gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 11:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Isle of Wight back in the day
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Isle of Wight back in the day  (Read 5316 times)

steve1275

Isle of Wight back in the day
« on: October 11, 2006, 11:09 PM »
well after racing on the island for a couple of years at the track at brickfields equestrian center, and then robin hill.. most people had given up. but a small group of us kept riding and got into freestyle, we had use of the quarter pipes owned by the island club and we had to ride from newport to ryde ,about six miles, to use them.. but it was fun..
 my mate has recently come across some pics of me back in 83,84 on the island.. so if there is anyone who may have raced on the island bitd may reconise the ramps. enjoy  steve :daumenhoch:

my mates ian and eddie stoked with there rides

me on my torker mx

me airing my torker, sporting a little mullet :LolLolLolLol:

me on the nice quarter 1984

a year before on sketchy quarter

old skool doubles

22 years later :LolLolLolLol:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Isle of Wight back in the day
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 11:10 PM »
I love these old skool photo's  :daumenhoch:

Trev

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 11:11 PM »
cool pics. it's great seeing old school pics  :daumenhoch:

DR VINOAH

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 11:21 PM »
ace pix :4_17_5:

who was the lucky owner of the ripper in  pic 6?

love them old sketchy 1/4 pipes :4_17_5:

ronnie360

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 11:30 PM »
great pics i had a 1/4 like that bits of wood here and there it was great

we had a lot of great days on it,then we made a proper one and you soon see

how much better the good one was  :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 09:09 AM »

steve
in the first photo which one is you, i find it very hard to reconise you without facial hair

MeddlE

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 10:24 AM »

steve
in the first photo which one is you, i find it very hard to reconise you without facial hair

Neither, it clearly states "my mates ian and eddie"! ;D  Must be your age. ;)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 11:02 AM »

steve

Neither, it clearly states "my mates ian and eddie"! ;D  Must be your age. ;)

i'll get my coat

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:16 PM »
cool pics steve :)

wish i had more from back in the day, kids nowadays have it easy, theyve got phones with cameras and video on - my camera was massive - could hardly take it out riding :LolLolLolLol:

Trev

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 05:49 PM »

steve1275

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 06:08 PM »
the pk ripper in pic 6 was the envy of all of us bitd, the guy who owned it was the son of the couple that ran the club.  I think it got stolen at one point and it was found covered in cement, :'( what a bummer.
I am in the process of trying to track down a few of the guys i used to ride with as i am sure there will be some bikes lurking around.  one guy who gave up had a kuwahara laserlite, orange vincent airzone, cc prolite.. he just stopped riding one day.  i have thoughts of those bikes just rotting away in his mums shed. I tried calling in last time i was on the island and the house looked the same, and i could see the same shed from 20years ago, but there was no answer. So maybe next time..

steve :daumenhoch:

andy619

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 02:42 PM »
Great pics Steve :daumenhoch:  Where is that skatepark in the last picture?

spinmaster

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 02:54 PM »
cool pics. andy that is southsea in the last pic

Holmesy

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 11:24 PM »
Hi Steve hopefully you're still accessing this site. Saw the posts and pics and had to reply. I was the owner of the ripper and if I'm not mistaken thats Ian Read and Eddie Cave in the picture. I seem to remember that you three guys were very tight and always hanging about together.

The ripper did get pinched and covered in cement you're right. Do you remember the demos we used to put on on that sketchy quarter, we still drew good crowds as I remember. My brother Andy did some work recently with dc and so we were lucky enough to get our hands on some bikes. I think he got a dc quadangle and I got a dc ripper, which were both released in limited numbers as a hook up with se racing. He also has a floval flyer so really got bitten by the se bug. There's a haro race bike languishing somewhere too I'm ashamed to say they're all in storage and the dc stuff has never even been built  :-[

Great to see the pics of you all, brought back some fantastic memories, I still have some racing pics and more of the same set from the show with the sketchy quarter if I can find them I'll post em up here one day. Let me know if you're still in touch with any of the guys, where yr at etc etc, it'd be good to hear from you.

Cheers for the trip down memory lane  :)

steve1275

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13 AM »
God Damn,
 I posted this 5 years ago, so stoked to see it again, good to hear from you Neil, have emailed you . Would be amazing to see more old isle of wight pics, think they are getting some concrete over there soon but also have the skatepark at Ryde and plenty of cool unknown spots that are fun..

stoked
steve :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 10:26 AM »
Super cool thread guys, keep it going if you can and please, lets have some more pics  :coolsmiley:  :daumenhoch:

Awesome!
BANNED

mr p.k.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Top pics mate :daumenhoch:

lusky75

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Great pics... Lovely mini van.. ::)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Isle of Wight back in the day

gfxgfx
gfx gfx