gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975723 Posts in 138932 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie August 21, 2024, 07:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tales from the vault. The SGX.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tales from the vault. The SGX.  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Tales from the vault. The SGX.
« on: July 15, 2024, 02:53 PM »
Wow.

This is one of those ones that I never thought would happen.

This one carries some pretty strong emotions too.

Picture the year. It was 1998. The new millennium awaited, and people were excited yet a bit afraid. No one knew why, but yeah  :LolLolLolLol:

Well at that time I worked in a computer shop in SW London. We used to host our own email servers for the local schools and businesses, and at the time I was in charge of keeping them up. No mean feat back then ! what it did do, however, was given me access to the internet all day and it was fast. ISDN, so 3x faster than dial up.

And that was where I met who would become my first wife.

Well in 2000 (we wanted to play it properly and not get stupid) she came to stay with me in the UK. She was in London for 3 months and hated it. I knew she would !  :LolLolLolLol: Well at the end of 2k (October 3rd) I flew out to the USA. She decided she did not want to live in London (I don't blame her) and I was going to fly out there for 3 months and see how I liked it. I loved it. Why wouldn't I? space, clean air, and lots of fun.

So we decided that was where we were going to be. We flew back to the UK and I returned to work, and she stayed at home with the chipmunks we got. She would come up at lunch. Any way, whilst I was out there the first time I had a terrible BMX wreck. I mean, really bad.

My brother paid for freight on a bike. She had me get rid of my Mirra Pro (2000) and get a race bike. As we both agreed it would be safer. Yeah ! safer my arse  :LolLolLolLol:

Three days after arriving in the USA it landed at Phila cargo dept. She drove me there to get it, as it was 85f and beautiful and I wanted to ride. The bike was a NOS 84 PK Ripper in gold. With gold LG, NOS ACS Z in blue and Primo Powerbites. I built it, but one of the lock nuts for the rear wheel was missing (Gsport 50p). I was so desperate to ride I rode it any way. I flew up the drive from the barn (far left, big building) and got to the street. I then turned left, and I really gave it some. I was flying. At this moment the back wheel slipped, the chain jammed and I went flying. Straight over the bars. All I had on was shorts (no top, nothing else). I landed in the road full force on my right elbow with 14 stone behind it. It wasn't pretty. My elbow exploded, tearing all of the skin away from it and the bone was gouged something awful.

I just remember lying there groaning and winded before being scooped up by the neighbour and driven back to the house. My mother in law said "Let me see it" and winced. She said "Oh no, that's bad" and I was encouraged not to look at it in case I went into shock.

This is where I lived.

As you can see the road is basically sharp flint thrown into asphalt. They do this so that the tractors can grip in winter. However, it did a job on me. A bad job. So yeah, we put a flannel over my elbow and went off to the hospital. I remember a black guy sitting outside and said "Hey brother, you're leaking !" and when I turned around there was a huge trail of blood.

The first thing they did was obviously give me lots of injections. I then had to lay prone on the operating table whilst they attempted to repair it. This involved them cutting off lots of skin with scissors before ramming their fingers down inside my arm with tons of iodine. They then fitted a rubber tube about 6" down into my arm so that it could drain, and sewed it up around the tube. However, this took them so long that the injections wore off and for the last five stitches I could feel it. God it was bad  :LolLolLolLol:

I then returned home feeling awful sorry for myself. When I got back to the USA I sold the PK Ripper to a guy in Dallas for $700 over  Yahoo auctions. This was over double the £300 I paid for it. I returned to the UK for 6 months to do the fiancee visa, and when I returned I got my first wedding present from one of my wife's friends.

Cooker. AKA, Cooking  Fat, or "Fookin cat". He was an F1 bengal, and would have had a price tag over 20 thousand dollars. But he had a flat rib cage. This was not a problem, because he was a gift any way, but yeah, he would not have been saleable so they gave him to me. Best pet I have ever had. Loved the absolute snot out of the "little" sod. By little I mean like the biggest cat you have ever seen.

Those photos were taken one year apart, at the same house in the pic. So were these.

At 8 weeks he was the size of a normal house cat. After a year? he was a machine.

Think small pit bull in stature and strength, only with a fist full of razor blades. He was so big and powerful we had to let him live outside. Where he would kill anything he could get his claws on. Wild turkeys, and even one day he dragged a buzzard up the drive to leave for me. I am not even lying. That is why his nickname was "killer".

So yeah. As I settled in to living out there I started to get bored. I could not work yet, or drive, so I decided to get another bike. No street, however I got this.

Not mine, but identical. It is called a Mongoose SGX. Basically it was the 10th iteration of the  Supergoose. Hence the name. My one was a 2001 as per the pic. It had ICT and etc. Any way the following summer I got over my fear (I was shaking the first time I rode it) and dug some jumps with the digger. The main field used to be fenced in like this.

As they had horses. Well over to the right of that pic there was a 12ft part that was not fenced in and I used to have to cut the entire thing on the ride along mower. Well as I was doing so I discovered my brother in law had once dug some dirt jumps there. I found this out when almost getting thrown out of the mower  :LolLolLolLol: so I asked if I could rebuild them. Family agreed. I spent that summer jumping my ass off. God that was a good fookin summer. Mum came to visit that year too.

So yeah, very fond memories of my SGX. Sadly I had to sell it to fund my first ever car, so it got sold. I've always wanted another one. Problem is whilst not terribly valuable (I don't know why, they are really nicely made) they are hard to find. Especially here in the UK.

Well yesterday this popped up on FB.

It is the year prior to mine.

Not sure if it was the pro model or just the regular one, but the cranks on it say Pro to me. Cost? 30 quid. So I bought it.

I then bought some stickers for 8 quid from Spain. That is posted btw.

Another frame resto for  another day. No more completes, but if I fall in love I may break down my Fatboy. We will see.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Tales from the vault. The SGX.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 01:38 PM »
A slight twist. I think it isn't a SGX. Well it is, but it isn't.

That sounds confusing, but in 1998 the SGX was still the Supergoose. Looking closely at it you can tell it has been spray bombed. However, I can see white.

Pearl white to be exact. There is no other difference, just the name.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 02:42 PM »
OK so I decided to do a full build on this. I want to do a restomod.

The first task was finding wheels for it. I put kinda janky wheels on my Fatboy, I did not want to do the same here. Yesterday I looked on a Ebay seller's page. I have bought tons of stuff from him over the years, mostly killer mid school NOS parts (like the triple wall Kinlin rims on my Morales and Pork) as well as the RC cranks on the Morales and Jane.

He had something that caught my eye. See, about a month ago I saw a set of Box One race wheels. They were five hundred quid. *gulp*. I made an offer of 390, it was refused. Oh well. Any way, this guy I buy from a lot had a set of rims. One has some rubbing on the logo (front one) but not enough to put me off.

The anno is absolutely fine. The rear? was mint.

So, I had a dig through his stuff and found two suitable hubs. Neither sealed, but both good quality. Bit of to and fro and he said 120 quid for the wheels built on chrome spokes. Got up this morning and he had already built them LOL.

Gorgeous. I got a brake on Ali for 12 quid shipped.

And a box plate.

Note I also got those pink decals. So you may be wondering what in the buggery is going on here. Well....

See, I have a set of mint Landing Gear mid school forks. They have 990 mounts but I am going to take them off. I also have a set of pristine SNAFU bars, so again those will get painted in the same colourway. Like, the frame, bars and fork are all going to be in colour with the frame.

A lot of work, and I doubt it will happen this year, but hey it will happen.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 01:26 PM »
The perfect cranks for a pink and blue bike don't exist........

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2024, 01:12 PM »
Beauty, and an aluminium BEAST.

I also have pedals for it too.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2024, 04:58 PM »
Parts have arrived. Wheels are beautiful. Only one logo is damaged, but there is a good side so I think I will leave it tbh.

Rebuilt the pedals also.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2024, 12:11 PM »
Love the cat :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2024, 12:13 PM »
Love the cat :daumenhoch:

F1 bengal. My wedding present.

He was a real character.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2024, 05:01 PM »
I bought all the parts. It will be another two weeks before I can buy the paints (expensive this one, over a ton I reckon). Any way, whilst I am away from the bikes it gives me more time to find the parts and get ready.

I wanted some tyres. I have a set of Vandoorm comp 3 but they look cheap due to the logo. You can get the logos off, but the cost of the acetone and sand paper would make it not worthwhile, besides all of the shitty hard work.

I started looking. I could go two ways here. Either cutting edge (Powerblock or FastrX) or mid school. Mid school are difficult to find in reasonable shape, and I want this show class. I then stumbled upon these.

I had never heard of them. There is a reason for that....

Now obviously we have all heard of Maxxis. They were huge players in the mid school. Mostly for things like the Maxx Daddy, Holy Roller, Grifter and etc. However those? I had never even heard of. What I did like was that the sides are like the Maxx Daddy, so clearly for dirt and race.

Yet they have diamond like flat parts. The big tell tale here though was what was missing. See, recently (well about two years ago) I bought some Hookworms. For my Morales, like. And those have a different logo (multi coloured in the mid school) and the lack of "Maxxis.com". That only came about (the dot com part) in around 2003. So the fact these were missing that made me want them. So I bought the pair, 30 quid. Which is less than one new repop Maxxis, and less than one Powerblock or FastrX.

Turns out they made them until 1996. So they are indeed bonafide NOS mid school rubber. Siiiick !

OK so moving on. The next thing I needed was a "basically 30mm" freewheel. IE, the small side of a flip flop. I found one, NOS, on a FB group (midschool one) for a tenner posted. Bought.

With that sorted I had two options. Use a new school stem that needs some work, or find a mid school one. Problem is actual race stems from the mid school are very hard to find. I did, however, find one !

And ironically it is identical (almost) to the stem on my GT Speed series. This one is older though, and the sides are not CNC out. The only issue? someone tried to remove the stem and rounded out two bolts. Two moved, two did not. The problem is that the stem being a USA made model uses UNC bolts. And people do not realise this and then insert a metric allen which doesn't fit and rounds out bolts. This initially put me off. However, I spotted that the bars were uncut mint examples of some very early Demolitions, and the grips are ODI Roughneck lock on.

I hesitated and the guy messaged me and said he would send me the whole lot for 30 quid posted. The stem is worth more than that !. At first I again refused, and then I remembered the poor Eastern Jane.

I hate those bars. I hate all 4pc and they should be burned in fire ! so I will put the Demos on there.

Last thing needed, a headset. In blue.

It is kinda a rip off of the Box Components logo.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2024, 12:51 PM »
OK, down the rabbit hole we go.

For some reason (god knows) I *thought* that the stem was the same as the silver one I have on my GT. I don't know why I thought that, I suppose because they are slightly similar? however it was a case of me not seeing the silver one in about two weeks, and then seeing the black one.

However, when I had a look they are not alike at all.

This is the Crupi on the GT.

And basically? they are nothing alike. The silver one is somewhat recent (last decade or so). However, note what is amiss. "Crupi USA". The silver one? is obviously not U.S made. I suppose as a last hurrah they went overseas. However, the black one? well not only does it say "Crupi USA" meaning it *is* U.S made it also has those lines around it, and the side body is not machined out. I would suppose that is why the silver one is called an "I beam". However, yeah they are totally different.

This left me somewhat confused so I started to dig. And I found out that the black stem is not an I beam at all. It is called a Crupi Groove stem. More digging revealed it was made in 1998. So the halo era for Crupi.

Does that make it valuable?

Yes, yes it does. Not Crupi trap valuable but still, way above and beyond the 30 quid posted I paid for the black stem, those uncut Demolition bars (which are now looking like they are way older than I thought they were !) and a set of Roughnecks.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2024, 12:24 PM »
More things I forgot.

First up a brake lever. A very expensive brake lever  :LolLolLolLol:

And.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2024, 06:28 PM »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2024, 03:44 PM »
Things in. Badge and brake cable.

The seat post is annoying, at 26.8. So I will have to cut this down a lot.

I bought this, too.

The ever growing box o parts.

I got down the last of it from the loft a couple of nights back. It has just been too hot to do anything much more.

And yesterday I set about the fork, turning it from a 990 Freestyle LG to a race one.

Also removed the cable holder.

The decals are now gone (just did that about 10 mins back no pic) so they are ready for prep and paint.

I fixed the problem with the stem yesterday too.

Basically when you tighten the bolts down it creates a lip inside the cap which holds onto the bolts. Making them extremely hard to get them out (as they are fighting in two threads). I just drilled them out a .5mm over, so they go in and out very smoothly.

I then ordered four wheel nuts (wheels didn't have any). Could only get brown in 3/8, but that is fine.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2024, 05:36 PM »
Mo parts.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2024, 02:08 PM »
Bought these. Right colours, NOS apparently. Number plate decals fo sho.

Finally found some decent pics of the decals.

So draw....

And also after about ten attempts I was not happy with.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2024, 12:15 PM »
Full set. And, a sign of age. I knew it was the 25th anniversary Goose. When I counted back... 1974. The year I was born. I feel old  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2024, 03:43 PM »
Work work work.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2024, 01:19 PM »
This took me 5 hours. I was in the shade, but am sun burned pretty bad for some reason.

I was chasing perfection. I got it, though.

Mercifully it is alu, so I did not have to spend another two hours putting the primer on yesterday. It is now too hot (28 here) so I am having a day off. Shoulder is fugged any way.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2024, 09:14 PM »
Primer and filler primer.

And ordered the paints.

OUCHO  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2024, 06:46 PM »

And then....

Until finally......

I also made a discovery.

See, a few years ago I bought a very expensive printer that uses thermal ink. It was expensive because it can print A3. Huge ass sheets. The problem? was the media. Ie, the paper. It was terrible. Thin, looked good until you put the sticker down and then it got washed out by the colour behind it. That meant I used to have to print them, line the back with white vinyl and then laminate. Meaning they were very thick, and refused to stay stuck down. Soul destroying.

I then found out after wondering for years if I could print on decent vinyl if they made such a thing. Turns out they do.

IDK how long that has been available but it ain't long.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2024, 05:30 PM »
Started raining before I started the clear coat ffs.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2024, 03:17 PM »

The front wheel is sorted too. The logos on one side were rubbed badly.

Isoprop and paper towel.

Other side was always perfect.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2024, 11:29 AM »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2024, 04:53 PM »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2024, 07:18 PM »
Let's fookin go.

Sticker party at my place  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tales from the vault. The SGX.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx