gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano freewheel query #Solved#
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shimano freewheel query #Solved#  (Read 698 times)

Stella Dave

Shimano freewheel query #Solved#
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:09 PM »
Have bought a Shimano SF-MX30 freewheel but it's thicker than one that has come off, the feewheel lugs are out past the axle nuts. Is this okay?
Also there was a washer behind original freewheel, should I leave that on behind new freewheel? Dropouts would be on the freewheel. If I remove the washer it goes back far enough but not sure if would wreck the metal on wheel?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 01:07 PM by Stella Dave »

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Shimano freewheel query
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 12:22 PM »
i would leave the washer on, and buy a longer axle. they are only about a a fiver from most shops. use washers to space it out so it doesnt rub on your dropouts.
I want to touch ORB

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 12:35 PM »
I have never seen a wheel with a washer behind the freewheel, so unless it's specific to thme there wheels, I would say the freewheel should tighten all the way on the thread, hopefully leaving enought clearance for the wheel to slide in and the cone nut sit against the inside of the dropout.

Stella Dave

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 12:47 PM »
Two different opinions there!?
If I take the washer off it's fine for clearance, was just worried it would fek the hub?? Here's pic....

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 12:53 PM »
I would say as long as the freewheel doesn't foul the hub and the chain ring and freewheel line up, you will be fine running the wheel without the spacer.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:55 PM »
it looks like the washer is to prevent it tightening on to the hub.

what sandro said is right tho, if it doesnt touch or foul the mag, you should be able to lose it.
I want to touch ORB

Stella Dave

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Thanks guys, seems to be fine. Will just have to try it and see!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano freewheel query #Solved#

gfxgfx
gfx gfx