gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 09:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Why don't Vans smell like they used to?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Why don't Vans smell like they used to?  (Read 3190 times)

chris laney

Why don't Vans smell like they used to?
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:01 PM »
Why do companies change whats already perfect!!!!! I picked up a pair of Vans recentley & they've change! They used to smell lush & feel wicked anyone agree?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:06 PM by raddad »

DR VINOAH

Re: Why don't Vans smell like they used to?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 10:04 PM »
way back when they were made in the shop

they had a particular funk to them

nowadays they just smell like singapore

chris laney

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 10:07 PM »
I'm gutted I chucked all my gear when I gave up late 89. Should have kept a pair for old time sake.

bsdforever

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 10:14 PM »
they used to be made in California and now they're made in Korea or somewhere else in the far east

I think Vans was sold to a big conglomerate in the early 90s
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:16 PM by bsdforever »

Bren Gunn

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 10:16 PM »
You need Vans LX (come in a black & silver box)... they is extra comfy  :daumenhoch: not sure on the pong though ???

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Vans nearly went bust several times trying to maintain the "Made in the USA" kudos, in the end they had to move production to the Phillipines and probably China now in order to survive and lower mfg costs.  Still, I'm glad they did as they're the best trainers I've ever owned since I started skating back in 1976/77 and I'm proud to say I've never not owned a pair since. If they had gone bust I have no idea what trainers I'd be wearing right now  :-\

You're right about the smell though, defo don't smell like they used to, but now I don't wear them to death everyday as I rotate them the natural smell isn't quite so strong  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 07:28 AM »
best footwear ever,could never afford them when i was a kid,but since i'm all grown up now i've got loads,mine smell bad anyway 'cos i don't wear socks :buck2:

priv

Coastvl

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 09:51 AM »
I wish I still had these babies. Sadly they died a horrible death. Smelt like it too!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 12:02 PM »
I had a pair BITD, but don't have any now, I might go & get some tonight  :)

I will let you know how they smell  ;)

Jim

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 12:42 PM »
I think they're owned br Wrangler now. Don't know if that makes 'em any less cool? I couldn't give a toss either way. My stinky Cardiels still kick ass - although I do have to rescue them from the bin once a month where the wife tries to lob them out. Recently started to see emo kids all wearing chequered slip ons... Didn't you used to be able to buy custom print ones?

DR VINOAH

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 01:35 PM »
you could customize ya vans bitd

all sorts of crazy colours,materials,logo,s

i still have one order form from the good ole 80,s.

when i was wheeling and dealing in vintage clothes in the 90,s/00,s

there was a likkle shop in tisbury court SOHO,owned by "barnsley"

he had all sorts of bmx gear from SE to Torker,and vans in their boxes ,customized , deadstock,unworn

for a fiver a pair

did i buy any of it ,

no :'(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 03:14 PM by Sanmarcopizza »

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Yep the newer ones are a different shape , the sole is much thinner the canvas is a very thin layer of colored stuff and then natural colored canvas , all in all the new ones are crap compared to the USA made ones and last a fraction of the time ( i am talkin slip ons and style 95s) the LX are better but still a different shape

yes BITD you could get bespoke ones made , and VANS in the USA do a custom option , but do not ship to the UK  :daumenhoch:

I have had a few conversations with vans in the Uk and all i can say is they are pretty clueless as to the history behind the shoes and do not want to release any old colourways as signature shoes IE: PK ripper vans in SE colours as this does not fit in with the " Brand " image wtf

yet are happy to release utter crap in this country and not bother to import the ltd edition stuff availiable in europe and the USA

I pretty much now think that VANS are complete toss and the company is utter full of shite. No connection with thier roots and no connection with the faithfull vans wearer.

even the flagship london store sells the same old crap i can buy in any shoe shop , I find better vans on german ebay than in the best vans shop in the country.

so i refuse to buy any vans in this country anymore as Vans UK is proper rubbish.

PS I collect them so am a bit anal on them LOL

My best pairs are an original pair of NOS slip ons in red/black/blue check , a set of USA made high tops , and a pair of limited edition paul frank julius slip ons.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 06:32 PM »

rich you found me some stars and stripe high tops yet?

duncan

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 06:50 PM »
I could never afford them in the 80's, they were £30 back then which was a lot more in today's money.
Some of us used to get those cheap copies with the floral patterns, we would look for ones with a waffle sole like real Vans.

I got some Camo ones about 7 years ago, new style, wish they still made them.
Have a new checked pair, but the check isn't in the same place as the old ones.

These are about 5 years old I think, just holding together:

P0LL0

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 01:33 AM »
I lost my favourite ones recently in the great barn fire of 2006..............i miss those style 95's that smelt of pig sh!t  :'(

mark j

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 03:30 AM »
The soles used to  feel like they had vaseline on when fresh out the box, the rubber feels alot more perishible now. At McArthur Glen factory outlet park in Bridgend near Cardiff is a Vans store, the managers a good lad, knows his onions and saves me the nice stuff. I've had chukka boots, slip ons and old schools for as cheap as a fiver, boots about £15- £20. Got about 30 pairs that I've never worn. The Alva reissue boots that came out with the dogtown film are a bit of a favourite.  The ones in my avatar pic are quite mint, about 25 years old.......They could do with doing some proper reissues though with the different checker colourways etc. Anyway I'm off to bed.....going to see my mummy in cardiff tomorrow and the nice man at the vans shop  :)

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 04:06 AM »
Anyway I'm off to bed.....

lightweight :)

DR VINOAH

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 05:33 PM »
van doren rubber co advert from 84

enjoy.....................

jeff spicoli

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 06:29 PM »
I have a pair and one was made in taiwan and the other Korea. Thats Cheshire oaks for ya. You can tell if you look close they are different :shocked:

digitaltransfer

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 06:40 PM »
I know exactly what you mean I was selling loads of pairs and they just do not smell the same eanymore,  good job I saved some cheq ones from the 80s, does anyone have any old parts they wanna sell I am doing up a few of my bikes I have an 84 GT pro series, CW racing, profile and hutch that I am doing up, also just bought a 80s DK stem and GT sealded double hub if anyone is interested.

Gota few other part GT power discs, cranks wheels and bars email if interested obviously I will be putting the finished articals on Vinage.com etc.. but need more bikes and parts

Thanks

R

chris laney

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one with a nostalgic sense of smell then!! The feel of the sole when brand new, as someone else mentioned was all slippy & was real thick. My favorites were a pair of light blue chukka boots circa 88 man they were the dogs!!!!
I'm gonna check ebay for a pair of originals anyone got any advice? Love you all :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 06:16 PM »
wearable 80s vans go for a fair bit , a size 9 check went for 170 bucks used condition  ebay USA is the place for them

Rich

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 07:03 PM »
You can't bet the classic Style 95 in Red and Blue like in the advert - I've looked everywhere for a pair of those  :-\

Looks like a Variflex Eric Grisham deck up against the wall  ;)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

trill

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 07:06 PM »
van doren rubber co advert from 84

enjoy.....................

those brown hi-tops look cool,wise they would re-issue them.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 11:32 AM »
They re released the red / blue 95 under the dogtown banner , along with light blue/ dark blue about 3 /4 years ago

the 95 is now called the ERA and does come in some colourways from bitd , us ebay or europe . VANS keep changing which ERAS are released so you may be lucky

Rich

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Why don't Vans smell like they used to?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx