gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ok bmx eggheads
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ok bmx eggheads  (Read 809 times)

selfpreservation

ok bmx eggheads
« on: October 03, 2006, 05:43 PM »
heres a question for you

i bought a new chain and its longer than the one it replaced my wheel is now farther back than it was before by about 20mm

this effectively changes the wheelbase of the bike

how does this affect the ride seeing as there is about 90mm scope for moving the wheel about in the dropouts surely the extremes will have a pretty drastic effect on the handling.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: ok bmx eggheads
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 05:45 PM »
Egg head ehh? oh well you must have seen pics....

By moving the back wheel you can alter the wheelbase, thus making it easier or harder to wheelie, if the rear drop outs are not horizontal it may also alter the rake of the forks I think!!!!!!!
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 05:46 PM »
longer wheel base is sturdy in they air, short makes it twitchy  but wouldnt matter to much just take a link out all will be back to normal or a bigger front gear.

selfpreservation

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:56 PM »
no i quite like it (covers the marks on the dropouts so i reckon its the correct length now ) it just got me thinking
has leary or fiola ever blamed a defeat on his chain being too long/short and stormed off in a hissy bitch fit , what i mean is , is it a consideration when building a bmx most bike have fixed dropouts racers mtbs ect in my experience so moving the rear wheel effectively changes the geometry of the bike   does the slotted drop out have a practical application eg small riders front of the drop out big riders back o the drop out? , i cant see a reason why you would want a bike to be unstable in the air so why include a slotted dropout

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 06:02 PM »
no i quite like it (covers the marks on the dropouts so i reckon its the correct length now ) it just got me thinking
has leary or fiola ever blamed a defeat on his chain being too long/short and stormed off in a hissy bitch fit , what i mean is , is it a consideration when building a bmx most bike have fixed dropouts racers mtbs ect in my experience so moving the rear wheel effectively changes the geometry of the bike   does the slotted drop out have a practical application eg small riders front of the drop out big riders back o the drop out? , i cant see a reason why you would want a bike to be unstable in the air so why include a slotted dropout

I suspect it's so you can change your chainwheel for smaller/larger without having to lengthen/shorten your chain  ;)

selfpreservation

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 06:06 PM »

I suspect it's so you can change your chainwheel for smaller/larger without having to lengthen/shorten your chain  ;)

that never occurred to me , so where do you put the wheel, in the middle of the droupout?

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 08:00 PM »
90mm of adjustment?
thems some big ass dropouts

run the back end as short as possible

selfpreservation

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 08:53 PM »
90mm of adjustment?
thems some big ass dropouts

run the back end as short as possible
yeah i fooked up my inches to metric i meant about 75mm 3in as opposed to 90mm 3.5in

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ok bmx eggheads

gfxgfx
gfx gfx