders orginally wore skydive/climbers lids (as made by Protec) for one reason only?  To protect them from their own board when they wilson'd it into the stratosphere whilst riding someone's drained backyard pool.  No other reason, and definately not for crash protection... Overhead risk only - just like skydivers/climbers.

Back to the matter in hand.  My advise is this. Forget your £100 budget, don't let that be your final deciding factor. Truth is, however, you will probably find a decent lid for around that money anyways.

Fit is everything. A badly fitting lid will hurt you in the event of a slam. Bad. Go to a motorbike shop and try on as many as you can. Try if you can to find a salesman who actually knows what he's on about.  Not all brands will suit your noggin so there's a bit of groundwork to do. A correctly fitting lid will not press hard on your forehead, nor will it rotate on your head or lift straight off WITH THE CHINSTRAP UNDONE.  The cheekpads should be snug, pushing reasonably on your cheeks.

Next is material. Avoid polycarbonate at all costs (sometimes called plastic) it's crap. End of.  Fibreglass, carbon/kevlar, hybrids etc are the way to go. These materials will protect you way better, transmitting a lot less of the impact through the lid to your head. The more sophisticated materials tend to be lighter also. Bonus!

Finally comes looks. It's got to look cool, and you have to look cool in it.  I know that sounds corny and shallow but the simple truth is you are much more likely to wear it if you actually like the thing  ;)

I had a Simpson MX lid (way before Hoffman!!!), which was recently shelved after a concussion (fairly big vert slam). I now have a Bell Moto7 which I love. ChrisW has some reservations about this lid as he's broken a couple. I'm of the opinion it's designed to fail that way to absorb shock. Just my opinion though...

Everyone agrees the Arai VX Pro is the daddy. Proper lid in every respect, but you won't be buying one for £100... :'(

The more you try on, the more you will learn, about both helmets and your own head. You may find after a bit of research, a comfortable MTB/BMX race lid.  I have no real knowledge of these and personally wouldn't wear one as I'm into the MX lid thing, but if it's skatepark protection you're primarily after you really should go down the MX lid route.

Hope that helps, give me a shout if you need owt  :)

Jaysus Cheerristtt.......  THAT was a long post..... Sorry chaps..... Anyone still awake??  ;D ;D ;D

Jazzchimp

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 09:12 AM »
Thanks Stidds, Mark and Jazzchimp! Many thanks for the links, they all look good...

Jazzchimp - do you have the 661 Full Comp like this one?

http://www.stifsport.com/gear/select_options.asp?productid=2753

Yep!! it's the blue white combo as you can see.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 09:17 AM »
Bilmey guys - thanks for the speedy feedback!

TwoBob - thanks for the comprehensive reply, I know where your coming from as I also ride motorbikes (street) and can only get on with Shoei helmets for the reasons you described.

I suppose the next stage is to get down to a mx shop and try some on!

Thanks again everyone - any additional help would be really useful.

:)

Offline Romswife

• Team Owner
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 12:07 PM »
i bought daves full face lid from extremesports http://www.extremesports.ltd.uk/mtb/fox-full-face-mtb-helmets.htm which came to about 90 quid with postage (shame he wasnt wearing it that day at rom), but with rhys's one i went to a local motorbike shop and got his from there, it was last years design so got it for £100 instead of £150

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 11:06 AM »
Thanks again all.

I slammed last night on a damp ramp (fool!) - was wearing my piss-pot, but still took a blow to the side of my face...that full face can't come soon enough!!

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 07:34 PM »
dave thats why i did'nt get one. they dont seem safe to me.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Thanks again all.

I slammed last night on a damp ramp (fool!) - was wearing my piss-pot, but still took a blow to the side of my face...that full face can't come soon enough!!

I've seen many riders and skaters knocked bandy by those pisspot lids, check out the cut of the lid by the temple, it's ripe for transmitting the impact straight through, and hey-presto lights out!  :o

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 11:12 PM »

I've seen many riders and skaters knocked bandy by those pisspot lids, check out the cut of the lid by the temple, it's ripe for transmitting the impact straight through, and hey-presto lights out!  :o

Yep - tell me about it...it took a few shakes of the head to get myself going again!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Which full face helmet?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx