gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 07:46 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How do you strip chrome?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How do you strip chrome?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
How do you strip chrome?
« on: July 11, 2006, 11:56 AM »
Ive got some chrome standing gear forks that Id like to strip of their chrome and have painted - anyone know how you get chrome off? Any help appreciated!

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: How do you strip chrome?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 12:05 PM »
Need dipping normally by a chromer .

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 12:43 PM »
sandpaper/wet and dry.
I want to touch ORB

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 08:31 PM »
take it to a plater they will reverse the process :daumenhoch:
British race frames and race clothing wanted

duncan

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:49 PM »
sandpaper/wet and dry.

I've got a frame that looks like it has had chrome plating removed.
The trouble is they didn't remove it all, there's bands of it left here & there.

I haven't tried sanding yet, I'm just worrying that the chrome plate might be harder than the tubing underneath and I'll just be sanding the tubing.
If I can sand it off then so much the better, I think I want it painted and don't want to have to pay for the plating being removed electrochemically.

The plating has to come off, as it gives a really rough surface at the moment. Thanks.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 12:02 AM »
Can`t you just take the shine off and paint or powder over the top  ???
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

duncan

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 01:04 AM »
If it was an even covering of chrome that would be fine.
Most of the chrome's removed, but there are patches and streaks of it left.
It would look bad with paint, you'd see the lines and bumps underneath. Powder would probably cover it and give an even finished surface.

I'll give it a try on a small area with wet 'n dry, see if it comes off.
It's a GT frame, were they powdercoated originally? I'm probably being way too fussy, there's dents to fix first :)

theRuler

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 10:45 AM »
Ive got some chrome standing gear forks that Id like to strip of their chrome and have painted - anyone know how you get chrome off? Any help appreciated!

leave the chrome on

you can powder straight over chrome
or rough it up and spray over it

cd

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 04:26 PM »
I concur with TheRuler. The are 4 ways pwder coaters work, each getting more expensive:

A. Top coat only
B. Zinc / Iron phosphate to clean the metal and form a crystal rust barrier + Top Coat
C. Zinc / Iron phosphate to clean the metal and form a crystal rust barrier + Etching primer + Top Coat
D. Grit blasting + Zinc / Iron phosphate to clean the metal and form a crystal rust barrier + Etching primer + Top Coat

A lot of powder coaters are not too good at handling primers - they tend to over cook the paint and then the top coat peels off. I would get it blasted, zinc phosphate dipped (not iron) then ask for a good thick top coat.

I get a lot of powder coating done for my business - frankly the reason powder is used is they (the companies) can employ less skilled people (and it does go up the tubes). If you want a truly great finish simply go to a local car sprayers and get some 2 pack. Its rock solid and they will have a low bake oven - they will have a wider range of stock colours left over from previous jobs. Powder coaters tend to work with a smaller range of colours.

Getting back to your point - don't worry about the chrome, if you don't want to get it blasted then just rub it down. If you do rub the frame metal it doesn't matter. All you need to do is key the metal and have it clean - just use a medium wet and dry paper.

cd

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 04:31 PM »
will powder coat cover with a smooth finish if the chrome is flaking or pitted?

cd

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Moose,

No.. :'( ...... powder isn't magic unfortunately. The surface has to be smooth but lightly keyed to get a good finish that will adhere properly. Hence a fine grit blast for those who don't fancy rubbing for hours on end. Wet sprayers (ala paint cans) can put multiple coats on much easier if you are after a show finish. Multiple coats with powder is more difficult since it has to be baked in between each coat to melt the resin beads.

cd

ash

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 05:21 PM »
cant the chrome be vapour blasted? then use a high build primer  :daumenhoch:

silentpartner

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 05:28 PM »
i believe the guy who powder coats mine, sand blast's the frame, forks, ect..................... before coating  :-\

cd

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Duncan,

You mentioned if GT frames were powder coated originally. I doubt it as powder has only recently had widespread use in the last 15 years.

cd

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 07:04 PM »
I'm not sure if GT's were powder coated but there were some early BMX manufacturers that powder coated - I'm sure Mongoose was one

cd

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 07:19 PM »
Powder is good for tubes as the electrical charge collects the paint up the tubes so maybe they were early adopters....

David

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 08:36 PM »
Old School  -  Stove Enamel   8)

cd

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 11:46 PM »
see http://www.srm-engineering.com/paint

I'm coming across as a bit of a nerd here, but, I believed stove e was predominantly a UK process with respect to bike frames.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:50 PM by cd »

duncan

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice, not had a chance to try sanding the frame yet as I've been away.
I just thought it might be overly expensive to get the frame electrochemically dipped just to remove the remaining remnants of chrome.
I doubt very much I would chrome plate this frame, it would cost several times what the frame itself cost.
Are you saying media blasting will remove chrome too? I presume soft media, I've read not to use hard blast on bike frames.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How do you strip chrome?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx