gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  headset probs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: headset probs  (Read 1646 times)

othomas2

headset probs
« on: September 30, 2006, 02:40 PM »
I've got a tange heaset and whatever I try and do it brings back movement with a rigerous shake of the front wheel&  with the brake on.

Any suggestions ?

The open side of the bearing casing point outwards right ? towards wheels and bars...

Please help.

I've done this many times but it's doiing my head in this time..

othomas2

Re: headset probs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:59 PM »
Right... the bearings are shagged... but I have replacements.  :)

Do the headset bearings bearings face outwards ? i.e. The side of the casing  showing a full bearing

Quick reply needed please.  ;) ?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 03:27 PM by othomas2 »

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 03:44 PM »
just realised they maybe round other way on tange at the top.is the top cup out board bearing type,where the bearings sit on the top cup and not in conventional way inside cup

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 04:05 PM »
just realised they maybe round other way on tange at the top.is the top cup out board bearing type,where the bearings sit on the top cup and not in conventional way inside cup

:LolLolLolLol: what?
ding dong

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 04:15 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: i do have brain damage  :LolLolLolLol:

othomas2

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 04:32 PM »
I'm not sure...  :-[ erm... I'll take a photo but it's all together now.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 04:33 PM »
play around with the bearings owen, i can never remember the way they go but sounds like they are round the wrong way lol

Rich

othomas2

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 04:46 PM »
Both set of bearings are facing outwards. Do these pics help ?  :-\

Goose1

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 04:49 PM »
No they don't....the best way O is to sit the bearing cup on top of the bearings whilst holding them in your fingers, then spin......the correct way will spin the free-est and fastest and for the longest time..... :idiot2:

Hope you can make sense of that???

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 04:49 PM »
turn the top bearings over then

othomas2

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 04:56 PM »
So top bearing open end facing down then ? Same as the bottom one.

Is that definately correct ?

Thanks for your help.  :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 04:58 PM »
yes bottom as standard ,top bearings facing u .so they are actually on bike the same way round open bearing side both facing the ground.

othomas2

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 05:03 PM »
yes bottom as standard ,top bearings facing u .so they are actually on bike the same way round open bearing side both facing the ground.

I will switch it round then.

What do you mean by 'top bearings facing you' ?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 05:10 PM »
just turn top one over it will be correct

othomas2

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 05:18 PM »
 ;) ... almost there....  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 05:21 PM »
the "closed" side should allways be facing away from the cup for obvious reasons(balls against cup). the cone that sits in the middle of the bearings to form a clamp is not affected by the closed side as it sits in the middle away from the closed bit.
ding dong

othomas2

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 05:46 PM »
I think I'm hit with a new problem. I swapped the bearings over for some diamondback ones. They appear to be the same, but if they are slightly different size. i.e. smaller. There's no way I'm going to be able tighen the friggin thing up and stop the movement..  :tickedoff:

duncan

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Have you tried loose bearings?
Bit messy to assemble, but might let you get extra ones in to stop movement.

If you're careful you can pop them out of the races without bending them, and re-use the race at a later date if this doesn't work.

othomas2

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 06:30 PM »
I think what has happened is the races themselves have slipped off the circular runner part of the headset( attached to the forks)  jamming everything up and therfore buckling the races.

So Duncan, I could use the bearings themselves on there own ???

duncan

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 06:41 PM »
I'm guessing you could, I know nothing about newschool headsets but if it's a regular oldschool frame, fork & headset you should be able to.

Put grease in the bearing cups and stick the bearings into it, then carefully slide in the forks.
Watch the bearings don't fall out before you tighten up the headset.
You might be able to tighten down a little more, and/or get a little more spread from the bearings if they're loose, which might take away the movement.

Be careful you don't kink the races though if you remove the bearings (though I spotted you say they're already a bit out-of-shape).

Edit>> I should've added I'm not sure there will be enough bearings from one race when they're loose, there may well be, just you might want to put an extra one or two in - see how it goes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 06:47 PM by duncan »

Goose1

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 06:48 PM »
Owen, you're such a plum :LolLolLolLol:

othomas2

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 07:01 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: Cheers goose.

Right I've not had a problem with headsets in the past... just this one seems to be wanting to be replaced ... not as functional as it used to be. It was all fine till I heard a rattle in the forks... it was bugging me a lot.  ;D So I pulled the whole bike apart and spent ages shaking the forks untill a little piece rusted metal came out... hurrah...  :)

So the problem occured when I tried to put the bike back together. Not a problem. I think I went wrong by not keeping the forks straight enough as I tightened the headset up. And then after doing a little endo in the living room that's gone a fooked up the bearing race.

But anyways... I've pulled the front end apart for the forth time today. And looked in detail how the new bearing race sat in the headset. It kept teetering off of it. But when I turned it upside down it sat on there perfectly. Sooooo, At the moment I have both bearings facing inwards.  :2funny: And everything has gone according to plan and is functioning without any unwanted movement.

This is good but now the bottom race isn't the correct way round. I've been thinkin about leaving it unridden as a nice museum piece so perhaps it's time for it to retire ? Or will it be fine to ride it with these changes ?

Or what do you reckon I should do.. ?

Again thanks for your help & time chaps...  :daumenhoch:

Plum

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:04 PM by othomas2 »

bof

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 05:14 PM »
You have to be real careful with these headsets the top bearing goes in the opposite way to a normal headset. Bearings are normally opposed but in this headset they face the same way. Also it is extremely easy to strip the threads in the top cup resulting in you never being able to tighten up your headset. If you have ridden it with a looose headset you may have stripped it.

othomas2

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 06:08 PM »
Cheers for the advice bof. I took it for a spin last night and the headset started to come loose again, so I decided to do what duncan suggested below suggested earlier in the thread.

Have you tried loose bearings?
Bit messy to assemble, but might let you get extra ones in to stop movement.

If you're careful you can pop them out of the races without bending them, and re-use the race at a later date if this doesn't work.

Put grease in the bearing cups and stick the bearings into it, then carefully slide in the forks.
Watch the bearings don't fall out before you tighten up the headset.
You might be able to tighten down a little more, and/or get a little more spread from the bearings if they're loose, which might take away the movement.

Be careful you don't kink the races though if you remove the bearings (though I spotted you say they're already a bit out-of-shape).

Edit>> I should've added I'm not sure there will be enough bearings from one race when they're loose, there may well be, just you might want to put an extra one or two in - see how it goes.

It has come good, All tightened up, nice freely moving bars. Couldn't be better.  :) Time will tell though  :LolLolLolLol: But so far so good.

bof

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 05:26 PM »
You need to make sure you have plenty of bearings in each cup,  if you have gone down that route then you must almost  fill the cup up with bearings and grease, I would leave space for 2 ball bearings. 1 set of bearings out of a cage will be nowhere near enough, I think you will need at least 2 sets of stripped sets caged bearings to fill a headset cup. Hope this helps cheers

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  headset probs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx