gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.  (Read 7532 times)

greentoad

Re: Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2006, 06:28 PM »
Hi

I still only ride old school, and would most likely choose a Haro Sport for a new build as they are longer than a Master, so easier to ride, have the great name of 'Haro' and still look great!

The bent Haro of Billies must of had a serious wipeout and hard landing and the stem was also up a little so that is a fair bend.

Even back in the day, three piece cranks snapped and Skyways broke, but it's pretty damn hard to bend a cheap single peice crank and also to bend an Araya Aero.

Many old bikes that I know of that have been ridden hard are still in one peice and nearly original, as the solid parts and smoothness of the old tricks save any bending.

If you are going for ramps and new tricks, then fair call new school (but for me the bars feel so wrong, they weigh a ton and most have no class or variation) - just my opinion.

J.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2006, 07:38 PM »
just buy what your heart desires, youll learn, your own way eventually. theyre not that dear really. in comparison to a car...
I want to touch ORB

akh666

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2006, 07:53 AM »
Once again thank you.

I think the Haro Master or Sport are now favourite but the Streetbeat is nagging away at me.

We`ll see.

Thanks again..

Oh by the way what sort of price for the above in good nick?

Ta..

mightynimrod

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2006, 08:25 AM »
There's a nice green master complete bike on fleabay for £250 starting bid.

**CLICKY**

madall

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2006, 09:17 AM »
Depends on how much you want too spend buddy,the beats are cheaper and probably stronger, if you want a good beat I have 2 green and a baby blue available.TA's are still great bikes and I havent bent any yet.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:22 AM by MadAll »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Just out of interest, how much do you want for the beats? and are they complete bikes or just f+f?

Cheers Rob  :daumenhoch:

akh666

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2006, 04:54 PM »

**CLICKY**

Is it worth £250? Know the frames good but what about the other components?

Thanks for the info

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2006, 05:00 PM »
For £100 less you could get Weston's street beat.....it's on the bay now with a reserve of £150.......got much better parts (other than the Z's) but much stronger!  it's also in the for sale section........you could always get the grey colour changed??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bmx-skyway-streetbeat-old-school-haro-mongoose_W0QQitemZ190045854459QQihZ009QQcategoryZ22677QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just my oppinion of course  :daumenhoch:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2006, 05:01 PM »

**CLICKY**

Thanks for the info

Yes I would say thats worth £250 easy, its got z rims, Dia compe MX 1000's + a Nos Green 85 Master will cost you about £150+ & its a complete bike so you can ride it now & get better parts if you want later.

akh666

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2006, 05:10 PM »

**CLICKY**

Thanks for the info

Yes I would say thats worth £250 easy, its got z rims, Dia compe MX 1000's + a Nos Green 85 Master will cost you about £150+ & its a complete bike so you can ride it now & get better parts if you want later.

Given the choice of the Master or Streetbeat what is the best option for an all round rider. I am now confused as I have a few options but don`t know which way to turn. My heart says Haro but again the Beat is a tempting one. Again excuse my rustiness please, its been a while.

Thanks again

greentoad

« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Hi

It's called a 'Master' for a reason  ;), you got to love them.

J.

madall

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Disagree there the beat is as good as it gets, just remeber Neil Ruffel and Carlo Grigs

greentoad

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2006, 05:19 PM »
You got to love Rad -

Disagree there the beat is as good as it gets, just remeber Neil Ruffel and Carlo Grigs

And lets not forget 'Bob'.

;)

J.

Trev

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2006, 05:20 PM »

and Craig Campbell, Mike Canning, Pepi Winder, Scott Freeman, Karl Denton, Scott Carroll....

akh666

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2006, 05:21 PM »

So how much for the Beats then mate. Are they riders?

Quote me happy.

Jesus this bike buying lark is hard work. I am useless at making decisions.

Ta

Offline Maurice Meyer

• BMX Legend
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2006, 06:53 PM »
Between the master and the Street Beat, I'd say flip a coin or pick the one with the nicest color.  You'll have a blast and can't really go wrong with either of those assuming that's the size you like - both are fairly short.

I got back on in like '98 or so and put together an old Street Beat then found I liked riding the new parks.  Upgraded to new school stuff and it sure made a difference in the parks.  But, when I'm outside screwing around in the parking lot it feel like I'm throwing a pig around.  So, just a few nights ago I started putting together a scrounge rider Street Beat from parts in the garage.  I plan to use this bike when I take my 2 1/2 year old to the park.  Looking forward to: the frame platform, the quicker steering, shorter wheelbase, the lighter weight, the taller bars, a seat height you can actually sit on and hold with the bars X-ed for side glides.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2006, 10:44 AM »

**CLICKY**

Thanks for the info

Given the choice of the Master or Streetbeat what is the best option for an all round rider. I am now confused as I have a few options but don`t know which way to turn. My heart says Haro but again the Beat is a tempting one. Again excuse my rustiness please, its been a while.

Thanks again

My guess is....if your heart says Haro (and you can afford it) then go with your heart.......the Beat is great (i would say that i have one) but if its a Haro you've always wanted....then you'll only kick yourself if you don't get one.

Not to get back on the Old school/New school thing.....you could buy one of the 06 Haro sports? that way you have a retro feel but a new school toughness??

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx